Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Blogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old
Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Algae Scrubber Basics 10 of 14

Posted 02/19/2012 at 09:35 AM by Floyd R Turbo

LEDs – Why they are different

LEDs are a completely different source of light. Fluorescent, metal halide, HPS, and other HID lighting are all mercury based, and the light is shifted from the ultraviolet range into the visible range with phosphors. LEDs emit certain colors of light depending on the compounds used in the diode itself, so it is initially visible light; phosphors are then sometimes used to shift wavelength to achieve various colors.

LEDs, very recently,...
Either busy or sleeping
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10605 Comments 0 Floyd R Turbo is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Algae Scrubber Basics 11 of 14

Posted 02/19/2012 at 09:35 AM by Floyd R Turbo

Again, patch growth, but only green....
Either busy or sleeping
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7998 Comments 0 Floyd R Turbo is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Algae Scrubber Basics 12 of 14

Posted 02/19/2012 at 09:36 AM by Floyd R Turbo

Electrical Protection

This should really go without saying, but you should always plug your lights into Ground-Fault protected receptacles (GFCI).

Always use waterproof sockets for your CFLs and end caps for your T5HO lamps. This is a little more expensive, but is necessary to avoid corrosion and electrocution. Generally, waterproof CFL sockets do a pretty good job of sealing the base and socket from moisture, but they still should be silicone sealed for an extra...
Either busy or sleeping
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 10852 Comments 0 Floyd R Turbo is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Algae Scrubber Basics 13 of 14

Posted 02/19/2012 at 09:37 AM by Floyd R Turbo

Slot pipe clog prevention

This issue is brought up on a pretty regular basis. Obviously, no one wants an overflow pipe to clog and overflow their tank. Most people take precautions to prevent livestock from entering the overflow pipe, such as an intake screen. In the case of the scrubber, they’re worried about the algae growing thick enough to stop flow at the point where the screen and pipe slot meet.

Almost without exception, this question is posed by someone who...
Either busy or sleeping
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7387 Comments 0 Floyd R Turbo is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

240 gallon reef build

Posted 02/21/2012 at 08:29 PM by rixhater
Tags 240, build, custom, diy, reef

This is my first blog or post. I am new to this so please forgive me for any errors i make with posting. I will try my best to learn this quickley.

I currently have a 90gallon mixed reef with only a few corals and a few fish. I have been wanted to upgrade and go to a larger tank for a long time and have not gone all out crazy with the 90 gallon because i knew i would be upgrading and didnt want to invest in a lot of equipment that would soon change. The 90 gallon has been running...
Registered Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 22664 Comments 9 rixhater is offline Edit Tags