Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/01/2008, 05:57 PM   #1
mollymonticello
Registered Member

new Erectus seahorses

my new friends! They are super active and eating like pigs.

Current Tank Info: 55 + two 20 gallon refugiums coldwater with puffer, seahorses, gobies, crabs, starfish all from the Atlantic. 90 gallon w 20 gal refugium with Tilefish, Swallowtail Angel, Blue Tang, Clingfish, Naked Clown, Fancy white clown, brachio blenny, mollies
mollymonticello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2008, 06:39 PM   #2
inazuma
Registered Member

You've got yourself a good looking horse.

Are they from Dan?

inazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2008, 08:45 PM   #3
mollymonticello
Registered Member

Why, thank you, I'll be sure to tell him you said that.

Actually, they're not from Dan. I would've bought from Dan at seahorsesource.com if I had bought them, but these were a gift They originally came from Carlsbad aquafarms, who also have excellent seahorses, they just don't sell to the public. I've seen quite a few of Dan's seahorses in person, and met him and his family. If I was going to buy seahorses from anywhere, it would be there.

I do have to say, these are some of the healthiest and most active seahorses I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I adore them.

I haven't thought of names yet, anyone want to throw me some original or creative seahorse names?

Current Tank Info: 55 + two 20 gallon refugiums coldwater with puffer, seahorses, gobies, crabs, starfish all from the Atlantic. 90 gallon w 20 gal refugium with Tilefish, Swallowtail Angel, Blue Tang, Clingfish, Naked Clown, Fancy white clown, brachio blenny, mollies
Old 09/05/2008, 10:58 AM   #4
JennyL
Registered Member

What a stunning horse Molly! I love this species.

Speaking of naming horses, my brother has twin boys and I have never heard so much giggling going on as when they were sitting in front of a nursery trying to name about 250 erectus fry.

Thanks so much for sharing the beautiful photo.

Current Tank Info: 125 & 70 g Reefs- 9 Seahorse tanks
JennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2008, 10:00 PM   #5
pledosophy
Premium Member

That is a nice deep chest on that horsie.

I'd call him Arnold. If there are two males I'd go for Hans and Frans.

Beautiful animal.

Old 09/07/2008, 06:14 PM   #6
smurph1415
Registered Member

WOW, beautiful horse

smurph1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2008, 07:33 PM   #7
mollymonticello
Registered Member

Update: both are doing very well, eating a lot and dancing a lot. The male, "Juniper," turns pure silver when he dances with "Ellis" his girlfriend. They are named after two of my favorite authors Tony Juniper and Richard Ellis.

Old 11/27/2008, 05:03 PM   #8
mollymonticello
Registered Member

They were trying to mate two nights ago, it was hilarious. They turned the most beautiful silver and gold colors. Juniper was showing Ellis his pouch, and they were dancing. But when they swam to the top, Juniper would face Ellis and circle around her while she chased him and tried to put the eggs in his pouch. They did that for about an hour, and then I had to go to bed. I don't know if they ever figured it out or not.

Old 11/27/2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Hook
Registered Member

time for that talk about the birds and the bees...lol

Current Tank Info: getting out of reef...keeping some stuff back for fish only though!
Hook is offline   Reply With Quote