Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/13/2016, 08:37 AM   #1
drakedeming
Registered Member

JBJ Rimless Desktop 10g

I am looking at getting one of these as my first tank.

JBJ Rimless Desktop 10g Penninsula w/Lyra 9w Bar LED

http://www.amazon.com/JBJ-Rimless-De...mless+aquarium

It appears the filter can be completely removed if it is insufficient(seems to be ok though and has a spot for a heater). The lights sound useless since a timer will not work with them, I may be able to DIY them but I am willing to buy another light.

My main question is, does anyone have experience with this brand? Are they reliable, any stories of the seams leaking? I have searched and only found a little bit of information on them.

If you own one and use the filter would I be able to fit a power head on the filter side, or is this just not a good idea for flow? Am I stuck having a power head on the opposite side of the filter for optimal flow?

I plan on making a build thread once I gatherer a little more information on a few items, but the tank is obviously most important.

drakedeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2016, 12:42 AM   #2
Reigun
Registered Member

I picked one of these up for a quick hospital tank.

From my experience, the light is junk. It is touch sensored to switch between the intensity and modes. You can't put a timer on it and from day 1 the color modes would jump from blue to white to blue white and then off when turning on..very buggy... Stopped working after a week.

The hang in filter is a good idea. You can move it around if you don't like having it on the side. I ended up moving it to the middle center with hang on LEDs on each side. You have to run the water pretty high up due to the return nozzle otherwise it will be splashing. I'll be adding a nano powerhead to both ends, hopefully it won't overspill.

Reigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/09/2016, 10:12 PM   #3
Rakie
Registered Member

Way better options out there. id say go for an Innovative Marine tank, and buy an AI Prime or something similar.

Old 06/12/2016, 06:52 AM   #4
DustanT
Registered Member

First tank as in never had a fish tank? Small tanks are such a pain to keep everything in check, I have 22 gallons and wish I had 50 the lighting that comes with most tanks like that are really not good, like above post the AI Prime is a good value for what you get. Small tanks with the filter chambers in the back make for a clean look without a HOB hanging off somewhere. I think after 4 month my new saying is cheaper and faster is nothing short of a nightmare.

Tunze nano ATO
DustanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2017, 07:24 PM   #5
Abstractxx02195
Registered Member

Did you end up doing any upgrades? I too have this and looking to share ideas with any other owners.

Im actually on 3.0 now cuz the first 2 were not up to par. Heres an old photo of 2.0. Looking for ideas before starting 3.0

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0496.jpg (62.5 KB, 27 views)
Abstractxx02195 is offline   Reply With Quote