Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/26/2018, 09:08 PM   #1
_salty_
Registered Member

Question Saltwater storage

So, no RODI unit here. I’m buying saltwater from a local store. I have a 35 gallon water tank and a pretty decent setup to move it from the back of my truck to the basement brute cans via a hose.

How long can it sit in this brute can? Do I need to keep it heated or circulating to keep it “fresh”? I guess it would get stagnant like sitting freshwater...does it go bad??

_salty_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2018, 09:18 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

New saltwater can stay in sealed containers indefinately.. No heater..no circulation required
Brute cans with tight lid is just fine for a while...
Something a bit more sealed is better..
5g carboys or similar larger

Old 10/29/2018, 09:57 AM   #3
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

I store mine in a 65g storage container and run a pump for 5 minutes every hour. I haven't had any issues.

Spyderturbo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Neptune 555
Registered Member

The best thing I ever did was purchase my RODI unit and make my own salt water. I used to buy from the LFS store also - the consequence we really I didn't do enough regular water changes. I finally purchased an RODI system and make my own water... game changer. You will get tired of lugging water around...

I will provide detail here b/c I didn't do it for years b/c I didn't know how...
* order RODI system from BRS or your LFS
* Go to home depot / lowes with RODI unit and faucet washer along with photo of bathroom faucet.
* Purchase a 3 dollar piece that connects faucet to RODI unit. (Mine didn't work with the hardware provided)
* Purchase a 40 gallon garbage bin along with clear tubing and a pump.
* Now I just pump old water out my window into an area of no grass/trees. the salt water kills everything
* Pump new salt water into tank.
Quick weekly water changes are now conducted.

Neptune 555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Daddyrawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune 555 View Post
The best thing I ever did was purchase my RODI unit and make my own salt water. I used to buy from the LFS store also - the consequence we really I didn't do enough regular water changes. I finally purchased an RODI system and make my own water... game changer. You will get tired of lugging water around...

I will provide detail here b/c I didn't do it for years b/c I didn't know how...
* order RODI system from BRS or your LFS
* Go to home depot / lowes with RODI unit and faucet washer along with photo of bathroom faucet.
* Purchase a 3 dollar piece that connects faucet to RODI unit. (Mine didn't work with the hardware provided)
* Purchase a 40 gallon garbage bin along with clear tubing and a pump.
* Now I just pump old water out my window into an area of no grass/trees. the salt water kills everything
* Pump new salt water into tank.
Quick weekly water changes are now conducted.
ditto

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daddyrawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2018, 12:17 PM   #6
_salty_
Registered Member

My city uses chloramines in the water, my tank is in an unfinished basement and there are no water lines to hook into, plus there is no plumbing to hook up the waste water line to.

I was under the impression that chloramines require special (expensive) filters that need to be changed often? Buying premix seems like a cheaper way for me.

Old 10/29/2018, 02:58 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _salty_ View Post
My city uses chloramines in the water, my tank is in an unfinished basement and there are no water lines to hook into, plus there is no plumbing to hook up the waste water line to.

I was under the impression that chloramines require special (expensive) filters that need to be changed often? Buying premix seems like a cheaper way for me.
Special.. sort of...
Expensive.. Most certainly not..

Chloramines are "tougher" on carbon blocks and certain types are much better than others but the cost difference is rather minor for the most part and many "standard" carbon blocks now can handle Chloramines just fine..

Old 10/29/2018, 04:24 PM   #8
_salty_
Registered Member

I might be able to rig an RODI under a bathroom sink on the first floor...could have waste line ran to sink drain...DI water can be ran through the floor to the basement where it could go directly into a brute...hmmm....

So far we have moved only 70 gallons of saltwater to the basement. We will see how long it takes hubby to get tired of helping me with water moving. If he complains then I can present this wonderful idea of making our own water!!

Old 10/30/2018, 02:37 PM   #9
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Quote:
I might be able to rig an RODI under a bathroom sink on the first floor...could have waste line ran to sink drain...DI water can be ran through the floor to the basement where it could go directly into a brute...hmmm....

So far we have moved only 70 gallons of saltwater to the basement. We will see how long it takes hubby to get tired of helping me with water moving. If he complains then I can present this wonderful idea of making our own water!!
it won't be long, I had to drive an hour to the not so local LFS to get water so my RODI system has paid for itself in gas alone.

I to have a basement setup, tanks on the first floor and mixing happens in the basement along with water changes.

