Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/10/2018, 10:08 PM   #1
ole85
Registered Member

new to reef keeping should you copper treat fish

should i be copper treating all my fish in qt or should i just observer the fish and treat if needed mainly tangs

ole85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2018, 05:14 AM   #2
ReefkeeperZ
Registered Member

copper while very effective in killing ich is toxic to fish as well I would only recomend using it when/if needed, there are other methods available as well that you may want to look into but as to your actual question I would only use copper as needed not as a prophylactic.

ReefkeeperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2018, 05:35 AM   #3
top shelf
Registered Member

As Reefkeeperz said it is effective but also toxic and should be used as a last resort. Some fish do not tolerate copper treatment and are to sensitive like many tangs. The TTM is very effective and less stressful for the fish but a little more involved. This is a very detailed comprehensive write on the tank transfer method. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388428 Depending the size of the fish you are treating it can be as simple as 2 5g buckets but with tangs you will likely need something bigger.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2018, 06:49 AM   #4
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
As Reefkeeperz said it is effective but also toxic and should be used as a last resort. Some fish do not tolerate copper treatment and are to sensitive like many tangs. The TTM is very effective and less stressful for the fish but a little more involved. This is a very detailed comprehensive write on the tank transfer method. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388428 Depending the size of the fish you are treating it can be as simple as 2 5g buckets but with tangs you will likely need something bigger.
To nit pick a bit, copper treats WAY more than TTM ever could hope to. OP, I would recommend looking into Cloroquine phosphate. It can treat a wide range of what ails our fish, and is safer than coppper. Some wrasses are sensitive to it though.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2018, 11:59 AM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Never treat for the shear point of medicating...
Only treat upon an absolute diagnosis and by the methods discribed in the sticky notes of this site. Watch, understand, feed...........

Uncle99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2018, 12:40 PM   #6
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
To nit pick a bit, copper treats WAY more than TTM ever could hope to. OP, I would recommend looking into Cloroquine phosphate. It can treat a wide range of what ails our fish, and is safer than coppper. Some wrasses are sensitive to it though.
I'll agree with you but there are many fish that can't be treated with it like certain tangs which the op mentioned. Granted the op also never stated what he/she was trying to use the copper for but generally it's used for ich in which case TTM would be safer. If op could be more specific as to what they wanna use it for and what type of tangs they would like to treat better advice could be given.

Old 01/11/2018, 01:58 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

I use TTM for ALL new fish and do NOT consider it medicating. Ick can go undetected even through a QT period and end up in your tank. Thus my reason for TTM (I do treat with PraziPro during the 2nd and 4th transfers).

I QT for a couple weeks after TTM for other disease that would show themselves.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 8 ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Reef Octopus CaRx

Current Tank Info: Red Head, Yellow/Purple, Hoevans, Possum Wrasses, Kole, Purple & Atlantic Blue Tangs, Matted Filefish, Percula Clown, 4 PJ Cardinals, Swallowtail Angel
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2018, 01:21 AM   #8
ole85
Registered Member

Yes I was thinking of using cooper treatment for inc.
Blue tang
Yellow tang
Purple tang

The ttm sounds very difficult for a amerture like my self just trying to get my head around it

Old 01/12/2018, 03:49 AM   #9
top shelf
Registered Member

For ich I would definitely suggest TTM. It's actually really easy. You would have 2 tanks, two heaters, and two air pumps with air stones. Every 72hrs you would transfer fish from one tank to the next for 2 weeks. Basically your breaking the life cycle and removing the fish before the ich can re attach.

Old 01/12/2018, 08:06 AM   #10
nereefpat
Registered Member

I would not use copper prophylactically, and only use copper if there was a disease that required me to treat with copper.

I agree TTM is actually really easy. With tangs especially, I would do TTM. Then you never have to worry about ich.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 03:35 AM   #11
ole85
Registered Member

How long dose in take for ich to show up on the fish if they are effected from lfs.
Could i just observer them for a period of time and if there no sign of ich transfer them into my dt

With ttm method do you use the water from display tank and can you do more then one fish at once

Old 01/13/2018, 07:30 AM   #12
nereefpat
Registered Member

Ich can complete its life cycle in as soon as about a week, or it can take as long as 70-some days. It depends on how long it stays in its encysted from. I believe the average is about a couple weeks. The longer you wait, the more certain you can be.

TTM takes 12 days. You can use your display water if you are absolutely sure that it is sterile (as far as ich).

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 08:07 AM   #13
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Ich can complete its life cycle in as soon as about a week, or it can take as long as 70-some days. It depends on how long it stays in its encysted from. I believe the average is about a couple weeks. The longer you wait, the more certain you can be.

TTM takes 12 days. You can use your display water if you are absolutely sure that it is sterile (as far as ich).
If you take water from the DT you just have to make new to replace it so jsut use new for the TTM.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 8 ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Reef Octopus CaRx

Current Tank Info: Red Head, Yellow/Purple, Hoevans, Possum Wrasses, Kole, Purple & Atlantic Blue Tangs, Matted Filefish, Percula Clown, 4 PJ Cardinals, Swallowtail Angel
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote