Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 05/16/2018, 10:12 PM   #1
Jedthefish420
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 19
help with blue LTA

so here's the low down:

i recently upgraded my tank from a 60 gallon to a 100 gallon. i used my live rock from my 60 gallon (~40-50lbs), 80% of the water, and the 60 gal was running for about 3-4years before the upgrade. i also transferred over 1 clown fish, some snails, hermit crabs, and miscellaneous corals. Before adding any new fish i let the 100gallon cycle for about 1 week. I added a snowflake clown (2 days later it died) and a Blue LTA the same day. The LTA seemed to be doing well for the first day. it opened up the second day, which when I fed it mysis shrimp. The 3rd day, i added purple up (i read somewhere that it would help with beneficial algae). NOW, my LTA is deflated and now on its side, but still has its color.

current tank parameters:

temp:77
Specific Gravity: 1.023-1.025
ammonia: 0
nitrite:0
nitrate:0
phosphate:0
dkh:9
CA:400

Here's what my Blue LTA now looks like:

[IMG][/IMG]


Jedthefish420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2018, 10:50 PM   #2
top shelf
Registered Member
 
top shelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 887
Purple up is basically snake oil. If you want corraline algae take a piece of LR and scrape it in front of a power head. Purple up is pretty much just a calcium supplement with a few other things added to it and marketed to help boost corraline which any calcium supplement will do with a lower price tag. It doesn't contain any actual algae in it. It may not have liked whatever else was in with it though or it could be coincidence if it was just added. What kind of lighting do you have? What flow is it in? By the looks of it your tank is bare bottom, lta like a sand bed that they can burry there foot in. That is likely the reason that it is all closed up and unhappy. If you want success with the anemone your going to need to add a few inches of sand.


__________________
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.
Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is a smoothie.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2018, 11:20 PM   #3
Jedthefish420
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
Purple up is basically snake oil. If you want corraline algae take a piece of LR and scrape it in front of a power head. Purple up is pretty much just a calcium supplement with a few other things added to it and marketed to help boost corraline which any calcium supplement will do with a lower price tag. It doesn't contain any actual algae in it. It may not have liked whatever else was in with it though or it could be coincidence if it was just added. What kind of lighting do you have? What flow is it in? By the looks of it your tank is bare bottom, lta like a sand bed that they can burry there foot in. That is likely the reason that it is all closed up and unhappy. If you want success with the anemone your going to need to add a few inches of sand.
I am running a 48-60Ē current orbit marine LED. I have hydor 1500gph power head. Yea I donít have any sand in my tank. I feel that itís harder to keep clean and maintain. I have read that placing the anemone in a bowl with sand in it also works. Any experiences with that?


Jedthefish420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 05:30 AM   #4
top shelf
Registered Member
 
top shelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 887
That light is good for fish only and maybe some soft corals in a really shallow tank. People have struggled to keep even BTA healthy under it.

Your power head is a little under powered. If that is your only means of flow your at about 15x turn over which is pretty low as well.

A bowl of sand can work but is more of a challenge, usually a nem will pick a place where it is happy with perfect flow and light. Now all that is on you and if you don't get it right it will only decline.


__________________
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.
Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is a smoothie.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 05:54 AM   #5
Dean Ladd
Registered Member
 
Dean Ladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Land-Of-Oz
Posts: 188
As previously stated LTAs need at least 2" to 4" of sand to place their foot in. A bowl of sand will probably not work. If the LTA is not happy with the location you put the sand bowl it will move and LTAs are notorious wonders.


__________________
Have Fun!
Dean

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 06:05 AM   #6
Dean Ladd
Registered Member
 
Dean Ladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Land-Of-Oz
Posts: 188
Covered some important tips for LTA placement in a system at the thread link below. Still no guarantee it will stay put.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...83&postcount=1


__________________
Have Fun!
Dean

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 10:16 AM   #7
MarinaP
Registered Member
 
MarinaP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,441
Foot got damaged during transfer. Pull it out, it will disintegrate shortly.


__________________
Marina
MarinaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 07:11 PM   #8
pfan151
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 1,683
Yep, time to flush this one. Do more research, and get better lighting before trying any anemone again.


pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 07:50 PM   #9
davocean
Registered Member
 
davocean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,522
Yep, foot looks terrible, and LTA really needs a sand bed


__________________
There's a fine line between owning your tank and your tank owning you!

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2018, 03:20 PM   #10
Swayze27
Registered Member
 
Swayze27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Warrior, AL
Posts: 494
Where's the red foot?


__________________
"Crime is a disease, I'm the cure" - Marion Cobretti

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon w/ 55 gallon sump
Swayze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2018, 10:48 PM   #11
idan555
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
That light is good for fish only and maybe some soft corals in a really shallow tank. People have struggled to keep even BTA healthy under it.

Your power head is a little under powered. If that is your only means of flow your at about 15x turn over which is pretty low as well.

A bowl of sand can work but is more of a challenge, usually a nem will pick a place where it is happy with perfect flow and light. Now all that is on you and if you don't get it right it will only decline.
+1.
I have this light till about month ago, I lost all my corals (1000$+) for this stupid light, it's junk. my water number was great, but this light give 0.5W per led not enough for corals growth.
I put it in the trash, and got 2 Ocean Revive over my 60gal tank.


idan555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2018, 08:12 PM   #12
top shelf
Registered Member
 
top shelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by idan555 View Post
+1.
I have this light till about month ago, I lost all my corals (1000$+) for this stupid light, it's junk. my water number was great, but this light give 0.5W per led not enough for corals growth.
I put it in the trash, and got 2 Ocean Revive over my 60gal tank.
An unfortunate and costly mistake, good to hear you decided to upgrade. I get why people buy these lights though. They offer many capabilities of higher end lights in a "affordable" package. The problem is the way they market them and the fact the one place they lack happens to be the most important and thats how much power they actually have. See so many purchase this light then ask what's wrong or end up spending more then they would have originally if they got the right light.


__________________
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.
Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is a smoothie.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.