Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/12/2017, 08:12 AM   #26
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcafood View Post
Try to find a local forum near you then just ask. Anyone nearby with a decently balanced tank would probably give you any type you want for free.

Definetly break up what ever sample you get, more innoculation points for the tank.

Didnít think about that, Iíll check local forums. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02tts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2017, 10:46 AM   #27
hegeh
Registered Member

All you need is a small piece. Smash it into powder and let them take over ur tank. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hegeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2017, 11:11 AM   #28
dangros
Registered Member

I had this issue as well. I even introduced some rock from a local store and it faded over a month. I then seeded with a local reefer's snail and set it by the power head (near heavy flow). I also got a Calcium reactor so I dont know which of the 2 contributed the most. Now I have it everywhere. In the past it faded when Magnesium dropped. Now it does so when Alk drops due to overconsumption. It took me several months, close to a year.

Be patient and enjoy the clean look of your tank. As others have stated, introduce some from a local reefer.
And btw, your tank looks amazing.

dangros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2017, 02:10 PM   #29
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangros View Post
I had this issue as well. I even introduced some rock from a local store and it faded over a month. I then seeded with a local reefer's snail and set it by the power head (near heavy flow). I also got a Calcium reactor so I dont know which of the 2 contributed the most. Now I have it everywhere. In the past it faded when Magnesium dropped. Now it does so when Alk drops due to overconsumption. It took me several months, close to a year.

Be patient and enjoy the clean look of your tank. As others have stated, introduce some from a local reefer.

And btw, your tank looks amazing.

Thanks for help and comments.

Will try to find a local reefer, youíd be amazed how many stores Iíve called or have driven to and no one has any rock with growth on it.

Old 10/13/2017, 04:35 AM   #30
rockhead51
Registered Member

+1 on seed it. I have mostly purple, but some green, brick red, and dark red as well. I've never run anything but stock BioCube LEDs. That said, I even have it under overhangs which get NO direct light whatsoever.

Word to the wise, though. It is an all or nothing proposition. I tried to keep it off my back wall, but it was a fool's errand...

In the pics you can see my back wall when it just started (maybe 9, 10 months ago), then about 7 months later (now it is solid on the back wall). The pic with the frimandi shows the growth under an overhang.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2017, 09:04 AM   #31
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhead51 View Post
+1 on seed it. I have mostly purple, but some green, brick red, and dark red as well. I've never run anything but stock BioCube LEDs. That said, I even have it under overhangs which get NO direct light whatsoever.

Word to the wise, though. It is an all or nothing proposition. I tried to keep it off my back wall, but it was a fool's errand...

In the pics you can see my back wall when it just started (maybe 9, 10 months ago), then about 7 months later (now it is solid on the back wall). The pic with the frimandi shows the growth under an overhang.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Hmmm...think Iím going to hold off for now. While Iíd love to see the growth on the Rocks im thinking maintaining it off everywhere else including the sump, overflow, etc might be more of a headache than itís worth.

Old 10/13/2017, 12:22 PM   #32
orcafood
Registered Member

Add one snail and it will start growing in your tank, even if you scrap the snail clean. You should use this opportunity to try and select a type because it will find a way in with whatever you eventually stock.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon sps
orcafood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2017, 07:49 AM   #33
PAreefGUY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tts View Post
I canít for the life of me grow this stuff...what Iím I doing wrong...what kind of lights and how long should they be on for, because all other water parameters are in check.

Ca - 400
Mag - 1300
Ph - 8.1
Alk - 10dkh
Phosphates - not really measurable

Iíve even had the tank without any inhabitants for a year now - donít ask.

Here is a pic, as you can see no purple algae.

Obviously Iím doing something wrong.

Purple coraline produces by letting off spores.. If your rock did not have any on it you will need to 'seed' your tank. Scrape some off a buddies in a bag with a bit of water crush it to a pulp, the water will turn purple. Then just pour into your tank. Alot of live rock sold these days is the Life Rock, Man made but looks real.. no true reef organisms on it. hope this helps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 210 reef
PAreefGUY is offline   Reply With Quote