Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 10/10/2018, 09:23 PM   #126
Joe0813
Registered Member
 
Joe0813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston strong
Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamaroShow View Post
the only rule i feel is wonky is not being able to see the for sell threads until 90 days. because I would buy on here but I can't because I've only been on here for like 40-50 days. I can see not being able to sell to avoid scammers but to buy i don't see a issue with


I think that rule is so people don't come here, put up all their stuff for sale, sell it all then never contribute to anything


__________________
Joe and Jenny

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline  
Old 10/10/2018, 10:37 PM   #127
2_zoa
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
There are some people that still find time to post, update their threads, and talk in general. However, internet sites ebb and flow while some will grow others will fade. This may be one of those areas and/or sites. Some of the rules on this site are wonky and chased people away. Others just found other places to hang out.

If the owner sees no need to make changes it will run its own course in time.
I hope we are in the ebb phases and the flow will come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
Rumor has it one person left that because they thought they are promoting a book they wrote... One leaves and then others follow. Also some of the restrictions on linking to other forums.

He said she said rumors what have you. I've been around here since 2001 and have seen plenty of in-fighting not to mention cross forum hostility (reefs dot org comes to mind).

Not bashing whoever owns this site but just saying it is what it is and seasons change.
I can understand an urge to link other forums. However I think a separation is best.
If someone chooses to poll a different community about the same subject, fine. Just donít link it to another conversation to sway the opinion or tone of the subject. Others may know that another discussion is going on. They may even be a part of it. Yet, keeping it vague (not linked) does change the way that person would respond here vs there. That seeks users of both forums.


.....your other comment....what does that mean. Seasons change?
People, hops, humididly.


2_zoa is offline  
Old 10/11/2018, 04:09 AM   #128
Louis Z
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 1,236
I come to RC because of the experienced reefers that are willing to share their knowledge. When they stop posting I will frequent less and less. I love that I can visit a forum and get quality info or responses


Louis Z is offline  
Old 10/11/2018, 06:54 AM   #129
Fishkeeper01
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
If RC would host photos so that they show in the actual post (instead of clicking on the thumbnail), I know I'd post a lot more. I no longer have the patience to use a third party site to host my photos. I was planning to start a build thread then remembered how much of a PITA is it to post photos. I'm still feeling the sting of using Photobucket.
I relate to this. When I was searching the forums and trying to back track the old posts contains broken links since the posted photos were deleted from the thirdparty site.


Fishkeeper01 is offline  
Old 10/11/2018, 07:55 AM   #130
Fourstars
Registered Member
 
Fourstars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 165
That other place is so lovely and uplifting. It makes me want to barf! I prefer troll land.


__________________
Iím a human, not a bot.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 250
Fourstars is offline  
Old 10/11/2018, 09:00 AM   #131
BrianD
RC Mod
 
BrianD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Mattoon, IL
Posts: 31,685
Again, since the point keeps getting lost:

We have no blanket prohibition on linking to other sites. However, there are a few sites that are filtered out due to past violations of our User Agreement (very few, probably one or two active sites).


__________________
Always strive for the optimum environment, not the minimum environment.

Current Tank Info: Empty
BrianD is offline  
Old 10/11/2018, 11:37 AM   #132
101010
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 46
I have always loved this forum and has been a regular visitor even when I didn't owned a SW tank ( this was mostly to visit the DIY section). But few changes that i would like with this forum is- 1) freedom to edit the post irrespective of the number of post count the member has. 2) my Original account was banned from this site without even giving a single warning. I had no idea what actually made the moderators to do so. The point that I am actually trying to make here is, even if 5% of the member who were banned had no intent to disrespect the forum and were as dedicated to the hobby as I am,the forum must have already lost a large number of members who could have been a potential flag bearers of this forum.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk


101010 is offline  
Old 10/11/2018, 02:56 PM   #133
BrianD
RC Mod
 
BrianD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Mattoon, IL
Posts: 31,685
I'm pretty sure it isn't Festivus yet.


__________________
Always strive for the optimum environment, not the minimum environment.

Current Tank Info: Empty
BrianD is offline  
Old 10/11/2018, 03:27 PM   #134
albano
SALTWATER since '73
 
albano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Katonah, NY/ San Fernando Ca./ Sea Isle City NJ
Posts: 6,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I'm pretty sure it isn't Festivus yet.
So I should put the pole away?


__________________
______________________________________

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline  
Old 10/11/2018, 03:33 PM   #135
BrianD
RC Mod
 
BrianD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Mattoon, IL
Posts: 31,685
Yes, and no tinsel. I find it distracting.


__________________
Always strive for the optimum environment, not the minimum environment.

Current Tank Info: Empty
BrianD is offline  
Old 10/11/2018, 03:41 PM   #136
Bpb
Registered Member
 
Bpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Yes, and no tinsel. I find it distracting.


Mods have jokes!?! Not sure how I feel about all this ha ha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Bpb is offline  
Old 10/11/2018, 05:39 PM   #137
Misled
RC Mod
 
Misled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 10,729
Blog Entries: 11
Mods are people too.


__________________
Jesse
If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon rimless Deep Blue lagoon under construction
Misled is offline  
Old 10/11/2018, 09:22 PM   #138
2_zoa
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Mods are people too.
Awe....you say that, but you donít mean it.





2_zoa is offline  
Old 10/11/2018, 09:54 PM   #139
Bpb
Registered Member
 
Bpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Mods are people too.


