Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/28/2018, 10:50 AM   #26
Turbo5oh
Registered Member

to get super sciencey it would be cool to know the actual dissolved Co2 in the tanks water and than changing the ambient air co2 concentrations to see how it affects it. crap i should have payed more attention in school!

Turbo5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2018, 12:47 PM   #27
BrettDS
Registered Member

Air pump drawing outside air into skimmer silencer for low ph

Thereís a quick and easy test you can do to see if high indoor CO2 levels are affecting pH. Take a cup of your tank water and test the pH level. Then put the cup next to your tank and use an air pump with an airstone to bubble indoor air from next to your tank through the water for 30 minutes. If the pH rises then itís not low indoor CO2, but poor gas exchange and trying to remove tank covers or increase surface agitation in your tank would help here.

If the pH doesnít rise, then take the cup of tank water and the pump and bring them outside. Again, let the pump aerate the water for 30 minutes with outside air and test the pH again. This time if the pH rises then high levels of indoor CO2 are affecting your pH. If it doesnít rise then itís something else entirely.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2018, 12:23 PM   #28
Turbo5oh
Registered Member

thanks BrettDS pretty simple but accurate way to find the source of the issue

Old 03/10/2018, 08:52 AM   #29
gabe145
Registered Member

I run 8.1 pH but would rather have 8.8 because I have seen the colors some corals put out at higher pH. My brother's tank is around 9.5 and his corals really pop.

gabe145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2018, 08:54 AM   #30
Turbo5oh
Registered Member

just wanted to add a small update to this topic,

this week is spring break for the studio and human traffic is at a minimal. so i decided to try something i've been thinking about for a while.

i started by changing the buildings thermostat so the furnace fan is constantly on and recirculating the air.
i found the furnace had a restricted fresh air intake on the return side ducting and got that working as it was supposed too.
then i turned both bathroom exhaust fans on and left the doors open 24/7

the results are a stable rise in PH of .5-.7 although i don't have data logging capabilities currently this i what i physically found on multiple visits.

so it looks as though im onto something. i will update this topic with more findings when i can. i still have the issues of limited time with the tank so results will be slow going.

thanks again everyone.

Old 03/14/2018, 09:45 AM   #31
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Been giving this a bit of thought over the last couple of weeks. As I noted earlier, none of my efforts to supply fresh air directly to my skimmer have resulted in material increases to pH; though I do run a fresh air line to reduce the noise of the dual mazzei injectors. I accept, with a little bit of skepticism , the claims of others that fresh air made a material difference. So why the incongruity?

What does make a difference to pH in my system, is if I run a blower to exchange the air in my basement sump room. This gets me about a 0.3 boost (so 8.1 first thing in the morning rather than 7.8 - accepting that both are really fine). This is only practical in the Spring and Fall, however.

My system has many tanks (some of which are in the sump room), all open top, highly circulated. So the ability of fresh air to the skimmer to 'offset' all that CO2 soaking up across all that surface area is inconsequential. Since I run a recirculating skimmer, any CO2 blow off is further marginalized. So it makes sense me that a fresh air line to said skimmer would make no difference (versus exchanging the room air).

My sense is that for folks that run smaller systems (and don't have a basement sump room), often with oversized flow-through skimmers, a fresh airline would have a better chance of positively affecting pH.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 03/14/2018 at 09:51 AM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2018, 02:04 PM   #32
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe145 View Post
I run 8.1 pH but would rather have 8.8 because I have seen the colors some corals put out at higher pH. My brother's tank is around 9.5 and his corals really pop.
9.5? What?

You mean alkalinity not PH right.. They are not the same..