Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 04/08/2010, 12:08 PM   #1
anthonydel
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 5
Curing "old/dead" Live Rock

Hey everyone,

I had 115 gallon reef tank 3 years ago, and ended up going through a divorce which led to the neglect of my reef tank. So I took it down and kept everything knowing someday that I'd put it backup.

That being said, I've gotten the itch again and am ready to re-setup my tank. I kept all the live rock that I had (now dead rock) in a container. I know heard people cure their own rock and I'm assuming this is what I'll have to do in order to get it reef ready. I have time and I'm not in a rush but I want to get a head start and get this rock ready to go.

Can anyone let me know the best process to do this? Can this be done outside of the tank in say a rubber made container/can? What am I in for?


anthonydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2010, 12:19 PM   #2
liz62
Zeohead
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 418
In short yes it can.
In the tank would be better though. You will need a skimmer, powerheads, and a heater. I would buy a couple of new pieces of fresh LR to seed the rock that you have.
You will be looking at a couple of months before it is cycled, hence the reason why I would just do it in the tank that you intend to set-up


liz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2010, 12:25 PM   #3
anthonydel
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz62 View Post
In short yes it can.
In the tank would be better though. You will need a skimmer, powerheads, and a heater. I would buy a couple of new pieces of fresh LR to seed the rock that you have.
You will be looking at a couple of months before it is cycled, hence the reason why I would just do it in the tank that you intend to set-up
Ideally I would like to cure the rock in my tank as well, but my goal was, while waiting for the rock to cure, to setup my tank, get the pluming and noise issues taken care of and tested.


anthonydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2010, 12:27 PM   #4
liz62
Zeohead
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 418
Ok - well then a container it is - throw in a couple of pieces of fresh rock to seed it though.


liz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 01:31 PM   #5
looneyreefer
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Quincy, IL
Posts: 62
I have a simulare question. I have a 45 gal with about 50lbs of LR. I am upgrading to 75 gal soon. My friend gave me a buch of his old LR thats been sitting in a box for a few years. I plan to scrub it all... but is that efficiente? Can I then add that with my other rock in the new tank set up? Will I get a cycle still?


looneyreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 03:09 PM   #6
danil
Registered Member
 
danil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 967
I would advise you to check the forum on the topic. There are many sources of how to cure dry (base) rock. There are more then one way to do it obviously... pick the one you like. One thing though... don't 'seed' anything until your rocks are alive (cycle is over). Curing in the tank is not a good idea for your type of rock. I'm sure your rock has tons of dry biomass and curing is a very smelly thing plus you would be better wash the rock one or few times to speed up the process.
GL!


danil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Paul B
Premium Member
 
Paul B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 15,564
Quote:
Can this be done outside of the tank in say a rubber made container/can? What am I in for?
There is no process, just put it back in the tank, or a plastic container and fill it with saltwater. Thats it. Any dead algae or organic material in the rock will start the bacterial process. You will still have to cycle the tank with either a dead shrimp or amonia depending on what you want to do. But I would use the rock as it is.
Of course if it is all dusty or has cat litter all over it, I would hose it off first.


__________________
I used to get shocked when I put my hand in my tank. Then the electric eel went dead.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 04:30 PM   #8
EDJFA
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 990
You just heard from a guy who's been doing this longer than many of us have been alive.

I can tell you when I set up mine, I got the rocks from the previous tank owner in a laundry basket. Dead of course. I put in the sand and water. Added the rocks plus one 5-6lb rock from my LFS's LR tub and let it go. The only reason I rinsed off the rocks was to get some of the accumulated crap out of all the holes. Probably didn't really need to do that except I didn't want it floating around in my nice clean tank.

If you do rinse them off with a garden hose, maybe rinse them off again with some RO/DI water just to make sure you don't carry any nasty stuff from your municipal water into your tank accidentally.


EDJFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Paul B
Premium Member
 
Paul B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 15,564
Quote:
You just heard from a guy who's been doing this longer than many of us have been alive.
You calling me old?


__________________
I used to get shocked when I put my hand in my tank. Then the electric eel went dead.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 09:35 AM   #10
looneyreefer
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Quincy, IL
Posts: 62
Ammonia levels in my curing tub spiked to 8 this morning, nitrite 0, nitrate 5

Should I do a water change in the tub? 100% /50%


looneyreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 11:29 AM   #11
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member
 
Gary Majchrzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Spencerport, NY
Posts: 41,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonydel View Post
Hey everyone,

I had 115 gallon reef tank 3 years ago, and ended up going through a divorce which led to the neglect of my reef tank. So I took it down and kept everything knowing someday that I'd put it backup.

That being said, I've gotten the itch again and am ready to re-setup my tank. I kept all the live rock that I had (now dead rock) in a container. I know heard people cure their own rock and I'm assuming this is what I'll have to do in order to get it reef ready. I have time and I'm not in a rush but I want to get a head start and get this rock ready to go.

Can anyone let me know the best process to do this? Can this be done outside of the tank in say a rubber made container/can? What am I in for?
WELCOME BACK!

Divorce sucks. Good news: your life and your reef aquarium are gonna be better than ever!


here's what I would recommend you do to that liverock



__________________
over 24 years experience with multiple types of marine aquarium systems
*see Upstate Reef Society Forum on RC and FB* GOOGLE JUNIOR'S REEF

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2017, 05:39 PM   #12
jeruvalcaba
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1
Live Rock Dead or Alive?

Hello guys,

I have a 20 saltwater tank, I added about 20lbs of live rock, I also have one Clown Fish only, and a cleaners crew, Now, my question is or my concern, All my Live rock doesn't really look alive, been in my tank for about 6 months, How long does it take for me to be able to see new ecosystems in my live rock?

Thank you.


jeruvalcaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2017, 06:25 PM   #13
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeruvalcaba View Post
Hello guys,

I have a 20 saltwater tank, I added about 20lbs of live rock, I also have one Clown Fish only, and a cleaners crew, Now, my question is or my concern, All my Live rock doesn't really look alive, been in my tank for about 6 months, How long does it take for me to be able to see new ecosystems in my live rock?

Thank you.
Live rock won't spring corals or macro algae, or anything like that unless it has that on it (even only a couple of cells) when you put it in the tank. What makes the rock "live" is the biofilm (bacteria) that sets up household on the rock and stabilizes your aquarium.

Fresh out of the ocean live rock is where you get the myriad of life and ready made echo system. Both good and bad hitchhikers.

If you want stuff to grow on your rocks, much like an empty field, you have to "plant" it by the way of introducing corals or other types of life.


__________________
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not." Neil deGrasse Tyson

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
curing, cycle, live rock

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:21 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.