Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 09/26/2018, 01:51 PM   #51
smatter
Registered Member

I always recommend people come here. Most of my friends and family that I have turned onto reefing just call me when they need advice unfortunately. I don't mind most of the time, but damn, go check out Reef Central, or crack a book or something.

Old 09/26/2018, 04:50 PM   #52
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefgeezer View Post
Who steers new members to RC these days?
I do!!!

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon rimless Deep Blue lagoon under construction
Old 09/26/2018, 05:20 PM   #53
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
I do!!!
I would assume we all do. How many people can we possibly tell though. My query was meant to make us ask ourselves how RC is marketed.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
Old 09/26/2018, 05:35 PM   #54
Misled
RC Mod

If 10 people told ten people, that would create 100 members. Think about that. Personally, I've told many more than that. It does really add up. Think of how many that would add if each member told one person. Search engines play a roll also.
We don't "market" Reef Central out there. We are easy enough to find.

Old 09/26/2018, 09:35 PM   #55
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

seems like most of my club uses other sites but still use this one

Old 09/27/2018, 05:56 AM   #56
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
If 10 people told ten people, that would create 100 members. Think about that. Personally, I've told many more than that. It does really add up. Think of how many that would add if each member told one person. Search engines play a roll also.
We don't "market" Reef Central out there. We are easy enough to find.
That type of cocky mentality will only get someone so far. Then they become second best. Then third.......all the while. Touting how good they are and people will return when they see they light. Very slippery slope.

You can have a million members. However. I believe the point of the thread is how to make them more active. This doesnít mean RC needs to grow. It means itís members need to be more active/involved. Itís no different then any company needing itís staff to be involved and active with the companies needs and business. People simply donít take ownership these days. Whatever we do and interact with is only as good as YOU make it. You being yourself. Itís too easy to get gratification elsewhere now.

Old 09/27/2018, 07:37 AM   #57
Misled
RC Mod

I don't see what's cocky about what I said. Reef Central is what it is. The best "information" reef site there is. There's other sites that have giveaways, contests and things like that. That isn't us. I can understand the "more active" part. That's up to the membership. There's a lot of people that aren't good at expressing themselves. That's fine in my opinion. Others are very outspoken. That's ok too. Oh yea, and the part of the staff being involved. If I'm on here any more than I am now, my wife will leave me.

Old 09/27/2018, 02:28 PM   #58
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
If I'm on here any more than I am now, my wife will leave me.

Depending on your wife, thats not necessarily a bad thing.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
Old 09/27/2018, 09:35 PM   #59
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't see what's cocky about what I said. Reef Central is what it is. The best "information" reef site there is. There's other sites that have giveaways, contests and things like that. That isn't us. I can understand the "more active" part. That's up to the membership. There's a lot of people that aren't good at expressing themselves. That's fine in my opinion. Others are very outspoken. That's ok too. Oh yea, and the part of the staff being involved. If I'm on here any more than I am now, my wife will leave me.
Thatís just it. Being or saying it is what it is. Isnít doing anything to keep up to date in an ever changin society. Resting on the laurels of what once was will get any organization, nowhere. People come and people go in this hobby based on disposable income and life responsibilities. That means to me, a newer generation of people and mindsets that have to be catered to. Period. At some point, the sponsors of this site will pull their accounts due to diminishing return on their investment and the amount of traffic itís exposed to. Everything in life is related to business.

As to you being on line more.....that wasnít my message. I apologize for not being more clear to my generalization of references. I was simply referring to a motivational side of business and thatís really what is needed here. Not give away sand shiny cheap trinkets. Yet, a more meaningful approach that addresses the root cause and gets the group motivated to all come together and pull for something that is valuable and an understanding that it all starts with each and everyone of us.

Old 09/28/2018, 06:35 PM   #60
oneofmany
In Memoriam

I think Misled needs a time out... Didn't somebody say that it begins with those in charge? This is the Moderator with power here on RC? C'mon man... This site used to better than that.

Old 09/28/2018, 08:31 PM   #61
Misled
RC Mod

thanks

Old 09/28/2018, 08:45 PM   #62
oneofmany
In Memoriam

Your not welcome... (anymore)

Old 09/28/2018, 08:51 PM   #63
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Well, that attitude is certainly not acceptable. Take some time away and see if you’re able to cool down a bit.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Old 09/28/2018, 08:51 PM   #64
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

We are definitely not perfect here, but we have a strong core of folks that call Reef Central home.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Old 09/28/2018, 09:01 PM   #65
TheCamaroShow
Registered Member

lets get this back on topic

Old 09/28/2018, 09:11 PM   #66
MrHyde
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamaroShow View Post
lets get this back on topic
I agree... Misled has been Misled...

