View Single Post
Old 01/12/2017, 12:47 PM   #2089
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsea View Post
bnumair, thanks for putting this info together for all of us. 30 years in the hobby and I am finally setting up a quarantine tank lol.
Just so you know we really are paying attention, you confused me with this post saying never use water from existing tank when back in your first post you said
" Emergency QT.
In case you feel a need for a QT, just put together all the equipment and put water from your main tank in it and you are good to go.

I have a 30 gallon tank set up next to and plumbed to my 120 display. Was going to be a frag tank but now it will morph into a quarantine tank. Isolating it from display. If I leave it fallow for a while, ok to use display water or not?
Thanks. And again great job with this thread. Thanks.
Hi
Thank you for pointing that out. Let me clarify emergency QT is a totally different ball game. It is one of the harder QT to maintain. If you read further it will tell you that you will have to maintain water quality on daily to hourly basis. You can start off with the main tank water but eventually you will do so many water changes that they'll be none left. That still is an outdated method I do not recommend that anymore. I would strongly recommend starting with freshly-made saltwater. Things have changed since I wrote this last. There are water stabilizing chemicals that are available in the market that were not tested or were not available or we didn't have enough feedback on them back then. Things are so much changing in this Hobby that some mothers do get updated or outdated.
Anyways it's always best to start with new saltwater with parameters as close yo main tank. ( temp, ph, salinity)

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote