Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/02/2018, 05:08 PM   #1
abbyoneshoe
Registered Member

Needing advice regarding a hang on skimmer

Hi i'm a noob i filled up my new tank 145 litres and placed the live rocks and sand in wooohoo. Now i have a problem i have been looking at skimmers but my tank has a glass shelf running around the top about 3" all the way around the top.

The gap either side is pretty small to fit pipes for the inflow of a hang on the back skimmer.I have looked all night at diffrent models and cannot work out how the inflow pipe is going to fit through such a small gap on a hang on the back skimmer.

Any help or advice would be fantastic i'm not sure if i would need a internal pump with a pipe going to a hang on back skimmer or if i can get a all in one model what the inflow pipe would fit through such a small gap.

Thanks in advance and happy fishys.

abbyoneshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2018, 05:14 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

For a eurobraced tank where you want a HOB skimmer you likely just need to modify it by extending the horizontal sections of the inlet and outlet tubes..
Depending on which skimmer that may be accomplished by just cutting the tube and using tubing and hose clamps to extend it or PVC/slip unions..

Old 06/02/2018, 05:39 PM   #3
abbyoneshoe
Registered Member

Dang there expensive is there a cheaper option with just one inflow pipe that is a hang on the back skimmer i'm not cheap skate but seems a bit pricey and thanks for your reply

Old 06/02/2018, 05:40 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Flex pipe is maybe all that may work and working around the shelf as mcgyvr suggests.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2018, 06:24 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Well...no tank needs a skimmer so you always have the choice of not having one...

Old 06/02/2018, 07:18 PM   #6
abbyoneshoe
Registered Member

Urm now i'm more confused than ever!! I set up my fluval sea 13 gallon 8 weeks ago with live rock, live sand and a mini skimmer and my four fish seem very happy, the corals i bought did not do too well but one mushroom coral is growing great yippee.

Now i have a bigger tank what i have set up using the same method but i still need to purchase a skimmer and i think i will get a Hob.I did watch lots of videos on how to start a reef tank but i think i made a few mistakes by purchasing starter kits including a canister filter what came with the bigger tank.

The canister filter is a pain to clean and i end up with water everywhere so i will save my pennies and invest in a Hob.

My blue cheeked goby is called Bob and digs holes all day just like bob the builder, my tomato clown fish is called nim and begs to be feed constantly, my coral beauty is betty and is shy and last but ;0not least is my six line wrasse who can tell when its night time what i find quite weird.

Thanks for the advice and soon as i have a coral garden to be proud of i will post pics!!!

happy reefing!!

Old 06/02/2018, 10:08 PM   #7
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Have you considered adding a sump and putting a skimmer below the tank? Though I'm sure you would have the same issue with a HOB overflow

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2018, 05:04 AM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Not sure why your confused?
All mcgyvr points out (and of course is 100% correct) is this hobby does not require a skimmer, in fact I have seen great tanks without skimmer, or filter, just good LR, flow, light, and water changes.

Filters, sumps, plenum, skimmers, reactors, ATO, dozers, help us reduce the frequency of water changes or replenish elements used.

So you don't need tons of equipment at a large cost to be successful.

If you go this way, please research what is required on this site.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2018, 08:13 AM   #9
Fourstars
Registered Member

Doesn’t Tunze make a internal fully contained unit?

Here it is, held on by magnets. COMLINE DOC SKIMMER Bulk reef supply carries them.

Fourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2018, 08:13 AM   #10
abbyoneshoe
Registered Member

I was unaware that you can have a tank without a skimmer i guess i'm just looking for a simple method to get started and live rock and a skimmer seemed pretty good. Thanks guys for the information and i will watch more youtube vids until i understand the basics of keeping a marine tank.

Old 06/03/2018, 08:27 AM   #11
Fourstars
Registered Member

If your new and it’s a new tank a skimmer is a must. Gotta have.

Old 06/03/2018, 09:29 AM   #12
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourstars View Post
If your new and itís a new tank a skimmer is a must. Gotta have.
Nonsense.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2018, 10:22 AM   #13
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post
Nonsense.

Agreed

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2018, 11:34 AM   #14
abbyoneshoe
Registered Member

I think i have solved my problem i took a razor blade and carefully cut the silicone and removed the lip on one side of the tank now i can fit any hang on the back skimmer on one side of the tank or maybe even a internal skimmer i'm a genius!!

Can't wait to get my bigger tank started and have some pretty wrasses and corals, thanks all for the advice you learn something new everday.