Old 09/28/2018, 09:28 PM   #67
MrHyde
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Well, that attitude is certainly not acceptable. Take some time away and see if youíre able to cool down a bit.
Sorry #2963, I think I was #11??. I've seen a lot of things here at RC. (home?) Even those in charge have "dents." If your so quick to ban somebody or dish out a refraction without a rebutal, at least make sure the math is right. In other words those in power shouldn't have it. Hmm...

Old 09/28/2018, 09:30 PM   #68
Bpb
Registered Member

Iím a member on several forums. I donít feel like the others are picking up the slack in busyness to be honest. I donít have any empirical data though.

An opinion on the matter...

Social media is killing the reef forum. Well maybe not killing it, but sending it into itís golden years. Corals are becoming like trading cards. The Facebook groups Iím a part of, local and national are wildly busy with posters. But itís never reef discussion. Itís just picture show offs of 1/8Ē designer acropora tips, often times maybe just the terminal growth node and a couple polyps beyond that. Or single zoa or mushroom polyp show offs and sales.

The coral market has turned into trading cards basically. Reminds me a lot of the micro brew/craft beer thing going on as well. And I love craft beer. But every time I go look Iím greeted with several dozen new silly name offerings from some new brewer youíve never heard of. Or in this hobby some assortment of new silly name acros from some two or three letter abbreviation of an aquaculturist youíve never heard of. Itís now a popularity contest. Maybe it always was. But itís fever pitch status.

I fully realize the customer ultimately drives the market. But itís just wild to me people are paying $500-1000 for acro frags that contain literally less than half a dozen polyps. ďMother colonyĒ pics of specimens id consider skimpy frags.

In short. People are less interested in discussing the finer points of the hobby, or sharing the progress of a mature tank. Growing and showing colonies, or things like that. People just want to show off and trade the latest and greatest. Kind of making this platform begin to age a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 09/28/2018, 09:31 PM   #69
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
We are definitely not perfect here, but we have a strong core of folks that call Reef Central home.
This is absolutely true!!!

This is why I thought hard about my crappy post about being kicked out all the time from something as simple as checking the remember me box. I did a self check and I'm still posting. I'm willing to change my old behavior in order to enhance my experience here on RC. I realized I was being an "old dog".

Old 09/28/2018, 09:33 PM   #70
MrHyde
Registered Member.

Damn, Luke looks all cracked out.

Not an avatar I'm believing in. JMO.

Old 09/28/2018, 09:54 PM   #71
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
Iím a member on several forums. I donít feel like the others are picking up the slack in busyness to be honest. I donít have any empirical data though.

An opinion on the matter...

Social media is killing the reef forum. Well maybe not killing it, but sending it into itís golden years. Corals are becoming like trading cards. The Facebook groups Iím a part of, local and national are wildly busy with posters. But itís never reef discussion. Itís just picture show offs of 1/8Ē designer acropora tips, often times maybe just the terminal growth node and a couple polyps beyond that. Or single zoa or mushroom polyp show offs and sales.

The coral market has turned into trading cards basically. Reminds me a lot of the micro brew/craft beer thing going on as well. And I love craft beer. But every time I go look Iím greeted with several dozen new silly name offerings from some new brewer youíve never heard of. Or in this hobby some assortment of new silly name acros from some two or three letter abbreviation of an aquaculturist youíve never heard of. Itís now a popularity contest. Maybe it always was. But itís fever pitch status.

I fully realize the customer ultimately drives the market. But itís just wild to me people are paying $500-1000 for acro frags that contain literally less than half a dozen polyps. ďMother colonyĒ pics of specimens id consider skimpy frags.

In short. People are less interested in discussing the finer points of the hobby, or sharing the progress of a mature tank. Growing and showing colonies, or things like that. People just want to show off and trade the latest and greatest. Kind of making this platform begin to age a bit

Interesting.....You touch on many things.

Would you say the community has gotten younger? Immature? Careless? Or, have things just become more adapt to the things already in peoples lives? Social media being in the palm of (almost) everyone's hands......If it is as simple as accessibility. How do forums become more accessible?

I for one, don't have social media. Not my gig man. People are lucky to reach me on my cell phone. HaHa. Especially over the weekend. I start early, I'm at work at 3:40-3:45 so I can start at 4am. Friday's my boss typically lets me peel out after an 8 hour shift. So i'm out by 12:30. There's a beer in my hand by 1:15. You want to talk micro's, lets PM. I home brew and love good beer.

As to people making a quick buck and bragging about these tiny frags. Maybe there might be something to learn from them? What is the success rate of these tiny frags? Not that I want to pay high price for small frags. (I wont!!) or some crazy made up name for said frag. However, if they are successful at growing these tiny pieces out. Then they can't be to far out of touch as to what the corals need. Right? It just becomes a matter of greed.

