Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/23/2017, 06:33 PM   #1
SaltyDoug
Registered Member

Swollen eye

Hi guys my Bartlett Anthia has been doing pretty poorly the last 24 hours. He has been swimming in the corner of the tank and is pretty lethargic. I just noticed one of his eyes is significantly larger then the other.

All my other fish seem to be fine.

I have had him almost 3 years now, i haven't added a new fish in over a year. I did however add a bubble tip nem about a month ago so i suppose there is a small chance i could of introduced something then.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170723_201334.jpg (57.8 KB, 24 views)
SaltyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2017, 03:53 PM   #2
theshocker
Registered Member

Possible pop eye? I would treat with maracyn if you don't see any improvement in the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/27/2017, 07:09 PM   #3
SaltyDoug
Registered Member

I placed him in quarantine yesterday and started maracyn today.
Unfortunately he is not eating, I fear he maybe fully blind even in his non damaged looking eye.

Old 07/27/2017, 07:27 PM   #4
theshocker
Registered Member

Medications can curve an appetite. Give him a few days to see if the meds help. I hope he pulls through for you.

theshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2017, 07:12 PM   #5
SaltyDoug
Registered Member

Good news

The eye looks nearly completely healed.

Bad news is I havent seen him eat in a solid week. Given the need to feed anthias multiple times daily, I'm concerned.

My second worry is his female has gone from being shy to asserting herself with the other fish. So even if the male pulls through I fear they won't be able to co exist anymore.

Old 08/12/2017, 07:53 PM   #6
SaltyDoug
Registered Member

One last bump

His eye physically healed but he has yet to eat in close to 3 weeks. He shows no interest in food and just hides all day on the bottom of the tank.

At this point is there anything else I can try or am I just unnecessarily prolonging his suffering at this point