Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Genesis Reef Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/12/2017, 09:33 AM   #1
Tikosyn
Registered Member

Attempting set up for first time-tubing frustration

Hi Genesis,

So I am finally trying to set up my Genesis Renew/Storm, and I am getting pretty frustrated. I order 50 feet of 1/2'' x 5/8'' tubing which fits over two of the openings on the metering bins, but for some reason one of the other openings is a different size, and the tubing does not fit. To make matters worse, the Eheim pumps which come with the Pro system has ANOTHER different size opening, which this tubing does not fit over.

So the fact that this tubing fits over two of the openings on the metering bins and not the eheim pump makes it effectively useless. Can you tell me what size tubing I need that will fit on all openings on the metering bins as well as the eheim pumps?

It is also slightly upsetting that this information, which is so vital to setting up this system, is absent from every manual that comes with the Genesis system. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Tikosyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2017, 03:46 PM   #2
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Hello Tikosyn,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with the tubing. I'll be happy to help get you up and running as quickly as possible.

You will need two sizes of tubing; 1/2" for the fill and dispense (valve) ports, and 5/8" for the loopback tubing. You should follow section 6 in the RENEW™ manual to make sure you get the right size on the right port, and that the tubing is routed properly.

While the tubing can be a bit tight to get onto the pump and ports, it is often quite helpful to dip the ends or run them in/under hot water. This softens the tubing a bit and makes it quite easy to slide right on. There's really no need for hose clamps either; the pressures we are dealing with are low enough that the tubes won't be "blown off" of the ports.

Please let me know if you have any further questions! I'm confident you're going to love your RENEW™ and STORM™ once you get everything up and running.

Kevin

Old 11/12/2017, 05:15 PM   #3
Tikosyn
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. When sizing are you referring to inner diameter or outer diameter? I'm new at this and the sizing is really throwing me for a loop. So the 1/2 inch (ID) tubing I have is supposed to fit over the eheim pumps? This connection is kicking my butt!

Old 11/13/2017, 03:38 PM   #4
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Hi Tikosyn,

Pretty much any time a pipe or tubing diameter is discussed, it's the inner diameter (ID) that is indicated. However, one example where this is often NOT the case is with RO tubing, where "push-to-connect" fittings are used - in those cases it's usually the outer diameter.

However, for our purposes, it's the inner diameter that we are interested in.

Hope this helps!
Kevin

Old 11/14/2017, 06:53 PM   #5
Tikosyn
Registered Member

Yes it does thank you. However I now have a new problem...I was messing around with my ROCV and plugged in some tubing from my RO filter to see how it fits and cannot for the life of me get it out now. Is there a trick to taking tubing out of the ROCV? It's in there pretty good...thanks and sorry for the barrage of questions.

Old 11/14/2017, 07:00 PM   #6
Tikosyn
Registered Member

Never mind I got it!