Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 10/12/2017, 05:42 PM   #1
mj561
Registered Member
 
mj561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 10
Help IDing these guys please

I just found these after I let my new live rock settle for a couple weeks. Can you tell me what they are? Brown one on the first pic and white ones on the second.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk


mj561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2017, 05:44 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12,499
aiptasia (regarded as bad..search for millions of threads about them) and second is a pineapple sponge (harmless/beneficial filter feeder)...

and here is a link to a site that has many of the common creatures,etc... that pops up in saltwater tanks.
https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2017, 06:02 PM   #3
mj561
Registered Member
 
mj561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
aiptasia (regarded as bad..search for millions of threads about them) and second is a pineapple sponge (harmless/beneficial filter feeder)...

and here is a link to a site that has many of the common creatures,etc... that pops up in saltwater tanks.
https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/
Thank you! The aiptasia is gone...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk


mj561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2017, 06:29 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj561 View Post
Thank you! The aiptasia is gone...
as in you removed it or you just don't see it anymore and think its gone (hint.. its probably not gone )


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2017, 06:31 PM   #5
mj561
Registered Member
 
mj561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
as in you removed it or you just don't see it anymore and think its gone (hint.. its probably not gone )
I took it out and flushed it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk


mj561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2017, 06:36 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12,499
sure you got it all?
How did you extract it?

Usually you need to resort to killing it with pickling lime/water or lemon juice or scalding hot water in a syringe,etc... as any small bit of it will grow right back..

With that rock you can also just remove it from the water and burn that SOB with a lighter/torch..


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2017, 07:02 AM   #7
mikenh77
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
sure you got it all?
How did you extract it?

Usually you need to resort to killing it with pickling lime/water or lemon juice or scalding hot water in a syringe,etc... as any small bit of it will grow right back..

With that rock you can also just remove it from the water and burn that SOB with a lighter/torch..
I agree. IME too they are a nightmare to kill. Tried Joe's juice, aiptasia x, copperband butterfly, matted filefish, and peppermints. And they are still surviving.

That being said, I hope you didn't tweezer it out. Because if any of it us left on the rock (which there always is) it'll grow back. And an stress response for aiptasia is to multiply. Ive taken extreme measures in my new tanks and took out the rock and literally torched the sucker. But I've found if it's on a small removable rock I can just encase it in a small amount of superglue and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


mikenh77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014