Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 05/15/2018, 05:13 PM   #1
iidylii
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2
Wrasse experts

So Im sure I know the answer is a big fat no but Im just curious...I have a female velvet wrasse and a female exquisite wrasse...the velvet is about 2 or so and the exquisite is 2.5-3...being different types of wrasse is it possible for one of them to change into a male?


iidylii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2018, 05:23 PM   #2
mike61289
Registered Member
 
mike61289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidylii View Post
So Im sure I know the answer is a big fat no but Im just curious...I have a female velvet wrasse and a female exquisite wrasse...the velvet is about 2 or so and the exquisite is 2.5-3...being different types of wrasse is it possible for one of them to change into a male?
Both will likely become males unless one of those females is dominating over the other.


__________________
Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming swimming swimming. What do we do? We swim swim!
mike61289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2018, 06:49 PM   #3
iidylii
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2
Thanks mike...one more curiosity...I had a trio of lyretail anthias and the male was transforming but then the other 2 females died and it’s been months since the males transformation has progressed...I’m thinking the anthias species changes back to females? Hope someone can help...the wrasse and anthias are very interesting I think


iidylii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2018, 08:59 PM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 17,253
Anthias wil not revert back to female, but the transition can get 'stuck'.


__________________
Simon

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2018, 02:50 PM   #5
Tripod1404
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,728
I think neither of those wrasses will become males unless one fish is showing clear dominance behavior towards the other.

Non of my single specie female wrasses evet transitioned to males.


Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2018, 05:03 AM   #6
OrionN
Anemones
 
OrionN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Coastal Texas
Posts: 15,344
I am far from a wrasse expert, but from all my reading of recent information, Flasher and Fairy wrasses will progress to terminal males in aquarium. Wrasse keepers recommended ONE wrasse per species. There are quite a few reefers have pair/harem of Fairy wrasses in their aquarium but these will not last. Once the female change, the live of the older male is in jeopardy.
I recently learn and see that there are three Flame wrasse in a LFS in San Antonio in a 8X4 display sale aquarium. I was told that the tree of them went in as all females about 1 year ago. Now all three are males with one terminal male and two sub males. Flame Fairy apparently are more docile according to my reading, and the tank is large enough such that they don't kill each other, but no female remain of the three.


__________________
Minh

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2018, 08:38 PM   #7
Cancun
Registered Member
 
Cancun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Saint Louis Missouri
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I am far from a wrasse expert, but from all my reading of recent information, Flasher and Fairy wrasses will progress to terminal males in aquarium. Wrasse keepers recommended ONE wrasse per species. There are quite a few reefers have pair/harem of Fairy wrasses in their aquarium but these will not last. Once the female change, the live of the older male is in jeopardy.
I recently learn and see that there are three Flame wrasse in a LFS in San Antonio in a 8X4 display sale aquarium. I was told that the tree of them went in as all females about 1 year ago. Now all three are males with one terminal male and two sub males. Flame Fairy apparently are more docile according to my reading, and the tank is large enough such that they don't kill each other, but no female remain of the three.
Hi....I totally agree here....I have seen similar things with same species of Wrasses at my LFS also....from my own experience....I have 4 Leopard Wrasses...Ornate.... Melegris... Moyer's...
And blue star....no males....I also have a male Solorensis...Red Coris transitioning to adult colors...and a yellow Coris...I chose to not risk a harum...so I have one of each type....from what I too understand that even a single female wrasse can transition to a male....with or without a same species. Or they may just always stay female....in my opinion to answer the OP's original question....I think the reason for one of your Wrasses changing to male probably did not have anything to do with the other Wrasse species...just my 2 cents....

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk


__________________
Innovative Marine SR80 80 gallon aquarium....I love wrasses....have leopards....several Coris....and Fairy wrasses....large ORA Deresa Clam....large blue Haddoni carpet....4 Rose BT...split 3 times...

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 80 gallon SR series
Cancun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2018, 08:45 PM   #8
OrionN
Anemones
 
OrionN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Coastal Texas
Posts: 15,344
What I wrote above pertain to Fairy and Flasher wrasses. I have keep harem of other species of wrasses. IMO, harem of Leopard wrasse is certainly possible. Other genus of wrasses may form harem in captivity, but apparently not fairy and flasher wrasse


__________________
Minh

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2018, 08:57 PM   #9
Cancun
Registered Member
 
Cancun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Saint Louis Missouri
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
What I wrote above pertain to Fairy and Flasher wrasses. I have keep harem of other species of wrasses. IMO, harem of Leopard wrasse is certainly possible. Other genus of wrasses may form harem in captivity, but apparently not fairy and flasher wrasse
Interesting about fairy and flasher Wrasses......yea I have heard of people keeping harums of Leopards successfully....I just haven't tried it with leopards yet...you might be right about other species of Wrasses forming harums too...that would be interesting to research....but I never wanted to take that risk.....yet anyway.....LOL.....

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk


__________________
Innovative Marine SR80 80 gallon aquarium....I love wrasses....have leopards....several Coris....and Fairy wrasses....large ORA Deresa Clam....large blue Haddoni carpet....4 Rose BT...split 3 times...

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 80 gallon SR series
Cancun is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.