Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/11/2018, 05:05 PM   #1
Newms118
Registered Member

Coral Beauty on its way out - need help identifying disease

So I got a beautiful coral beauty from LA almost 2 weeks ago. I dipped the fish in formalin when I got it, and it seemed really healthy. It ate everything for about a week. I even have a UV pump in my 10 gallon QT to make sure the water stays as clean as possible. (I should add I also got a flame angel, yellow clown goby, striped goby, and spotted goby). The coral beauty was actually the aggressor to the flame, but it was hardly any real fight, and after about a week they left each other alone as long as one didnt get in the others spot.

Start this week, the coral beauty starts not eating. I also noticed that it was breathing really shallow, like its mouth was barely opening (like it was mumbling) and its gills were going really fast (almost quivering). So I think flukes. I do a prazipro treatment, it goes through it no improvements. (Ill add my DT also started losing fish after I started feeding some blood worms (I swear to god these things can transfer disease, something in the freshwater), so the DT got a prazipro treatment and that seems to have stopped the massacre). So since the prazipro didnt help the coral beauty, I changed the water after completing 4 days, and dosed once with Paraguard (suspecting something bacterial). 24 hours later I dont see any change and I start noticing a small discoloration at the bottom (near its rectum), and so Im thinking the paraguard isnt doing anything. This morning I add in Furan-2 because the only other antibiotic I have is metronidazole and I dont think this is a valid treatment option given the symptoms.

After I come back from work, here is what the fish looks like:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/pi...ictureid=79926

And this:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/pi...ictureid=79929

Its not moving aside from breathing fast, so likely will die in about an hour. I might just euthanize it because its got to be suffering. So I plan on keeping with completing the Furan-2 treatment just in case it could go to the other fish. However, all other fish are eating fine and dont seem to be affected.

So what does this look like? If it was flukes, Prazipro should have done something, so I dont suspect that anymore. Maybe Ich? I had the UV going so I dont know how that would have gotten a hold so quickly. Should I continue with the Furan-2 or maybe get something anti-fungal or kanamycin?

So sad about that coral beauty, is got to be one of the prettiest Ive seen, i thought i was lucky. Such vivid blues in its color.

**BTW, if the pictures dont show, I dont know why. Something with the site? I dont see it with chrome but they showed up with firefox.

Newms118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2018, 09:14 PM   #2
Louis Z
Registered Member

Breathing fast maybe velvet . Why other fish havenít shown signs , I donít know. http://agrilife.org/fisheries/files/...arine-Fish.pdf.
I am guessing . So this is a form I often show others when itís possible culprit . I always Paraguards conc dip. Or you can FW dip followed with a TTM routine with General Cure on each successive transfer . Always look for signs of velvet or Brooklynella. If I see those signs I would use formalin baths repeated every couple of days interspersed with FW dips . Consider using chloroquine phosphate on the others

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2018, 09:38 PM   #3
Newms118
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Z View Post
Breathing fast maybe velvet . Why other fish havenít shown signs , I donít know. http://agrilife.org/fisheries/files/...arine-Fish.pdf.
I am guessing . So this is a form I often show others when itís possible culprit . I always Paraguards conc dip. Or you can FW dip followed with a TTM routine with General Cure on each successive transfer . Always look for signs of velvet or Brooklynella. If I see those signs I would use formalin baths repeated every couple of days interspersed with FW dips . Consider using chloroquine phosphate on the others
I did formalin dip each fish when I first got them. I put them through 20 minutes of the treatment. Does Furan-2 treat velvet, or is another antibiotic/Paraguard better at this?

Old 10/11/2018, 10:58 PM   #4
Louis Z
Registered Member

If you donít have chloroquine then you can use copper treatments. Furan wonít do anything against these parasites . Article also recommends FW dips, hydrogen peroxide, chloroquine . I want to emphasize that after you do a dip or treatment that you move the fish to a clean tank,so as to limit the amount of dinospores that are able to reinfect the fish . Itís like leaving the infected water behind while continuing treatment

Old 10/12/2018, 07:56 PM   #5
Newms118
Registered Member

Quote:
If you donít have chloroquine then you can use copper treatments. Furan wonít do anything against these parasites . Article also recommends FW dips, hydrogen peroxide, chloroquine . I want to emphasize that after you do a dip or treatment that you move the fish to a clean tank,so as to limit the amount of dinospores that are able to reinfect the fish . Itís like leaving the infected water behind while continuing treatment
Oh I understand, the original formalin dip was in a bucket and then they were transferred into a clean tank. So since that guy is dead and I plan on replacing him, when I get the new fish in, ill do a formalin dip too but should i just start treating with CP? I just bought some NLS Ich shield which uses a similar compound as CP, so I can always treat with that first before I do prazipro or Paraguard.

Or should I just do Paraguard while the fish gets used to eating and then CP once its started eating?

The tank will have 1 flame angel, 1 coral beauty, 1 yellow clown goby, 1 green clown goby, 1 orangemarked goby, 1 spotted watchman goby.

And I still say all the current fish look normal, no obvious signs something is off. I'm almost at the 24 hours water change, so Im wondering if to just continue with completing the furan-2, go to paraguard again or something else...

Old 10/12/2018, 09:01 PM   #6
Louis Z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newms118 View Post
Oh I understand, the original formalin dip was in a bucket and then they were transferred into a clean tank. So since that guy is dead and I plan on replacing him, when I get the new fish in, ill do a formalin dip too but should i just start treating with CP? I just bought some NLS Ich shield which uses a similar compound as CP, so I can always treat with that first before I do prazipro or Paraguard.

Or should I just do Paraguard while the fish gets used to eating and then CP once its started eating?

The tank will have 1 flame angel, 1 coral beauty, 1 yellow clown goby, 1 green clown goby, 1 orangemarked goby, 1 spotted watchman goby.

And I still say all the current fish look normal, no obvious signs something is off. I'm almost at the 24 hours water change, so Im wondering if to just continue with completing the furan-2, go to paraguard again or something else...

Old 10/12/2018, 09:09 PM   #7
Louis Z
Registered Member

First , I would not get another fish yet. I would take care of the ones you have. Yes I would put them in a Hospital Tank and start treatment

Old 10/12/2018, 10:04 PM   #8
Newms118
Registered Member

Quote:
First , I would not get another fish yet. I would take care of the ones you have. Yes I would put them in a Hospital Tank and start treatment
Ok they are already in the QT, I have some old NLS Ich shield I can use. I just wanted to wait until the new batch came in, but if its best to start treatment ASAP, ill change the water tomorrow and begin the CP treatment. Ill start with the lower dose (prophylactic) since I dont know if they are infected and I dont want to kill the fish accidentally with that medication.

Old 10/12/2018, 10:18 PM   #9
Louis Z
Registered Member

First , I would not get another fish yet. I would take care of the ones you have. Yes I would put them in a Hospital Tank and start treatment even if they donít show signs. I have never used that ick shield powder but it says it treats ick and velvet . So if it is true then yes use that if you like. . In treating them . I would also concurrently do the TTM . I donít know what disease it is so I would treat as if you had both diseases . When you complete the treatments any new fish should now go thru treatment and qt. Yes I use paragaurd for flukes or you want FW dip folllowed by TTM and I personally add General cure which has prazi and metro . And I add it with each tank transfer and I also do a FW or paraguard dip before each transfer. And if you see signs of brooklynella or velvet , I would start treatment for that right away . And please if anyone else wants to add in advice please do

Old 10/12/2018, 10:22 PM   #10
Louis Z
Registered Member

Sorry for not finishing my post and double posting . I would hate for you to lose any more fish to what ever that was that kill d the CB