Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 08/06/2018, 09:28 PM   #5226
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Just got back into the hobby with a Red Sea Max E170. It came with the AI Hydra 26 HD. What would be good settings to run on this for an SPS focused reef? What about a mixed reef of SPS and LPS?

Iím currently using the Red Sea Reef Spec settings that came on the printout. Not sure if thatís supposed to be any good.

Thanks!

Try my SPS AB+ settings or the BRS AB+ settings for either a mixed reef or sps dominant tank. For reference I have a reefer 170 which is a mixed reef and am running an ati powermodule on it which is essentially equivalent to 4t5ís and a hydra 26HD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2018, 09:34 PM   #5227
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatz View Post
Thanks OV. Just concerned that I might burn something!! Will give one of yours a go and see what happens...

Use the acclimation modes try 30% for 2 months. I have never killed an acro from too little light (slows their growth considerably) but have rtn many by putting too much light on them too quickly. The slow acclimation will give them plenty of time to adjust to the new tank. Also, if some of your acros go poof after the tank change donít automatically assume it was the lights. I have never had much luck with acros surviving tank moves and the one thing I have learned with leds is to just pick a schedule and donít change it again. The constant tinkering we want to do with the leds is acropora kryptonite lol

Old 08/07/2018, 07:42 AM   #5228
fischcrazy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
For an acro tank itís all about acclimation. Adam a Battlecorals runs 250 watt halides and reef breeder photons 100% all channels over 10Ē raceways. Iím quite sure heís getting 500-100 par on those corals. The key is that he runs the lights high (24Ē) to diffuse the light. If at all possible I would get the lights up higher since the tank maybe 20-24Ē awl. Also on a 48Ē wide tank you will likely need a 3rd 52HD at some point to reduce shading.

Thank you Orcus. i'm actually running 2 26's and am getting good colorup from the 'stock' SPS AB+ with Respiration after 3 weeks. do you think I should increase V, RB, and B by 25% in the peaks and 21% in the respiration period? should i increase RGW as well?

Old 08/07/2018, 08:14 AM   #5229
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Anyone running halides and LED?

I added the 400w pendants back onto my tank and wanted to see what LED scheduled those that are running both are using.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2018, 08:48 AM   #5230
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
Anyone running halides and LED?

I added the 400w pendants back onto my tank and wanted to see what LED scheduled those that are running both are using.

How many lights, how many pendants, and how big is the tank?

Old 08/07/2018, 08:53 AM   #5231
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
How many lights, how many pendants, and how big is the tank?

Ya that would help.

Tank is 72" x 36" x 36"

Right now I have (3) Hydra 52 HD.

I just put back on (3) 400w halide pendants.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2018, 01:02 PM   #5232
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischcrazy View Post
Thank you Orcus. i'm actually running 2 26's and am getting good colorup from the 'stock' SPS AB+ with Respiration after 3 weeks. do you think I should increase V, RB, and B by 25% in the peaks and 21% in the respiration period? should i increase RGW as well?

If your getting good coloration and growth then donít change anything. I eventually removed the respiration peaks from my schedule and have been running a schedule with 90 uv/v/rb/b 20 w/r/g 7hrs of max light and 2hr ramps. But the key with leds is just to pick a setting and never change it again. IMO thatís why we all had so much success with halides and t5 yet struggle with leds.

Old 08/07/2018, 01:04 PM   #5233
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
Ya that would help.

Tank is 72" x 36" x 36"

Right now I have (3) Hydra 52 HD.

I just put back on (3) 400w halide pendants.

Iíd hang the hydras as high as you can feasibly hang them and run the AB+ schedule.