Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/26/2015, 12:12 PM   #26
MrSandman
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
So this is skimmer number two. It is an Austrian-made (not US version) ATB 840 Econo Small with Eheim 1260 pump - well to the best of my research that's the model anyway. Compared to the skimmer inside the Royal Exclusiv bag, this ATB doesn't look very impressive - though I can see the design is smart. The very large bubble plate and smooth skimmer body all the way up to the top of the skimmer appears as though is should provide as non-turbulent flow as possible, so this is promising. This is the first ATB skimmer I've ever seen in person and I'm interested to see how it performs as some people claim it rivals the Royal Exclusiv skimmers.
I have a US made ATB 840 and its been a great skimmer for me. One thing i am curious about is the pump on it. Mine comes with a Sicce. Do the Austrian ones come with Eheims? Has it been modified?

Current Tank Info: 112G 36"x36"x20" Lee-mar rimless. Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293182.
MrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2015, 08:29 PM   #27
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
I have a US made ATB 840 and its been a great skimmer for me. One thing i am curious about is the pump on it. Mine comes with a Sicce. Do the Austrian ones come with Eheims? Has it been modified?
Yes, mine has an Eheim 1260 on it. It just has a simple venturi (see the pic below). I believe the ones with the Eheims are older versions, and the Sicce is the newer version, but in all honesty, there are SO many versions of this skimmer that I'm not completely clear on this.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2015, 08:35 PM   #28
Myka
Reefing since '93

I made a few modifications and decisions to the final design of the tank. The order is in now, so no going back!

- 3 side low-iron PPG Starphire glass
- trimless
- the 3 bulkheads are grouped in the center of the overflow now rather than the two ends, and decided to have the return drilled for 3/4".

So far, I'm still happy with my sump V3.1 design, but haven't had the time to figure out measurements for the glass. It looks like life has settled down a bit now (I hope!) so I plan to get this ordered up this week and work on the sump this weekend.

I am building new kitchen cabinets for the house this year. The lower kitchen cabinets will be low-gloss slate grey (uppers are gloss white), and I'm building the tank cabinet to match, and will add a drink ledge for beer made of rough sawn walnut to match the flooring. Now I think of it, the stand color will match the SCH80 plumbing pretty close! Haha!

The ATB comes apart very well for cleaning!

Here's the GHL Stand Alone Doser for the 69...

Here are a few critters that will be making the transfer to the new tank.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Old 05/04/2015, 08:51 PM   #29
Oldude
Premium Member

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one Mindy. I'll be tagging along.

~ April 2010 TOTM ~
Oldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2015, 09:07 PM   #30
CHSUB
"Certified Hobby Expert"

who is in picture with you, that makes you look "important"?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110638
CHSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2015, 04:07 AM   #31
Scotty freddy
Registered Member

Looking great so far Myka you were right there are some similarities

Scotty freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2015, 08:49 AM   #32
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldude View Post
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one Mindy. I'll be tagging along.
Hey Greg! I don't know why you call yourself old. I can't wait for the weekend to get to work on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSUB View Post
who is in picture with you, that makes you look "important"?
Of course I look important, it's the "important person handshake pose". In the photo with me is Jean-Michel Cousteau. He was the speaker at the banquet at the MACNA in Dallas in 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty freddy View Post
Looking great so far Myka you were right there are some similarities
Thanks Scotty. Yes, similar size, similar lighting, same skimmer (don't tell anyone "what's in the bag" from my previous post haha ). The ATB is really just an experiment - I got it at a great price, and I've never seen one in person, so I figured it was a good opportunity.

Old 05/05/2015, 11:20 AM   #33
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Myka! Being a fellow maintenance guy... Uh... Person, I'll be following along to watch you go.
Love the set up so far.
I'm especially interested to see how the beer ledge turns out.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 4x AI prime 6xt5 3x150w mh. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2015, 02:00 PM   #34
Scythanith
Premium Member

Good to see this blossom on RC

Old 05/05/2015, 08:06 PM   #35
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Hey Myka! Being a fellow maintenance guy... Uh... Person, I'll be following along to watch you go.
Love the set up so far.
I'm especially interested to see how the beer ledge turns out.
You're part of the "dry skin up to the shoulder" club! Haha! Do you have some tank journals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Good to see this blossom on RC

Old 05/05/2015, 09:39 PM   #36
reefmutt
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Myka;23722780]You're part of the "dry skin up to the shoulder" club! Haha! Do you have some tank journals?