Old 09/28/2018, 10:08 PM   #72
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
Interesting.....You touch on many things.

Would you say the community has gotten younger? Immature? Careless? Or, have things just become more adapt to the things already in peoples lives? Social media being in the palm of (almost) everyone's hands......If it is as simple as accessibility. How do forums become more accessible?

I for one, don't have social media. Not my gig man. People are lucky to reach me on my cell phone. HaHa. Especially over the weekend. I start early, I'm at work at 3:40-3:45 so I can start at 4am. Friday's my boss typically lets me peel out after an 8 hour shift. So i'm out by 12:30. There's a beer in my hand by 1:15. You want to talk micro's, lets PM. I home brew and love good beer.

As to people making a quick buck and bragging about these tiny frags. Maybe there might be something to learn from them? What is the success rate of these tiny frags? Not that I want to pay high price for small frags. (I wont!!) or some crazy made up name for said frag. However, if they are successful at growing these tiny pieces out. Then they can't be to far out of touch as to what the corals need. Right? It just becomes a matter of greed.

Wish I had a clever reply. But I donít. Yes to the first paragraph. The crowd is younger, more into social media, and the hobby may be a more fleeting interest (reaching on that last one, I canít presume just speculate).

And yes. Something is to be said for the success rate of these booger sized frags. I think someone would be hard pressed to invest so much of they werenít confident. 6 years in the hobby now for me and Iím only now able to have near 100% success rate on frags of less than 10 polyps. It takes tremendous skill to pull off (in my mind anyway). I donít know how to get them more active on a forum level for biology, chemistry, and infrastructure discussion, sadly

Old 09/28/2018, 10:23 PM   #73
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
Wish I had a clever reply. But I donít. Yes to the first paragraph. The crowd is younger, more into social media, and the hobby may be a more fleeting interest (reaching on that last one, I canít presume just speculate).

And yes. Something is to be said for the success rate of these booger sized frags. I think someone would be hard pressed to invest so much of they werenít confident. 6 years in the hobby now for me and Iím only now able to have near 100% success rate on frags of less than 10 polyps. It takes tremendous skill to pull off (in my mind anyway). I donít know how to get them more active on a forum level for biology, chemistry, and infrastructure discussion, sadly

My fear is that the crowd isn't any younger. Simply more attached to instant gratification.

Take care brother.

Old 09/28/2018, 10:26 PM   #74
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
My fear is that the crowd isn't any younger. Simply more attached to instant gratification.

Take care brother.

Likewise! Youíre probably right about that.

Old 09/30/2018, 08:23 AM   #75
andrewkw
Registered Member

You can say forums are dying, social media is taking over ect ect but other forums are continuing to grow while this one slowly declines. Let me just be clear I have nothing against reef central or anyone who posts here. I feel like I have to say that so someone doesn't take this the wrong way. I've been using RC for 12 years but while I used to check things out here dozens of times a day I usually only login once a day or every other day these days.

The biggest advantages Reef Central has(had) is it was the biggest forum. If I'm looking for help I want the best chance of finding it. If I'm looking to share something I also want the biggest audience. For years I never signed up at clay-boa and I always thought why would I post there too when I can just come here. I'm not sure how many years ago that was but there has been little to no modernization here.

You don't want to have contests fine, but they certainly draw people in. The tank of the month feature here was second to none. I used to look forward to reading this so much and it's now been nearly 3 years since one has been posted. Yes there was trouble getting volunteers, but you know what you could do? Pay them - Money talks and maybe the forum is staffed by volunteers but someone is still making money from the website perhaps some of that profit should go to bettering it. clay-boa has a lot of things going for it, but even there the tank of the month spotlight is not very high profile. There are countless thousands of members and many people have beautiful tanks. It may be difficult but not impossible to find people who want their tanks featured.

I hate websites changing as much as the next person but perhaps its time for a facelift. It does feel a little dated here but something as simple as image hosting would be a big improvement. If I can just upload my pictures I'd be more inclined to post them vs finding somewhere to host them and then post the links.

Bring back the reef keeping "magazine", again update maybe make some of it videos but also make use of the vast archives available here sure you can still go back and search but going through years of stuff is a lot more tedious then seeing it fresh even if it is just "re-posted from..." Not really sure the best way to do this, but one of the best things RC has going for it is its super long history and the tons of useful information here.

End the feuds. I'm not sure if it still is but ************ was a banned word here. We'll find out when I post. I believe there was a couple other major places that were not to be discussed here. By cutting off groups of people you are limiting traffic.

I'm sure there are other better ideas, but this is what I've got off the top of my head. Something has to be done eventually. While this place will certainly exist for a long time what state it will be in remains to be seen. You can do better Reef Central!

Closed Thread