Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 10/10/2018, 09:23 PM   #126
Joe0813
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamaroShow View Post
the only rule i feel is wonky is not being able to see the for sell threads until 90 days. because I would buy on here but I can't because I've only been on here for like 40-50 days. I can see not being able to sell to avoid scammers but to buy i don't see a issue with

I think that rule is so people don't come here, put up all their stuff for sale, sell it all then never contribute to anything

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Old 10/10/2018, 10:37 PM   #127
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
There are some people that still find time to post, update their threads, and talk in general. However, internet sites ebb and flow while some will grow others will fade. This may be one of those areas and/or sites. Some of the rules on this site are wonky and chased people away. Others just found other places to hang out.

If the owner sees no need to make changes it will run its own course in time.
I hope we are in the ebb phases and the flow will come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
Rumor has it one person left that because they thought they are promoting a book they wrote... One leaves and then others follow. Also some of the restrictions on linking to other forums.

He said she said rumors what have you. I've been around here since 2001 and have seen plenty of in-fighting not to mention cross forum hostility (reefs dot org comes to mind).

Not bashing whoever owns this site but just saying it is what it is and seasons change.
I can understand an urge to link other forums. However I think a separation is best.
If someone chooses to poll a different community about the same subject, fine. Just donít link it to another conversation to sway the opinion or tone of the subject. Others may know that another discussion is going on. They may even be a part of it. Yet, keeping it vague (not linked) does change the way that person would respond here vs there. That seeks users of both forums.

.....your other comment....what does that mean. Seasons change?
People, hops, humididly.

Old 10/11/2018, 04:09 AM   #128
Louis Z
Registered Member

I come to RC because of the experienced reefers that are willing to share their knowledge. When they stop posting I will frequent less and less. I love that I can visit a forum and get quality info or responses

Old 10/11/2018, 06:54 AM   #129
Fishkeeper01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
If RC would host photos so that they show in the actual post (instead of clicking on the thumbnail), I know I'd post a lot more. I no longer have the patience to use a third party site to host my photos. I was planning to start a build thread then remembered how much of a PITA is it to post photos. I'm still feeling the sting of using Photobucket.
I relate to this. When I was searching the forums and trying to back track the old posts contains broken links since the posted photos were deleted from the thirdparty site.

Old 10/11/2018, 07:55 AM   #130
Fourstars
Registered Member

That other place is so lovely and uplifting. It makes me want to barf! I prefer troll land.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 250
Old 10/11/2018, 09:00 AM   #131
BrianD
RC Mod

Again, since the point keeps getting lost:

We have no blanket prohibition on linking to other sites. However, there are a few sites that are filtered out due to past violations of our User Agreement (very few, probably one or two active sites).

Current Tank Info: Empty
Old 10/11/2018, 11:37 AM   #132
Registered Member

I have always loved this forum and has been a regular visitor even when I didn't owned a SW tank ( this was mostly to visit the DIY section). But few changes that i would like with this forum is- 1) freedom to edit the post irrespective of the number of post count the member has. 2) my Original account was banned from this site without even giving a single warning. I had no idea what actually made the moderators to do so. The point that I am actually trying to make here is, even if 5% of the member who were banned had no intent to disrespect the forum and were as dedicated to the hobby as I am,the forum must have already lost a large number of members who could have been a potential flag bearers of this forum.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

Old 10/11/2018, 02:56 PM   #133
BrianD
RC Mod

I'm pretty sure it isn't Festivus yet.

Old 10/11/2018, 03:27 PM   #134
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I'm pretty sure it isn't Festivus yet.
So I should put the pole away?

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
Old 10/11/2018, 03:33 PM   #135
BrianD
RC Mod

Yes, and no tinsel. I find it distracting.

Old 10/11/2018, 03:41 PM   #136
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, and no tinsel. I find it distracting.

Mods have jokes!?! Not sure how I feel about all this ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 10/11/2018, 05:39 PM   #137
Misled
RC Mod

Mods are people too.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon rimless Deep Blue lagoon under construction
Old 10/11/2018, 09:22 PM   #138
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Mods are people too.
Awe....you say that, but you donít mean it.

Old 10/11/2018, 09:54 PM   #139
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Mods are people too.

