Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 08/17/2017, 08:21 PM   #26
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 12,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by studboy36 View Post
Wow! What a skimmer! It's built like a tank and beautiful! It's heavy and well crafted. It looks like the pump has 0-10V control. That feature wasn't listed on the premium aquatics site. I've never owned a skimmer like this before. This is the first time that I've spent this much on a skimmer. It looks like it's worth the money and it will last years when it's put in service. I am disappointed though that I thought that I was buying this skimmer with the anti-lime bypass feature. It doesn't have it. Having paid $1200 for it. I should expect it to be flawless. It's not. There is damage to the volute, and it makes me not trust that it will be fully functional when it's put into operation. This is not acceptable.

The last pic is of the rollermat sump based on Elite Aquatics design only mine is bigger and it will have covers.

Attachment 378212

Attachment 378213

Attachment 378214

Attachment 378215

Attachment 378216
That is the latest RD3 with the latest controller. Not only does it have 0-10v but it also has the disconnect between the pump and controller. AKB is not needed on that pump. They run silly cool and don't transfer heat and calcium buildup has never really been an issue in these pumps like it is in their AC counterparts as the heat is dissipated at the controller. The RD3 50 skimmer pumps don't include the AKB for that reason. In fact, even the RD3 on my Supermarin 250 doesn't have the AKB. Additionally, there is no room inside the Mini 200 with the RD3 50 with the AKB as the AKB extends to the back of the pump and on top of the volute. Not only would it interfere with the bubble plate but it would also interfere with the back edge of the pump inside that skimmer body. If you look at the images on the Royal Exclusiv website, you can see the pump doesn't include the AKB and if you look through the website at the RD3 50 skimmer pumps, you can see they don't include the AKB either.
http://royalexclusiv.net/en/skimmers...ni-speedy.html

As for the nick in the volute, that is nothing to be concerned with. It's likely that the RD3 controller rubbed up against the volute in transit and definitely won't impact anything.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 08/17/2017 at 08:47 PM.
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2017, 08:37 PM   #27
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 12,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by studboy36 View Post
Wow! What a skimmer! It's built like a tank and beautiful! It's heavy and well crafted. It looks like the pump has 0-10V control. That feature wasn't listed on the premium aquatics site. I've never owned a skimmer like this before. This is the first time that I've spent this much on a skimmer. It looks like it's worth the money and it will last years when it's put in service. I am disappointed though that I thought that I was buying this skimmer with the anti-lime bypass feature. It doesn't have it. Having paid $1200 for it. I should expect it to be flawless. It's not. There is damage to the volute, and it makes me not trust that it will be fully functional when it's put into operation. This is not acceptable.

The last pic is of the rollermat sump based on Elite Aquatics design only mine is bigger and it will have covers.

Attachment 378212

Attachment 378213

Attachment 378214

Attachment 378215

Attachment 378216
Clean the skimmer with some vinegar on a rag before you put it into serice. I suggest a speed setting between 26-32 watts for that particular skimmer. Around 8.5" of water should be ideal. I think you will be VERY pleased with the skimmers performance. Frankly, I'd forgo the 0-10v control. You have finer control via the RD3 control interface anyway as it makes tuning the skimmer a breeze without the need for playing with 0-10v settings. By the way, that is a very nice sump!


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2017, 08:44 PM   #28
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor
 
ReefClownMIA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 299
We'll have a look tomorrow if we have a replacement volute for the MBK RD3 pump - if we do, we'll go ahead and swap it out for you. We want you to be fully satisfied with your new Royal Exclusiv gear!

As scott mentioned regarding the AKB, the RD3 50/60 do not have or require the AKB due to the design and specs.


__________________
Marco
Royal Exclusiv USA - Fort Myers, FL Operations
For All Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2017, 09:02 PM   #29
studboy36
Registered Member
 
studboy36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 130
Smile

Ok Scott. I'll take your word for it, and not be concerned about it. I really I like this skimmer. I feel like I should put it in a display case. Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

One thing I noticed is that Royal exclusiv ships a lot of air in that skimmer box. You probably ship in a 20 ft container for the most part and you want to fill it with product not air. It appears that the packaging was an after thought. The presentation matters as well as adequately protecting the product from shipping damage. A few pieces of bubble wrap doesn't cut it. Ditch the peanuts as they are a total pain to deal with. Bio degradable foam inserts designed to surround the product that are easily removable would be great. They're using the wrong zip lock bag for the manual. Needs to be a little bigger. If I'm going to pay $1200 for a skimmer and another $1100 for a RD pump, I expect it to be professionally packaged. They should contract out to a packaging engineer to redesign the packaging.

Having said all that. I don't regret buying the skimmer. It's the right size skimmer, and I have you to thank for assisting me. I'm going to buy the RD 150 pump in the next month and I have you to thank for that as well. I've never spent this much money on a skimmer or pump before. They will last for years with proper maintenance.