I mean....Iíve never actually SEEN a mod before. So I cannot fully trust that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Bpb is offline  
Old 10/12/2018, 05:02 AM   #140
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1
 
Member No. 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rehoboth, MA
Posts: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
I mean....Iíve never actually SEEN a mod before. So I cannot fully trust that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They DO Exist!

Think of the M&M/Santa commercial while viewing this.




__________________
Pete
"I never make mistakes...
I thought I did once, but I was wrong"

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline  
Old 10/12/2018, 11:52 AM   #141
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict
 
oseymour's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,514
Sadly this forum is dying. My honest opinions below
  • Old and outdated software, no new features
  • clay-boa - I know who the owner is, I see him at shows including Reefapalooza and MACNA, they sponsor and collaborate on stuff (BRS videos), they have notifications, the sales section I can sort by state so I can look at deals that are close by.
  • Other forums get more organic traffic from Google, they do articles, encourage Youtubers to post videos, experiment with badges. They just do more.
  • Sponsors are leaving - I came back recently because I needed Royal Exclusiv support and they are only here, other vendors are on other forums. I just did a count and RC is behind other forums on the number of sponsors.

This is just off the top of my head.

Edit: Also, things seem to be really petty around here - words being replaced etc. I've seen threads, members and things go badly on other forums and its handled a lot better than here. (A word in my 2nd bullet point got replaced with "clay-boa" - that's exactly the stuff I mean - to an adult, it seems childish)


__________________
Just started Red Sea Reefer 350 (75 Gallon) Build Thread - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2555495

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline  
Old 10/12/2018, 12:53 PM   #142
Fourstars
Registered Member
 
Fourstars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 165
For the record, I appreciate that RC has a forum titled responsible reef keeping. Can't support a site that denies global warming and the effect our hobby has on the reef. What's Clay Boa, and can I get a frag?


__________________
Iím a human, not a bot.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 250
Fourstars is offline  
Old 10/12/2018, 01:26 PM   #143
Fish559
Registered Member
 
Fish559's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 59
What if RC sponsored a YouTube build? There are lots of people online doing cool things: Inappropriate Reefer, Mile High Reefers, Mr. Saltwater Tank, Melevs Reef.

BRS is doing an amazing build/giveaway with WWC and the other forum. RC could try something like that.

I think people enjoy those series. Heck, even work with some legends (Sanjay, Mike Palletta). Send someone out to that crazy reef in that Hotel in Thailand. Or the guy who's building a public aquarium in his house in NYC. People find that interesting.

It would take a little money and a little time. But I think it'd be worth it.


Fish559 is offline  
Old 10/12/2018, 07:34 PM   #144
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: northen Wv
Posts: 134
we need deals and sales for members


TheCamaroShow is offline  
Old 10/12/2018, 07:55 PM   #145
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict
 
oseymour's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourstars View Post
For the record, I appreciate that RC has a forum titled responsible reef keeping. Can't support a site that denies global warming and the effect our hobby has on the reef. What's Clay Boa, and can I get a frag?


I tried to type the name of another forum and it got replaced with Clay Boa. The other forum thatís basically killing it right now.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
Just started Red Sea Reefer 350 (75 Gallon) Build Thread - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2555495

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline  
Old 10/12/2018, 08:59 PM   #146
BrianD
RC Mod
 
BrianD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Mattoon, IL
Posts: 31,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Again, since the point keeps getting lost:

We have no blanket prohibition on linking to other sites. However, there are a few sites that are filtered out due to past violations of our User Agreement (very few, probably one or two active sites).



__________________
Always strive for the optimum environment, not the minimum environment.

Current Tank Info: Empty
BrianD is offline  
Old 10/12/2018, 10:37 PM   #147
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 17,461
Unban the 2...
End the drama..


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline  
Old 10/12/2018, 10:57 PM   #148
2_zoa
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Again, since the point keeps getting lost:

We have no blanket prohibition on linking to other sites. However, there are a few sites that are filtered out due to past violations of our User Agreement (very few, probably one or two active sites).

I’m pretty sure it was Agu who once commented in an algae thread, to which I replied.....against his signature. “More biology and less technology “
At the time he was speaking negatively against algae scrubbers. Which I can’t go past 2015 to find said post.........

However.
I’ll return the favor to you.........
“How to make RC more active”......your signature...”Always strive for the optimum environment, not the minimum environment.”

What exactly do you suppose this thread is really about?
Do people come here because they love a minimum environment?


Not trying to be rude in any way... however, you put that signature there. Not me. Then try to stand on a platform that only RC cares about.
We are all here to be better care takers of our reefs. IF, someone chooses to try and make a mockery and use other forums links.......then ban them individually.


2_zoa is offline  
Old 10/12/2018, 11:50 PM   #149
Anemone
Cloning Around

 
Anemone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Valencia, California
Posts: 24,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
I mean....Iíve never actually SEEN a mod before. So I cannot fully trust that
Have you ever seen a mod and superman at the same time. Or a mod and ironman? Just something to think about...

Kevin


__________________
Back in the pool, swimming with the sharks...

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline  
Old 10/12/2018, 11:55 PM   #150
Anemone
Cloning Around

 
Anemone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Valencia, California
Posts: 24,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
IF, someone chooses to try and make a mockery and use other forums links.......then ban them individually.
It wasn't individuals. It was a concerted effort by a certain forum to drive traffic to their forum via RC. Multiple warnings were given. Using the text replacement feature of the forum software was a last resort. Sorry if we don't feel the overwhelming need to go back and undo what they forced us to do many years ago.

Kevin


__________________
Back in the pool, swimming with the sharks...

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.