Old 06/03/2018, 01:45 PM   #15
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
yep.. total BS...
NO tank needs a skimmer.. new or old..
There are plenty of people running successful tanks without skimmers..
They are not that efficient (30% at best) and are certainly not mandatory equipment..

Old 06/03/2018, 01:46 PM   #16
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyoneshoe View Post
I think i have solved my problem i took a razor blade and carefully cut the silicone and removed the lip on one side of the tank now i can fit any hang on the back skimmer on one side of the tank or maybe even a internal skimmer i'm a genius!!

Can't wait to get my bigger tank started and have some pretty wrasses and corals, thanks all for the advice you learn something new everday.
I would caution against removing what is likely a structural aspect of your tank.. You may have just created a situation where your tank will fail/break...

Lets see some pictures so we can see if you have caused any serious damage and need to immediately repair what you have done..

Old 06/03/2018, 03:08 PM   #17
abbyoneshoe
Registered Member

So here we go hope i aint broke my tank!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishy tank1.jpg (31.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg fishy tank 2.jpg (30.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg fishy tank 3.jpg (32.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 06/03/2018, 03:26 PM   #18
abbyoneshoe
Registered Member

The lip ran all the way around the inside of the tank to hold the liftable cover in place for feeding and keep condensation in i suppose. I just took the right hand corner piece out so my skimmer can hang on one side.The lights are on a flexi spring operation thing and can bend upwards.

I don't think ive done any damage the tank seems stable but i'm no expert.

Old 06/03/2018, 03:42 PM   #19
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
...i took a razor blade...I'm a genius...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I would caution against removing what is likely a structural aspect of your tank...
Quote:
The lip ran all the way around the inside of the tank to hold the liftable cover in place for feeding and keep condensation in i suppose...
A 38 gallon tank isn't huge, so the end might just be fine. BUT that part isn't a shelf, or for limiting condensation.

I'd suggest cleaning it really, really good and put it back like you found it with new silicone. let it set for a week to cure and then start again.

HTH, and best of luck with whatever you decide.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2018, 05:09 PM   #20
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post
Nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
Agreed
What the last two guys said!

I kept my 60g cube for 22 years and never had a skimmer. I used a dual biowheel HOB and a canister filter and although it required more regular maintenance it was a great tank.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, ASM G2 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, no skimmer (yet)
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2018, 05:23 PM   #21
Fourstars
Registered Member

So it’s nonsense, but in your sig you run a skimmer? Give me a break! Of course a tank can be managed without a skimmer, done it many times, but to suggest it to a newbie is irresponsible to the poster and the live stock.

Good job on your modification!

Old 06/03/2018, 05:34 PM   #22
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
So itís nonsense, but in your sig you run a skimmer? Give me a break! Of course a tank can be managed without a skimmer, done it many times, but to suggest it to a newbie is irresponsible to the poster and the live stock.

Good job on your modification!
Its not irresponsible at all..
A skimmer is 100% an "optional" piece of equipment as you have said yourself..
It can help reduce maintenance requirements by helping to remove organic compounds from the tank before they break down into ammonia/nitrates but it is absolutely not a mandatory piece of equipment. Many tanks actually do better without one...

Given the choice of not running a skimmer or removing structural bracing from the tank not running a skimmer wins every time as the better move..

That piece of glass needs to be put back as it serves a structural purpose and removing it has reduced the safety factor of the tank.. Does not having guarantee its going to leak/fail... NO.. but has it reduced the strength of the tank and stressed the seals more by removing it.. YES.. It now has a greater change of failing than it did before..

Old 06/03/2018, 05:52 PM   #23
Fourstars
Registered Member

Your still wrong to suggest that to a new reefer. the OP did not post a question on how to run a tank without a skimmer.

Old 06/03/2018, 06:18 PM   #24
Fourstars
Registered Member

It’s a small tank so your probably fine removing the brace, even better would be to re silicone it out far enough so you have room for the skimmer tube, that way you have the structional brace.

Old 06/03/2018, 07:27 PM   #25
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Your still wrong to suggest that to a new reefer. the OP did not post a question on how to run a tank without a skimmer.
Properly educating someone regardless of their experience level is never wrong..
Ive stated many times that people don't need a skimmer or gfo/media reactors or macro algae refugiums or fancy controllers,etc... to have a successful tank. And thats a fact
I will also continue to provide information above and beyond the question asked whenever I feel it may help.
Thanks for your opinion though. ...