Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > SpectraPure
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/16/2018, 12:29 PM   #1
Kengar
Registered Member

Color-Indicating MaxCap and Silica-Buster?

My maxcap is getting near to consumed (about 1/5 of the blue remaining), and I want to order new one. However, I don't see color-indicating indicated on any of the selections on the SP website. I do see Mega Maxcap, which is indicated to be the newest, and when I spoke to Charles a few months ago about another matter he mentioned that there was going to be a new product coming out with longer life. Is this it? Is it color-indicating?

Also, I have color-indicating Silica Buster. what sort of color change should I be seeing? It all appears to be black or dark dark blue above the resin separator. Could it be that there has been no consumption yet of the SB resin? (I do have very low readings come off the membranes, and 0 off the MC.)

Thanks.

Ken

Old 09/17/2018, 10:47 AM   #2
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengar View Post
My maxcap is getting near to consumed (about 1/5 of the blue remaining), and I want to order new one. However, I don't see color-indicating indicated on any of the selections on the SP website. I do see Mega Maxcap, which is indicated to be the newest, and when I spoke to Charles a few months ago about another matter he mentioned that there was going to be a new product coming out with longer life. Is this it? Is it color-indicating?

Also, I have color-indicating Silica Buster. what sort of color change should I be seeing? It all appears to be black or dark dark blue above the resin separator. Could it be that there has been no consumption yet of the SB resin? (I do have very low readings come off the membranes, and 0 off the MC.)

Thanks.

Ken
Hello Ken,

It sounds like you have our MaxCap system. If so, you should be using the TDS meter rather than the color indicating for changing out the DI filters. The MegaMaxCap is not color-indicating (nor the Enduro DI.) I would stick with the MaxCap-HC and SilicaBuster-HC (FK-MCSB-HC) in this case. We do not carry the Color-Indicting MaxCap at this time.

**Rule of thumb with the MaxCap and Silicabuster(MegaMaxCap and Enduro) (this will save you $$$ too)**

Once you replace your filters, keep an eye on the LEFT TDS METER - OUT reading and your RIGHT TDS METER - IN reading. This is essentially your POST membrane RO water and the MaxCap DI ppm going into your SilicaBuster DI.

Once your RIGHT TDS METER IN reading is HALF of your LEFT TDS METER - OUT reading, you can replace the MaxCap DI but your SilicaBuster should still be putting out 0ppm water. You can essentially change the MaxCap DI 2-3 times before needing to change your SilicaBuster

Example; your LEFT TDS METER - OUT reading is 10. Once your RIGHT TDS METER - IN shows 5, change the MaxCap. You should be able to do this 2-3 times before needing to change the SilicaBuster.

Old 09/17/2018, 01:15 PM   #3
Kengar
Registered Member

Hi there, and thanks for the reply.

First, I have the UHE MaxCap 180 gpd system (LOVE IT!), so you are correct there.

Re the MaxCap cartridge, why would you recommend just sticking with the HC instead of going to the MegaMaxCap?

Re the downstream DI cartridge, what is difference between Silica Buster and Enduro? Why do you recommend staying with the Silica Buster?

Re the color change versus TDS meter, in the past I have seen the inline TDS meter readings get a little "squirrelly". I do have "taps" installed into the lines to draw off samples and test with a stand-alone HM meter (the one sized and shaped sort of like refractometer), though that is more work than using the inline...... I just like the notion of having the color as a very easy, quick visual indicator, before I need to start checking with the meters.

About how much more usable life should I expect (in gallons, I guess, or percentage of total use) from the MaxCap once all blue is gone? If I like having the color-indicating feature as the early indicator, will you ever have that again, or have you done away with it so that people just have to use TDS meter (presumably for more accurate indication)?

Thanks.

Old 09/17/2018, 02:50 PM   #4
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengar View Post
Hi there, and thanks for the reply.

First, I have the UHE MaxCap 180 gpd system (LOVE IT!), so you are correct there.

Re the MaxCap cartridge, why would you recommend just sticking with the HC instead of going to the MegaMaxCap?

Re the downstream DI cartridge, what is difference between Silica Buster and Enduro? Why do you recommend staying with the Silica Buster?

Re the color change versus TDS meter, in the past I have seen the inline TDS meter readings get a little "squirrelly". I do have "taps" installed into the lines to draw off samples and test with a stand-alone HM meter (the one sized and shaped sort of like refractometer), though that is more work than using the inline...... I just like the notion of having the color as a very easy, quick visual indicator, before I need to start checking with the meters.

About how much more usable life should I expect (in gallons, I guess, or percentage of total use) from the MaxCap once all blue is gone? If I like having the color-indicating feature as the early indicator, will you ever have that again, or have you done away with it so that people just have to use TDS meter (presumably for more accurate indication)?

Thanks.
My apologies, I meant to say if you are using the MaxCap/Silicabuster to use the High-Capacity ones. If you want the latest DIs I would certinaly use the MegaMaxCap and Enduro Performance DI. You get more usage out of these new DIs!

The SilicaBuster and Enduro have different resins. The Enduro is our latest and highest capacity "polishing" DI that we have. Enduro > SilicaBuster-HC > SilicaBuster Color-Indicating

You are right, the inline can be + or - 1 or 2%, using a COM-100 handheld is the most accurate!

If you are currently using the MaxCap-Color Indicating DI at the moment, i would go based off the TDS meter, The MaxCap Color Indicating seems to show that it's exhausted when it has plenty of life left. It's hard to give a number, but i would keep a close eye and check it often to ensure you're not putting any impurities into your reservoir! We currently only have Color-Indicating SilicaBuster(standard or high-capacity) but no longer have the MaxCap or MegaMaxCap in color-indicating!