Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Genesis Reef Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/19/2018, 09:48 AM   #1
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Renew stops working after a day or 2

hi
i have set my renew to do 3 gal per day water change, it is set on day mode with day light flashing every now and then. when i first set it, it works but 2 days later or so i come back to find it on no lights on on the dial. it should always be on standby while waiting on the next round of change but after day or 2 it has no lights on and it doesnt do any water changes. can you please help.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2018, 01:48 PM   #2
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Hello bnumair,

I can think of two things that might cause this, and hopefully it's one rather than the other.

The first issue is easy to resolve. Could the power to your RENEW™ be dropping out, or briefly interrupted? If so, when the power is restored, the RENEW™ will intentionally suspend water changes. We do this so that it isn't possible to accidentally give your tank a hyposalinity treatment (imagine refilling your mixing bin during a power outage in preparation for a water change once the power comes back on... If the mixing bin is full, but you haven't yet mixed in salt when the power comes back on, the RENEW™ would start replacing full salinity water with a diluted salinity water - so we intentionally don't automatically resume). Keep in mind, the STORM™ will automatically resume as though nothing has happened, because you would want to start topping off automatically.

At any rate, if power is being interrupted to the RENEW™, resolve that issue and then the problem should disappear.

The other issue would require sending the Control Module in to have us diagnose it. It could be a faulty switch or some other issue requiring a repair.

Please let me know what you find and we'll take care of you right away; feel free to email us directly - we did receive your email with the same question, and that usually gets a quicker response.

Have a great day,
Kevin

Old 01/21/2018, 05:52 AM   #3
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

hi Kevin
yes i did email you via regular email. i had not see you around here for a while so i didnt know if you were still monitoring these threads, anyways
ill place the Genesis system on Standby UPS so in case there is a power interruption it shouldnt go to suspend. if that fails i can place it on apex and monitor power interruptions. either way ill solve that issue. if that seems to work good enough, if not then i will send the unit in for second option.
thank you
Mike
(always good to hear from you)

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
Old 01/21/2018, 05:55 AM   #4
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Hi Mike,

Good to hear from you, too!

Thanks for the update. Please let me know what you find. We'll definitely get your system working like it should if you find that power interruptions are not the problem!

Have a great day,
Kevin

Old 03/20/2018, 04:05 PM   #5
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Good evening Kevin
i placed the renew on a UPS power supply so it doesnt have any power hickups. well after that too its losing power and every other day or so i come home to find it sitting idle with no lights on the center. only lights it has is the daily blinking every now and them.
so at this time i am assuming its an internal switch or repairs needed.
can you guide me
thanks
Mike

Old 03/20/2018, 04:17 PM   #6
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Hi Mike,

I'm really sorry to hear that. I can't imagine what might be going on, so I agree - we should get it in and take a look at it. Please send the Control Module to the following address, with your return address and a copy of this thread in the box, and with at least 2" of bubble wrap on all six faces of the Control Module.

Genesis Reef Systems, LLC
13400 S. Route 59
Suite 116 #185
Plainfield, IL 60585-5830

We'll take a look at it right away and get you back up and running as quickly as possible.

Have a great evening,
Kevin