I mean....Iíve never actually SEEN a mod before. So I cannot fully trust that

Old 10/12/2018, 05:02 AM   #140
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post

They DO Exist!

Think of the M&M/Santa commercial while viewing this.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Old 10/12/2018, 11:52 AM   #141
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

Sadly this forum is dying. My honest opinions below
  • Old and outdated software, no new features
  • clay-boa - I know who the owner is, I see him at shows including Reefapalooza and MACNA, they sponsor and collaborate on stuff (BRS videos), they have notifications, the sales section I can sort by state so I can look at deals that are close by.
  • Other forums get more organic traffic from Google, they do articles, encourage Youtubers to post videos, experiment with badges. They just do more.
  • Sponsors are leaving - I came back recently because I needed Royal Exclusiv support and they are only here, other vendors are on other forums. I just did a count and RC is behind other forums on the number of sponsors.

This is just off the top of my head.

Edit: Also, things seem to be really petty around here - words being replaced etc. I've seen threads, members and things go badly on other forums and its handled a lot better than here. (A word in my 2nd bullet point got replaced with "clay-boa" - that's exactly the stuff I mean - to an adult, it seems childish)

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
Old 10/12/2018, 12:53 PM   #142
Fourstars
Registered Member

For the record, I appreciate that RC has a forum titled responsible reef keeping. Can't support a site that denies global warming and the effect our hobby has on the reef. What's Clay Boa, and can I get a frag?

Current Tank Info: Reefer 250
Old 10/12/2018, 01:26 PM   #143
Fish559
Registered Member

What if RC sponsored a YouTube build? There are lots of people online doing cool things: Inappropriate Reefer, Mile High Reefers, Mr. Saltwater Tank, Melevs Reef.

BRS is doing an amazing build/giveaway with WWC and the other forum. RC could try something like that.

I think people enjoy those series. Heck, even work with some legends (Sanjay, Mike Palletta). Send someone out to that crazy reef in that Hotel in Thailand. Or the guy who's building a public aquarium in his house in NYC. People find that interesting.

It would take a little money and a little time. But I think it'd be worth it.

Old 10/12/2018, 07:34 PM   #144
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

we need deals and sales for members

Old 10/12/2018, 07:55 PM   #145
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourstars View Post
For the record, I appreciate that RC has a forum titled responsible reef keeping. Can't support a site that denies global warming and the effect our hobby has on the reef. What's Clay Boa, and can I get a frag?

I tried to type the name of another forum and it got replaced with Clay Boa. The other forum thatís basically killing it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
Old 10/12/2018, 08:59 PM   #146
BrianD
RC Mod

Quote:

We have no blanket prohibition on linking to other sites. However, there are a few sites that are filtered out due to past violations of our User Agreement (very few, probably one or two active sites).

Old 10/12/2018, 10:37 PM   #147
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Unban the 2...
End the drama..

Old 10/12/2018, 10:57 PM   #148
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:

I’m pretty sure it was Agu who once commented in an algae thread, to which I replied.....against his signature. “More biology and less technology “
At the time he was speaking negatively against algae scrubbers. Which I can’t go past 2015 to find said post.........

However.
I’ll return the favor to you.........
“How to make RC more active”......your signature...”Always strive for the optimum environment, not the minimum environment.”

What exactly do you suppose this thread is really about?
Do people come here because they love a minimum environment?

Not trying to be rude in any way... however, you put that signature there. Not me. Then try to stand on a platform that only RC cares about.
We are all here to be better care takers of our reefs. IF, someone chooses to try and make a mockery and use other forums links.......then ban them individually.

Old 10/12/2018, 11:50 PM   #149
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
Have you ever seen a mod and superman at the same time. Or a mod and ironman? Just something to think about...

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Old 10/12/2018, 11:55 PM   #150
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
IF, someone chooses to try and make a mockery and use other forums links.......then ban them individually.
It wasn't individuals. It was a concerted effort by a certain forum to drive traffic to their forum via RC. Multiple warnings were given. Using the text replacement feature of the forum software was a last resort. Sorry if we don't feel the overwhelming need to go back and undo what they forced us to do many years ago.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Closed Thread