There's no water supply in the basement except the water heater but i'm not that handy. one day I was walking around down there looking at the pipes and I followed the one pipe that goes to the the kitchen sink. I noticed where the pipe ran up there was about a half inch of extra space so I jammed two 1/4" RODI lines up there and hooked one the the cold water line with an adapter I got at BRS and the waste line goes down the drain through a saddle Clamp. it was so easy.

sink connector:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-l...p-adapter.html

Drain Clamp:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/drain...h-connect.html

Edit:

I also have Chloramines and the filters are about the same price just different.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2018, 06:29 PM   #10
_salty_
Registered Member

Thanks Rye, I might be able to do sorta the same with the bathroom sink, zero room under the kitchen sink. Just have to present it at the right time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10/31/2018, 08:19 AM   #11
tjm9331
Registered Member

Do you have a washing machine? you could always use a T and tie into the washing machine water supply and then run the waste water to the washing machine drain.

For the longest time I had my RODI under my kitchen sink, running only 1 DI resin. The unit ended up leaking while I was away so I decided to move it to our mud room and tie into our washing machine supply water AND I added 2 more DI resins. So now I run cation, anion and mixed bed resins, only reason I do this is because I have a well and I was going through mixed bed resin constantly. I'm talking every 40 gallons I'd have to change the resin, now I'm up to 60 gallons and only the anion resin is exhausting and only slightly. SO much more efficient.

Anyways I'm digressing, see if you can hook up to your washing machine water, even if you have to move water via 5 gallon buckets in the long run it will be cheaper and better than purchasing water from your LFS.

Last edited by tjm9331; 10/31/2018 at 09:00 AM.
tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2018, 09:42 PM   #12
_salty_
Registered Member

Thanks tjm, washer is next to the bathroom I was thinking about. Will have to think on this one. I’ve never done any plumbing except getting my wedding ring out of a sink drain. Not sure I should do something like this. Don’t want something leaking, especially a line tied to the washer.

Old 11/01/2018, 03:45 AM   #13
homer1475
Registered Member

No plumbing involved really. If you are able to unscrew the washer machine line from the hose bib, then your all set.

Something like this, and access to the waste line. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! And you don't have to be a plumber to get it done.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Yardsmith-B...CABEgI0sfD_BwE

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2018, 06:37 AM   #14
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Rye, I might be able to do sorta the same with the bathroom sink, zero room under the kitchen sink. Just have to present it at the right time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't need room under the sink, the rodi unit lives in the basement. Just the water lines run through the floor and along the ceiling

Old 11/01/2018, 07:31 AM   #15
tjm9331
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
No plumbing involved really. If you are able to unscrew the washer machine line from the hose bib, then your all set.

Something like this, and access to the waste line. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! And you don't have to be a plumber to get it done.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Yardsmith-B...CABEgI0sfD_BwE
Exactly, this is what I did, a quick unscrew of the washing machine cold line. Add the brass T then reconnect the washer to one end and this https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-l...k-adapter.html to the other. Then it's just simply running your line for to the RODI.

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2018, 10:08 AM   #16
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

As stated by Neptune, I also went many years without an RODI unit. Had a BRS unit for over 2 years now and should have done it a long time ago.
I recently installed this:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/john-...top-valve.html
My filter gets stored in a closet and only comes out when I make water. I got tired of installing and uninstalling the faucet adapter, now I just plug in underneath the sink.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2018, 04:15 PM   #17
_salty_
Registered Member

Thanks everyone, you all are so helpful!! Does anyone have pictures of how their unit is set up?

Old 11/01/2018, 07:16 PM   #18
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Here's my setup. Drain line with saddle clamp water line adapter then down in the basement hose comes through the floor (I'm going to have to look at that copper pipe hmm mounted to the wall

Old 11/01/2018, 08:25 PM   #19
Joe0813
Registered Member

one thing to consider..... if you have a septic tank, do not plumb the waste line into the drain. the amount of waste water produced can eventually overflow the tank. I just run my waste right out the window and into the woods.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2018, 12:09 PM   #20
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
one thing to consider..... if you have a septic tank, do not plumb the waste line into the drain. the amount of waste water produced can eventually overflow the tank. I just run my waste right out the window and into the woods.
I don't have septic but what do you do in the winter?

Old 11/02/2018, 04:55 PM   #21
Joe0813
Registered Member

send it right into the woods still

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2018, 05:17 PM   #22
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

The line doesn't freeze?

Old 11/02/2018, 05:49 PM   #23
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post

I have never had a problem with the waste line into my septic.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2018, 08:29 PM   #24
_salty_
Registered Member

I’m on a septic tank as well. It makes 4 gallons of waste water for each gallon of di water? So on a 100 gpd unit I would be wasting 400 gallons of water?

Old 11/02/2018, 08:30 PM   #25
_salty_
Registered Member

Thanks for the pics rye, very helpful. Anyone else has pics?