Ha! I became a lizard yeeeeaaaars ago.

Here's a link to my thread.. You may need a cup of coffee (or two) to get through it all. But it's about to get more interesting: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2459858

You've shown us the atb.. When do we get to see the bubble
King?
By the way, I absolutely love that deep water acro you posted below the royal exclusive bag..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 4x AI prime 6xt5 3x150w mh. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Old 05/06/2015, 02:27 AM   #37
Scotty freddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post

Thanks Scotty. Yes, similar size, similar lighting, same skimmer (don't tell anyone "what's in the bag" from my previous post haha ). The ATB is really just an experiment - I got it at a great price, and I've never seen one in person, so I figured it was a good opportunity.
Don't worry I can keep a secret good choice though they are awesome skimmers and worth the extra $$$

Scotty freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2015, 09:46 PM   #38
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Here's a link to my thread.. You may need a cup of coffee (or two) to get through it all. But it's about to get more interesting

You've shown us the atb.. When do we get to see the bubble
King?
By the way, I absolutely love that deep water acro you posted below the royal exclusive bag..
Awesome, I'll check out your thread when I get a few mins - about to get more interesting? Oh the suspense!

When I go get the skimmer I'll take a pic of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty freddy View Post
Don't worry I can keep a secret good choice though they are awesome skimmers and worth the extra $$$
Going by price alone, it better outperform the ATB by a good shot! That's not really fair because the ATB is a few years old. Hehe.

Old 05/06/2015, 09:48 PM   #39
Myka
Reefing since '93

There has been a minor modification to the tank...it's now going to have a one-piece polished Starphire eurobrace. Can girls be "ballin'"??

Old 05/07/2015, 02:35 AM   #40
Buddhatank
Registered Member

That sounds fancy can't wait to see

Buddhatank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2015, 05:05 PM   #41
Myka
Reefing since '93

Soooo...what's in that Royal Exclusiv bag anyway??

BK Double Cone 180 with RD3 Speedy.

Old 05/07/2015, 05:19 PM   #42
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice!!! So shiny and new..
Makes me want one.
I gotta say I love the performance of my RLSS DB10i but it's a bit of a pain to work on..

Old 05/07/2015, 05:27 PM   #43
Myka
Reefing since '93

Oh, I forgot to mention, I bought an ATI SunPower dimmable 6x39W T5 fixture too. No pics because I don't have it yet. I plan to add a couple of ReefBrite blue LED strips to either side of it and will experiment with the ATI line of T5 bulbs. I don't like how pink the Coral+ bulbs are, but maybe with the strength of the ReefBrites it will look good. It will be a tight fit. The ATI is almost 14" wide, and the ReefBrites are almost 2" wide each. I asked for the eurobracing to be made on the narrow side to help with this - I think the rotation ability of the ReefBrite strips will also help.

Quote:
Nice!!! So shiny and new..
Makes me want one.
I gotta say I love the performance of my RLSS DB10i but it's a bit of a pain to work on..
You can't beat that ATB 840 for maintenance - I can't believe how many pieces it comes apart into! There's a little part of me that wants the ATB to outperform the BK.

Old 05/07/2015, 05:36 PM   #44
reefmutt
Registered Member

I think you need a side by side shot.. (No pressure)
They look very similar.
I'm curious about dimensions.. It seems that the main difference is the pump..
That dc pump will be more efficient than the Eheim.. If I recall, the 1260 is 600gph.. I assume the BK pump has a higher flow rate.. It's bound to pull more air..

Old 05/08/2015, 12:08 PM   #45
Myka
Reefing since '93

Here ya go Matt (and anyone else interested)...

