Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 04/27/2015, 10:05 PM   #301
smoothlarryhughes
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Perkiomenville, PA
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGuy View Post
Pretty much spot on. My tank will be in my living room, so I'm aiming for silence. A herbie drain with a dc return pump and mp40qwd's, that's my plan. You can run a herbie with the two holes, but using a 1/2 for a main drain on anything over 75g is asking for trouble.
I'm getting the 90 gallon cube. If I wanted to run Herbie, would I want to increase the 1/2 hole to 3/4, and use that as the drain and the 1" as the emergency? What size would I make the return (plumb over the top)?


smoothlarryhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2015, 10:38 PM   #302
GGuy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wildomar, CA
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothlarryhughes View Post
I'm getting the 90 gallon cube. If I wanted to run Herbie, would I want to increase the 1/2 hole to 3/4, and use that as the drain and the 1" as the emergency? What size would I make the return (plumb over the top)?
Its a bit sketchy to open an existing hole, especially a 1/2 to 3/4, but it can be done with a steady hand. A 3/4 drain and 1" emergency is fine for a 90. You can either plumb the return over the back of have another hole or two drilled on the back wall for a 3/4 bulkhead, and put the locline in there.


GGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2015, 02:36 PM   #303
devmasa
Registered Member
 
devmasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 403
How are you fitting the ATO and dosing containers in the stand for the cube tanks ?
Seems like there is very limited free space.


devmasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2015, 02:46 PM   #304
BfishLpond78
FUPA
 
BfishLpond78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Seymour CT
Posts: 5,836
My tank is finally up and running!!






__________________
FUPA!!!

Current Tank Info: 150G Starfire, BK DC 200, Vertex V6, PS Kore 5th, Ecotech Waves, Controlled by Apex, Topped off by Tunze
BfishLpond78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2015, 02:54 PM   #305
smoothlarryhughes
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Perkiomenville, PA
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by BfishLpond78 View Post
My tank is finally up and running!!
what size did you get? You're running the stock plumbing?

I just got my 90 gallon on Friday - I'll post some pictures of all the parts. Looks really nice and the wooden stand is a beast. I'm thinking of customizing the LED lights in this thread. Everyone I've seen who have gotten them is satisfied and are getting great coral growth, but you have to specify the color leds you want because the default are too white

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hlight=ledzeal


smoothlarryhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2015, 02:21 PM   #306
Boltline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 56
My FELLOW SCA OWNERS!

Got a great deal on a use 50g cube SCA tank off craigslist. His system was ready to go with livestock too! And have it running for about 4 weeks now. I'm new to hobbie and I've been doing a lot of research to set up my dream reef tank. Got a few questions for my fellow SCA owners.

THEM APEX THO- I saw a few have set up their APEX inside their cabnets. My issue I'm dealing with - I don't want to set it up inside the cabnet due to the lack of real estate. So beening thinking about attaching it to the outside back panel of the cabnet. But should the tank ever over flow I would be in some serious ish! Other options would be mounting the unit on the back wall of my tank. Won't be the prettiest option and I would be leaving holes in my dry wall :-( what do you guys think?

HERBIE IT UP OR NOT- so the guy I bought the tank from set it with the included(durso setup) piping. I'm basicly rebuilding the tank and in a few weeks I'll be swaping out the ugly RL with some cured BRS reefsaver. So this would give me the opportunity to replump my tank. Question is- is it even worth it? I see value in having an emergency overflow pipe and a hard piping is more aesthetically appealing. So to those that went with the herbi set would you say it was worth the time and more importantly the $$$?

RADION XR15W PRO- Been talking to some vendors about the XR15 and they all have said that XR15W would have no issue covering the 24"x24" footprint of the tank. Anyone have any experience with the XR15 with their tank? Thinking of going with a mixed reef LPS/SPS.


Boltline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2015, 12:32 PM   #307
RingingEars
Because they ring
 
RingingEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Rathdrum ID
Posts: 114
Hey all.
Thinking of joining the SC club.
I talked to Steve about a 90 gallon pnp setup today and I was really impressed with their prompt email response.
I need a tank with a canopy(don't want my cat going swimming) so the 90 pnp seems like a great option.
I think I'm going to set the canopy up with 2 of the Hamilton Aruba suns and a mix of ATI bulbs.


RingingEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2015, 01:17 PM   #308
Boltline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingingEars View Post
Hey all.
Thinking of joining the SC club.
I talked to Steve about a 90 gallon pnp setup today and I was really impressed with their prompt email response.
I need a tank with a canopy(don't want my cat going swimming) so the 90 pnp seems like a great option.
I think I'm going to set the canopy up with 2 of the Hamilton Aruba suns and a mix of ATI bulbs.
Can't go wrong with SCA. Even though their tanks are made in china the quality is still good. If you are new to the hobby, like my self, I would really recommend taking the time research saltwater systems and most importantly set a budget. It can quickly get out of hand if you don't plan for unforeseen
events.


Boltline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2015, 02:10 PM   #309
RingingEars
Because they ring
 
RingingEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Rathdrum ID
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltline View Post
Can't go wrong with SCA. Even though their tanks are made in china the quality is still good. If you are new to the hobby, like my self, I would really recommend taking the time research saltwater systems and most importantly set a budget. It can quickly get out of hand if you don't plan for unforeseen
events.
Not new, but I am just getting back into it after a 10yr hiatus so I understand tech has changed.
I was going to go with the new LED setup, but have been hearing mixed reviews on them so I'll stick with the tried and true T5.
My old tank was a 20L with a 10g sump, Euro reef skimmer, and a DIY mogul MH light with some blue LEDs for moon light.


RingingEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2015, 03:11 PM   #310
RingingEars
Because they ring
 
RingingEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Rathdrum ID
Posts: 114
Just got off the phone Steve, super nice guy, and ordered the 90 long.
This is going to be awesome.


RingingEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2015, 03:12 PM   #311
Boltline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 56
Siiick! Welcome to the club!


Boltline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2015, 03:42 PM   #312
smoothlarryhughes
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Perkiomenville, PA
Posts: 135
Did he give you a 20 percent off code?


smoothlarryhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2015, 05:21 PM   #313
RingingEars
Because they ring
 
RingingEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Rathdrum ID
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothlarryhughes View Post
Did he give you a 20 percent off code?
I won't say what he gave me, but can say that he's willing to negotiate and is a super guy.
I can say that in my call to him that we talked about the newer tanks with the dual drain for a herbie setup. That's what he's sending me along with the SAE bulkheads so I can just get the parts from my local hardware store and setup my own plumbing


RingingEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/22/2015, 10:36 PM   #314
RingingEars
Because they ring
 
RingingEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Rathdrum ID
Posts: 114
My 90 arrived today. It's is a beautiful tank. Very well built. Man the starfire glass is just amazing.
The MDF stand however is pretty so-so. I should have opted for the solid wood stand. Oh well maybe I'll build one in the future.
One question for you guys. There is a pad under the sump. Does that stay or is that just for shipping?


RingingEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2015, 12:35 AM   #315
Boltline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingingEars View Post
My 90 arrived today. It's is a beautiful tank. Very well built. Man the starfire glass is just amazing.
The MDF stand however is pretty so-so. I should have opted for the solid wood stand. Oh well maybe I'll build one in the future.
One question for you guys. There is a pad under the sump. Does that stay or is that just for shipping?
Can you take a pic?

You do want to use a pad for the sump since it's all glass. But since I bought mine used I wouldn't know if we have the same pad.


Boltline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2015, 01:04 AM   #316
RingingEars
Because they ring
 
RingingEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Rathdrum ID
Posts: 114
I'll go take one real quick. Give me a sec.


RingingEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2015, 01:13 AM   #317
RingingEars
Because they ring
 
RingingEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Rathdrum ID
Posts: 114




Last edited by Dino; 04/10/2018 at 05:52 AM.
RingingEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2015, 01:56 AM   #318
Boltline
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingingEars View Post
I'll go take one real quick. Give me a sec.
Yup that's the pad. Use it!

Is your DT Tank rim less? If it is you want to use a pad as well.


Boltline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2015, 10:34 AM   #319
smoothlarryhughes
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Perkiomenville, PA
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingingEars View Post
My 90 arrived today. It's is a beautiful tank. Very well built. Man the starfire glass is just amazing.
The MDF stand however is pretty so-so. I should have opted for the solid wood stand. Oh well maybe I'll build one in the future.
One question for you guys. There is a pad under the sump. Does that stay or is that just for shipping?
You're going with the ocean revive t247? How many? I'm still deciding on lighting for the 90 gallon cube i bought from sc aquariums about 3 weeks ago. Mine is 36 x 24 x 24.


smoothlarryhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/23/2015, 08:28 PM   #320
RingingEars
Because they ring
 
RingingEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Rathdrum ID
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothlarryhughes View Post
You're going with the ocean revive t247? How many? I'm still deciding on lighting for the 90 gallon cube i bought from sc aquariums about 3 weeks ago. Mine is 36 x 24 x 24.
I bought 2 of the T247. That was recommended for a 48" tank.


RingingEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2015, 08:35 PM   #321
Underwoo
Registered Member
 
Underwoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 59
Update on 80 gal build

Here are some pic's on the 80 Gallon SC tank.Still working on it.

[IMG][/IMG]


[URL=http://s48.photobucket.com/user/josev1/media/20150524_210848_zpsqv4fohwd.jpg.html]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]


Underwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2015, 09:27 PM   #322
moondoggy4
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: menifee So cal
Posts: 10,969
Looking good, Love the attention to detail.


moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2015, 09:55 PM   #323
RingingEars
Because they ring
 
RingingEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Rathdrum ID
Posts: 114
Wow. Nice tank and nice setting up of the overall system. Very clean...


RingingEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2015, 04:28 PM   #324
stiky
Registered Member
 
stiky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 11
I just wanted to add to this. I have had their 80 gallon for over a year now and it is amazing. However the wood started to split in a couple places on the stand. I emailed support and Steve was very quick to get the ball rolling. They needed a few pictures and replaced the stand no questions asked. They stand behind their products and the warranty is actually a warranty. It's rare to find a company that stands behind their product and doesn't try to do everything in their power to score over the customer. And for that I applaud them. Great guys.


stiky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2015, 08:49 PM   #325
OceanWolf
Registered Member
 
OceanWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Posts: 174
Even though I am the original creator of this thread, I never had to contact SC Aquarium until last week. I had problem with my SCA-302 skimmer pump which does not want to go to full speed until I blow into the air hose. An email to SCA solved my problems. They do have a great customer service. Great product, great service.


OceanWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:45 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.