__________________
Lurk, Search, and Research are the keys to finding information on RC

Current Tank Info: SCA eurobraced 185 60"x30"x24" Zeovit system in process
studboy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2017, 09:08 PM   #30
studboy36
Registered Member
 
studboy36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefClownMIA View Post
We'll have a look tomorrow if we have a replacement volute for the MBK RD3 pump - if we do, we'll go ahead and swap it out for you. We want you to be fully satisfied with your new Royal Exclusiv gear!

As scott mentioned regarding the AKB, the RD3 50/60 do not have or require the AKB due to the design and specs.
Excellent! Thank you!


__________________
Lurk, Search, and Research are the keys to finding information on RC

Current Tank Info: SCA eurobraced 185 60"x30"x24" Zeovit system in process
studboy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2017, 09:20 PM   #31
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 12,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by studboy36 View Post
Ok Scott. I'll take your word for it, and not be concerned about it. I really I like this skimmer. I feel like I should put it in a display case. Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

One thing I noticed is that Royal exclusiv ships a lot of air in that skimmer box. You probably ship in a 20 ft container for the most part and you want to fill it with product not air. It appears that the packaging was an after thought. The presentation matters as well as adequately protecting the product from shipping damage. A few pieces of bubble wrap doesn't cut it. Ditch the peanuts as they are a total pain to deal with. Bio degradable foam inserts designed to surround the product that are easily removable would be great. They're using the wrong zip lock bag for the manual. Needs to be a little bigger. If I'm going to pay $1200 for a skimmer and another $1100 for a RD pump, I expect it to be professionally packaged. They should contract out to a packaging engineer to redesign the packaging.

Having said all that. I don't regret buying the skimmer. It's the right size skimmer, and I have you to thank for assisting me. I'm going to buy the RD 150 pump in the next month and I have you to thank for that as well. I've never spent this much money on a skimmer or pump before. They will last for years with proper maintenance.
While the packaging could be better, we have never really had any issues with damage to the skimmers in transit. If anything, I might change the boxes that the pumps go into. Also keep in mind that die cut foam inserts aren't cheap and they take up a lot of space in a warehouse. Especially when you have dozens of different skimmer models that would each require different cut foam inserts. While the peanuts are a pain, (god knows, I know as I have unpacked and repacked dozens of the skimmers at the trade shows) the peanuts are universal, inexpensive, light weight and have proven to be effective. The box the skimmers go into are huge so there is plenty of protection in there for the skimmer itself. Plus, they add Germany adds extra attention to detail with that nifty Royal Exclusiv cloth bag that the skimmer ships in. You do have a good point about the container shipments though. It would save some space having smaller tighter fitting boxes but larger boxes for domestic ground shipments even if filled with peanuts adds extra protection.

As for the zip lock bag that the manual ships in.. Not sure what to say there. Mine came in the same bag when I bought my Supermarin and I never noticed it. I am sure they use a readily available zip lock bag to place the manuals in. Besides, who looks at manuals these days.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2017, 09:23 PM   #32
studboy36
Registered Member
 
studboy36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Clean the skimmer with some vinegar on a rag before you put it into serice. I suggest a speed setting between 26-32 watts for that particular skimmer. Around 8.5" of water should be ideal. I think you will be VERY pleased with the skimmers performance. Frankly, I'd forgo the 0-10v control. You have finer control via the RD3 control interface anyway as it makes tuning the skimmer a breeze without the need for playing with 0-10v settings. By the way, that is a very nice sump!
Scott I'm a mechanical engineer. I used my cad tool (Solidworks) to layout the sump based on Elite Aquatics initial design. The rollermat that you see in the pic is one that I bought and modeled. It's really accurate down to the actual gear size. I need to discuss with elite a few dimensions for verification.

Now that I have the skimmer I'll model it over the weekend and place it. I know it will fit based on a preliminary layout with the zeovit reactor, but now I can start to design a proper lid. I'm going to use Solidworks to route the piping/fittings for best placement in the stand. I need to make the pump chamber a little wider for the pump and heaters. All the cords will be routed in the sump like they are done in a dreambox. You'll start to see the progression.


__________________
Lurk, Search, and Research are the keys to finding information on RC

Current Tank Info: SCA eurobraced 185 60"x30"x24" Zeovit system in process
studboy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2017, 09:27 PM   #33
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 12,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by studboy36 View Post
Scott I'm a mechanical engineer. I used my cad tool (Solidworks) to layout the sump based on Elite Aquatics initial design. The rollermat that you see in the pic is one that I bought and modeled. It's really accurate down to the actual gear size. I need to discuss with elite a few dimensions for verification.

Now that I have the skimmer I'll model it over the weekend and place it. I know it will fit based on a preliminary layout with the zeovit reactor, but now I can start to design a proper lid. I'm going to use Solidworks to route the piping/fittings for best placement in the stand. I need to make the pump chamber a little wider for the pump and heaters. All the cords will be routed in the sump like they are done in a dreambox. You'll start to see the progression.
Ahhh. I didn't realize that was your design.. Very nice! Mechanical engineer huh?? That explains your keen attention to detail about our packaging! Your observations were a first for me since I came on board over 2 years ago. Now I understand why.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014