Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/13/2017, 02:32 PM   #1
mikeperkins
Registered Member

Clown Tang

I am thinking about adding a clown tank to my tank which is a 150g high. Liveaquera list the min tank size for them as 250g but I have also heard 150g should be fine. I have also heard that they can get pretty aggressive when they are larger. I currently have a sailfin and yellow tang. I think the clown tang is really cool but do not want to add issues. I was looking for advice from someone who has experience witt clown tangs.

Thanks

mikeperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2017, 02:39 PM   #2
jacksonpt
Registered Member

I've tried them 2x in previous tanks, and while I never had any temperment/personality issues, they are probably the most active fish I've ever kept. I don't think I'd put one in a 6' tank... but that's me, and I tend to be a bit over-"cautious" when stocking my tanks.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2017, 02:43 PM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeperkins View Post
I am thinking about adding a clown tank to my tank which is a 150g high. Liveaquera list the min tank size for them as 250g but I have also heard 150g should be fine. I have also heard that they can get pretty aggressive when they are larger. I currently have a sailfin and yellow tang. I think the clown tang is really cool but do not want to add issues. I was looking for advice from someone who has experience witt clown tangs.

Thanks
Bad idea. Not only will the clown tang kill all other fish in the tank eventually, a 150g is much too small for one. They constantly pace and anything under 10ft length will be inadequate. They are best left to single specimen very large tanks or in the ocean

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 2 MP60s, MP40, and a Tunze 6305
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2017, 02:44 PM   #4
Gweeds
Registered Member

I had one in a 5 x 2 x 2... error. It outright killed my regal at the time and gave my chevron a proper kicking... he was back in the LFS inside a week. The bigger the tank, the less the aggression by all accounts... I wouldn't risk it in a 150, unless you want rid of your other tangs lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gweeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2017, 04:30 PM   #5
mikeperkins
Registered Member

Thanks for the input everyone I will pass on the clown. It seems like Blue Hippos are hard to find anymore but I guess I will wait until I find one.

mikeperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2017, 12:19 AM   #6
Lsufan
Registered Member

I’m usually not the one to comment on tank sizes but your tank is way to small for the fish u want. In fact, it is to small for the sailfin that u already have. The only tangs I would consider putting in a 4’ tank is something like a Kole or mimic or one of the smaller Bristletooth tangs. Even with those I would only have one in that tank. Multiple in a 4’ tank will lead to issues with stress, aggression & the overall health of the animals.

I would seriously reconsider your stocking choices. I hate to be the bearer of bad news because I know I really like tangs, but a 4’ tank just isn’t big enough for anything but maybe one of the smaller ones. Being u already have a yellow, I would consider rehoming the sailfin & just stick to the yellow as far as tangs.

Lsufan is online now   Reply With Quote