Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08/23/2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Anthonius
Registered Member

Cool 6 bulb configuration

Alright folks I got my bulbs but would like some input as to how i should put them in order in my t5 6 bulb fixture i have these bulbs.

3x ATI Blue +
1x ATI Aquablue Special
1x KZ Fiji Purple
1x GE 6500k

I was thinking:

Front

Blue+
Blue+
Fiji Purp
GE 6500k
Aquablue Special
Blue+
Back

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Anthonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 12:58 AM   #2
Anthonius
Registered Member

well for the time being im going to hook it up as listed and if i can get a reason to change it i will do so.

Old 08/24/2010, 01:07 AM   #3
CNGH
Registered Member

i have almost the same config, except i have a pure actinic instead of the AB special.

and to me, the 6500 makes it look a little too yellow... it's not a crisp icy blue like a phoenix 14k. i dunno if that's the look you're after, maybe the AB special will make all the difference.

for my setup i was thinking of swapping out the 6500 for an AB special and leave everything else.

SFVR
SCNRS
CNGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 07:55 AM   #4
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

I would move the Fiji Purple up one slot if it were me but other than that it looks good.

Try to avoid clumping lights together. For example, you have 2 bulb bulbs clumped and then 3 daylights clumped in the middle. Your colors aren't evenly spread out.

ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 20g Long (30x12x12) | 4x24w/1x75w ATI LED Powermodule | Tunze 6045 & 6015
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 08:14 AM   #5
Kache
Registered Member

Front
Blue+
Fiji purple
aquablue (white color)
antic plus (black light color)
Midday (yellow for growth)
Blue+
Back

Kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 10:32 AM   #6
jeffeg
Registered Member

On most 6 bulb t5 configurations, the 2 and the 5 slot are seperate from the others to allow for dawn/dusk effect so alot of people are going to have their blue+/actinic in those slots.

I have a ati 6 bulb ati pm and I run the following bulbs

blue+
blue+
Fiji Purple
Aquablue
blue+
blue+

jeffeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 10:43 AM   #7
AC-WEB
Registered Member

I have the following six bulb combo and it works well.

front to back:
ATI blue plus
ATI blue plus
ATI blue plus
Fiji purple
ATI blue plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffeg View Post
On most 6 bulb t5 configurations, the 2 and the 5 slot are seperate from the others to allow for dawn/dusk effect so alot of people are going to have their blue+/actinic in those slots.

blue+
blue+
Fiji Purple
Aquablue
blue+
blue+

AC-WEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 10:43 AM   #8
NaClCrocodile
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffeg View Post

blue+
blue+
Fiji Purple
Aquablue
blue+
blue+
I have the same lights, but got a pretty bad spotlight right in the middle. I'm testing out running all the B+ bulbs one one circuit for dawn/dusk (with four bulbs on). It gives a nice even spread with all bulbs on but I'd really rather have them on the two light circuit. Oh well...

NaClCrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 12:20 PM   #9
jeffeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClCrocodile View Post
I have the same lights, but got a pretty bad spotlight right in the middle. I'm testing out running all the B+ bulbs one one circuit for dawn/dusk (with four bulbs on). It gives a nice even spread with all bulbs on but I'd really rather have them on the two light circuit. Oh well...
I actually tried that for a few days. Having 4 bulbs on as my dawn/dusk. I felt it was too much light imo since the 4 bulbs were on for so long, and it was super disco blue..like too blue for me. In my case, I run the 2 blue bulbs for 12 hrs and the other 4 for 6.5 hrs.

jeffeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 05:28 PM   #10
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonius View Post
well for the time being im going to hook it up as listed and if i can get a reason to change it i will do so.
Any pictures of it setup and lit? I'm looking for a similar combo.

Old 08/24/2010, 06:02 PM   #11
NaClCrocodile
Registered Member

EvMiBo, you're on the local boards, you can check mine out whenever, PM me.

NaClCrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2010, 08:27 PM   #12
Anthonius
Registered Member

I will put up some pics but im waiting on salt... fill up is this week hopefully... if i can make 80-90g of RO water... salt will be here on 26th according to UPS. 160g worth of reef crystals.

edit: ill take some pics with the BRS Reef Saver in there tho hopefully i can get them up tonight.

edit #2: and once i get water in the thing i will post up a thread for all to see. and i will post a link to it on this thread for anyone interested. I am kind of upset with myself for not taking pics along the way especially with how long its taken to get this tank setup. its been a few months i have been ordering parts here and there and finally its come down to filling up the tank hopefully later this week if all goes well. I think I may need a few 1.5" PVC elbows though I am short 2 of them.

Old 08/24/2010, 09:45 PM   #13
Anthonius
Registered Member

Sorry for the double post guys but i couldnt edit any further... heres the pics I said I would take... while its up feel free to comment on the rock work.

btw: the plastic cup is purple.

Heres the blue+:

Heres with the GE, Fiji, and Aquablue Special:

Heres a few shots with all the lights on:

Old 08/25/2010, 12:01 AM   #14
SammyJ916
Registered Member

I ran one GE 6500 in my 8 bulb tek and hated it! Way too yellow and washed out all the other bulbs, I did however like the uvl 75/25 I replaced it with. Just a suggestion, my buddy is using the new kz super blues and lives them, puts out almost the same color as ati blue plus but beats it in par readings. I havnt used them as of yet so I can't tell from a personal experience but they did look great over his tank!

SammyJ916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2010, 08:44 AM   #15
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyJ916 View Post
I ran one GE 6500 in my 8 bulb tek and hated it! Way too yellow and washed out all the other bulbs, I did however like the uvl 75/25 I replaced it with. Just a suggestion, my buddy is using the new kz super blues and lives them, puts out almost the same color as ati blue plus but beats it in par readings. I havnt used them as of yet so I can't tell from a personal experience but they did look great over his tank!

Do you happen to have a link that shows Superblues putting out more PAR than an ATI Blue Plus?

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 20g Long (30x12x12) | 4x24w/1x75w ATI LED Powermodule | Tunze 6045 & 6015
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2010, 10:31 AM   #16
lolgranny
The DQ King

Following

lolgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2010, 10:36 AM   #17
Anthonius
Registered Member

thanks and i would love to see the data on those kz super blues as well... ATI Blue+ are like staple bulbs for almost anyones fixture.