Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/31/2018, 07:47 AM   #151
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
I love the side view of my tank, I'm glad that I had the foresight to create the rock work in a way to allow a clear view of the tank from the side. That 8' depth really makes for a great view!!!
Yeah, I wish I had the 8' depth as well. That would be my idea tank actually. 8x3' footprint and about 30" tall. I think that's somewhere just above 400 gal. But that's not happening for a long while. I can't fit a tank that big down my stairs so I'd have to build a plywood tank in place. That would likely take some big modifications. Heck, even now I should have a humidity fan/vent. Instead, I rely on a mobile dehumidified though that may work better anyway, especially in the summer. Besides that, I'd need to get approval from my wife and that would be the hardest task of all. :0)

Forgot to mention that on day 10 of TTM I lost the gramma. Not sure how it happened or why. One moment it looked fine and then about two hours later it was dead and the trigger had eaten its tail. I'm sure the trigger didn't kill it but took advantage of an easy meal. No signs of illness or distress. It was strange. Bummer too as I thought it was doing quite well, eating well, didn't seem stressed. To my knowledge the trigger left it alone. Would still like to get one but will have to wait a while now until the trigger is out of QT. Perhaps I can take the opportunity to also get a blenny or two.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2018, 05:43 PM   #152
locito277
Registered Member

Tanks looking great! Love the angel fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2018, 08:42 AM   #153
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locito277 View Post
Tanks looking great! Love the angel fish!

Thanks! And welcome back.

After 3 months, I finally removed the acclimation box... but I had to make another one of sorts. Still just too nervous to let the blueface into the display. Hoping he'll eat well and then I can let him loose next week.

lg_acclimation.jpg

This pic doesn't show the colors very well but he's transitioning nicely to adult pattern. Lots of yellow coming through.

blueface_5aug2018.jpg

Old 08/06/2018, 08:43 PM   #154
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Pretty clever... I just lost a lot of fish in QT and i'm really frustrated.. I can understand that a crown jewel like that needs extra precaution.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2018, 08:10 AM   #155
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Pretty clever... I just lost a lot of fish in QT and i'm really frustrated.. I can understand that a crown jewel like that needs extra precaution.
Argh, that must be frustrating. You certainly understand my fear of putting him into the display with no barriers. I've been babying this fish for about 5+ months. I thought the new enclosure would do two things, 1) allow the blueface to be more out in the open and get used to being in a large space, 2) allow the other fish to see him even better and determine what aggression might be forthcoming. Well, it looks like the annularis still wants to play tag. I'll see what happens over the week and determine what to do from there. Still hoping to release the blueface this coming weekend. At that point, I may have to consider catching the annularis for a time. That would be another challenge altogether.

Old 08/07/2018, 10:58 AM   #156
locito277
Registered Member

Good to be back :-) my buddy got a blue face and he looks amazing. I really want one. Enjoy watching his colors change

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2018, 06:26 AM   #157
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locito277 View Post
Good to be back :-) my buddy got a blue face and he looks amazing. I really want one. Enjoy watching his colors change

I fully agree, it has been fun to watch this fish. I think it's my 3rd one and the second that will transition from juvenile to adult.

Last night I got a bit of confidence when the annularis was trying to intimidate the blueface. The blueface stood his ground (so to speak) and was actually attempting to tail swat the annularis! I'm hoping he'll be a little scrapper once I let him loose. Definitely happy with my decision to create this larger acclimation "pen" to bring out some of this behavior!

Old 09/06/2018, 06:42 AM   #158
McPuff
Registered Member

Brief update:

I did some basic cleaning on the reef... maybe it's a semi annual to quartery-type cleaning.

-The Tunze 6105s were filthy and now they are terrific again.

-Siphoned detritus out of the sump (this is about monthly). Only ended up as a 20 gal water change but I pulled the nastiest water which makes a huge difference obviously. I'll likely do another water change in a week and vacuum some of the sand in the DT.

-Rinsed out the 2 marine pure blocks - long overdue! They were pretty dirty.

-Rinsed out the basket of rubble rock - also very dirty!!! Long overdue

-Replaced GFO

-Harvested just over 2 gallons of chaeto from my reactor! This thing really works well and it's amazing how dense this stuff grows. I have much more success with the reactor than I ever did in a refugium setting. I highly recommend a chaeto reactor to anyone considering it. And all I use is a large media reactor wrapped with LEDs ($23). So if you have an extra reactor give it a try!!

All in all, it was a productive hour spent cleaning. Always amazing how much better the system functions with just a little time spent targeting specific areas. In the end, I find these types of activities are so effective toward keeping a clean and healthy system.

Old 09/10/2018, 11:14 AM   #159
McPuff
Registered Member

Well, I'm not sure yet if this is completely crazy but I went ahead and did it anyway. I bought 3 more AI Sol blue fixtures. Yesterday I added those to my DT and removed a single Onyx fixture. The result is 9 fixtures in 3 rows of 3. Thankfully, they fit quite nicely and only required minimal "refurbishment" of my original lighting strategy. Good news is that each light is now fixed in place to the canopy frame itself and they are a bit higher off the water. This should allow me to reach a bit more to the back of the tank but also means no more hanging frame.

I set the AI Sols to "coral acclimation" mode for the next 7 days as a precaution. There should really be NO shadowing after this (I noticed it was becoming a small problem on my large green slimer colony). Anyway, this shows how they are hung. Despite the number of power supplies and cords required, it actually is pretty clean and should work out well.

lighting_upgrade.jpg

Next step is to FINALLY create a set of doors for the canopy. Like I keep saying, it's a winter project. :0)

Also bought a few extra fish that I've wanted to add for a while now. Royal gramma, tail spot blenny, and arc eye hawkfish. They are in TTM for another 10 days and will then spend another 30 in QT. Those will be good additions.

Old 09/10/2018, 12:04 PM   #160
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Like I keep saying, it's a winter project. :0)
Funny how perspective changes meaning. You're winter projects are my summer projects.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2018, 06:12 AM   #161
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Funny how perspective changes meaning. You're winter projects are my summer projects.
Very true. Here in SE Michigan winter isn't very pleasant. :0)

Old 09/11/2018, 06:38 AM   #162
McPuff
Registered Member

It's been just over a month since the last angel update... I like to see these progressions so I hope you do too.

The annularis is now the second largest fish in the tank, only behind the lieutenant tang. I've had him for 10 months and he's grown from 1.5" to about 7" long (close to 1" wide) in that time. Pattern is nearly 100% adult now. Pic is not great but this guy doesn't stop moving! :0)

annularis_29Aug2018.jpg

The blueface has been in the DT for over a month and is definitely gaining confidence. He's been relegated to this corner by the annularis but he doesn't get his butt kicked anymore. Starting to venture a little further away from the safety spot, especially at meal time. Juvenile stripes are still quite evident but the background is changing to adult. Face and fin color (yellow) is really starting to come in. Past experience tells me that it will take about a year to change completely.

blueface_29Aug2018.jpg

The size difference between the angels is not optimal. This isn't what I had planned but they were available at separate times and the annularis grew WAY faster than I thought it would. So far it's working ok but I'm always watching the big guy.

angel_comparison.jpg

Wondering out loud if buying a coral beauty (want one anyway) would help to ease some aggression on the blueface...

Old 09/17/2018, 11:48 PM   #163
icerain29
Registered Member

Really nice plan!

icerain29 is offline   Reply With Quote