ATB 840 Small (out of production)
Footprint with pump: 14 x 8"
Height: 21"
Body base diameter: 8″
Neck diameter: 3.75"
Pump: Eheim 1260
Water flow: 645 gph (without air), 264 gph (with air)
Max air draw: Up to 900 L/hr
Power consumption: 65 watts
Manufacturer tank rating: Up to 249 gallons

Bubble King Double Cone +RD3 Speedy
Footprint with pump: 14 x 11.5"
Height: 21"
Body base diameter: 8"
Neck diameter: 3.9"
Pump: Red Dragon 3 Speedy DC
Water flow: 1320 gph (without air), 793 gph (with air)
Max air draw: Up to 1500 L/hr
Power consumption: 50 watts
Manufacturer tank rating: Up to 132 gallons

On paper, the Bubble King definitely leads the race. Especially with that whopping 1500 liters per hour air draw using only 50 watts of power. I like the small neck diameters on both skimmers - this was a significant factor for me since it's tricky to find a good skimmer for small water volume. Something to consider is that the water volume flowing through the BK will be more than the water volume flowing through my sump.

The skimmer bodies are VERY similar - the BK has a wine bottle shape and the ATB has a true cone shape. The bubble plate design is very similar - the wine bottle shape of the BK allows a slighter larger distance from the body wall to the top of the bubble plate component, where the ATB is slightly narrower at this point. They are the same height. The same base diameter. The BK shortens the body height in favor of a taller collection cup, thus the ATB has a taller body height. The standpipe on the BK is 1/4" larger than the standpipe on the ATB - likely to allow the significantly larger water volume to pass through. On the BK the outlet is positioned lower, where the ATB is slightly up the body wall - maybe there will be less microbubbles leaving the BK. The most significant difference is the pump - a $200 pump and a $700 pump.

Last edited by Myka; 05/08/2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05/08/2015, 12:22 PM   #46
reefmutt
Registered Member

Cool. Thanks for that.
Interesting that atb rates their skimmer for 250g tank volume while BK rates theirs at 130 and the BK draws almost twice the air..
I know dwell time plays a significant role in skimmer efficiency and the atb is taller.. But I think that atb was pushing it a bit with that rating..
Nice clean up job on the atb, by the way..
Personally I don't see how the atb could outperform the BK, based on the pumps used..

Old 05/08/2015, 12:24 PM   #47
reefmutt
Registered Member

Actually.. Looking at them, dwell time would be the same for both... The top of the foam overflow is at the same height..

Old 05/08/2015, 12:41 PM   #48
Myka
Reefing since '93

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for that.
Interesting that atb rates their skimmer for 250g tank volume while BK rates theirs at 130 and the BK draws almost twice the air..
I know dwell time plays a significant role in skimmer efficiency and the atb is taller.. But I think that atb was pushing it a bit with that rating..
Nice clean up job on the atb, by the way..
Personally I don't see how the atb could outperform the BK, based on the pumps used..
I am interested to try the RD3 Speedy pump on the ATB. They use the same style connection from pump to skimmer (a short section of silicone tubing) so swapping out will be a breeze. Since the RD3 is controllable I can slow it down if the standpipe on the ATB doesn't allow full flow. I'm interested to see if the bodies are essentially equal in performance (the BK definitely leads in build quality). Can you tell I like tinkering??

Quote:
Actually.. Looking at them, dwell time would be the same for both... The top of the foam overflow is at the same height..
Almost, the ATB is about 1/2" taller, but that's probably negligible.

Old 05/10/2015, 03:21 PM   #49
Myka
Reefing since '93

I will be fabricating a steel stand for the tank. I've decided to do this first to see how much space I have to slide the sump in - I may need to adjust the measurements of the sump. I was going to do it today, but found the steel supply stores closed yesterday.

As per discussion here, I will be building it out of 1" square tube with 0.15" wall thickness (provided this is a common size that I can find). I'll put some small 45 degree braces in most of the corners to help with any wobble.

The finishing of the stand will be 3/4" plywood panels that I will finish with an enamel acrylic white paint on the inside, and the outside will be finished with an oil-based high gloss spray in a dark gray to match our lower kitchen cabinets.

The plywood panels will be attached using magnets so they are easily removable for maintenance. Seeing as the sump area will be very limited for space, the removable panels will help with access - especially in the electrical area. There will be a divider to make a "dry side" to protect the electrical from the "wet side" of the sump.

Old 05/11/2015, 09:11 AM   #50
GSMclowns
A Reef Enthusiast

Beautiful skimmers you have there.
About the stand, have you thought of building it using 80/20 aluminum channel? I saw some stands like that online, looks very clean and pretty strong too.

`.. , . .`.. >((((>
GSMclowns is online now   Reply With Quote