Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/29/2008, 10:58 AM   #1
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Erectus & Reidi in same tank?

Any problems with having H. Reidi and S. Erectus in the same tank?

I currently have 4 pair of H. Reidi from Seahorsesource.com in a 95G DT. The system has a 25G sump, Octopus 150 reciriculating skimmer and refugium for copepod production. 125# liverock, lots of horse-safe coral.

The horses have lived for over a year with a pair of ocellaris clowns, (2) Royal Gramma, a Bangai cardinalfish, (2) twin spot gobies and (3) flame anthias. There has been no aggression toward the Reidi by their tankmates.

I was considering adding 2 pairs of Erectus from the Seahorsesource.com.

I will be upgrading the current system to a 120G within 90 days...maybe wait until the new tank before introducing the Erectus?

Suggestions based on actual experience?

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2008, 06:43 PM   #2
ann83
Registered Member

Talk to Dan. He knows his seahorses best.

I have no suggestions based on actual experience mixing reidi and erectus, but there's some actual experience in this thread http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?...c=21688&st=280

ann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Thanks

I'll ask Dan - in fact I hope to visit him in the next few weeks...

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2008, 10:09 PM   #4
pledosophy
Premium Member

I have mixed WC erectus and WC reidi together twice. In each case the erectus lived less then two weeks. It was a long time ago though, 2002ish.

There are many people that mix with no problems, many people mix and have problems, IMHO we don't have a definite answer yet but IMHO there is an increased danger.

Talk to Dan, do the reading, it can be done.

Old 11/29/2008, 11:29 PM   #5
PAULNOTB
Registered Member

Erectus can carry pathogens that seem to do them no harm but are very toxic to other types. I mixed erectus with a pair of established kudas and the kudas were dead within a week. I have never tried reidi with erectus though. Paul

PAULNOTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2008, 12:46 PM   #6
NewbieForever
Registered Member

My tank has both erectus and reidi and I have had no issues with them. I think my erectus trys to mate with my Reidi though, kind latchs tails and bobs his head back and forth and pales out his color. I dunno weird but they are healthy and doing fine together.

NewbieForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2008, 01:51 PM   #7
pledosophy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NewbieForever
My tank has both erectus and reidi and I have had no issues with them. I think my erectus trys to mate with my Reidi though, kind latchs tails and bobs his head back and forth and pales out his color. I dunno weird but they are healthy and doing fine together.
For how long?

It can be done, it just appears to be a bit more tricky.

pledosophy is offline   Reply With Quote