Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 08/01/2018, 07:29 PM   #1
Ab129
Registered Member

Testing for Mag, Ca and KH/Alk

So to quickly recap my situation, I had a BTA and several frags that were all doing great for the first month and then things went south for about a month.
Now everything seems to be coming back slowly so thatís cool.
I just got the salifert test kits for Mag Ca and khalk and I am puzzled by the results, especially after reading sk8erís water parameter sticky.
My numbers were

Mag 300
KH/Alk. 9.3
Ca 100

Does this seem possible or did I possibly not test properly?
I did not do the low resolution tests
I plan to bring a sample to LFS this weekend and see what they come up with but always interested to hear what the thoughts are around here.

75 gallon marineland tank, Trigger systems Ruby30 sump, Reef Octo 150 sss skimmer and Varios 6 return pump, Icecap gyre 3k with backup, (2) Radion xr15 4 gen, Icecap ATO eheim heaters Spectrapure RO/D

Current Tank Info: Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, SG 1.025, pH 8.4
Ab129 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/01/2018, 07:36 PM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

As long as everything looks cool I wouldn't panic. Like you said though bounce your test results against the LFS or somebody else just to make sure. Sometimes you can get LOST in those parameters... KISS, GL.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Last edited by AlSimmons; 08/01/2018 at 08:25 PM.
AlSimmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2018, 04:21 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

I would suggest repeating them a couple times just to verify your results. The Alk is right in the middle of the good range, but the Ca and Mg are almost impossibly low.

Especially with the Magnesium test - follow the directions exactly. I use the stopwatch function on my phone. When it says to swirl for 30 seconds, swirl for 30 seconds. If it is really that low, it is impossible to bring the other two into line.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, ASM G2 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, no skimmer (yet)
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2018, 04:35 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Alk is fine.. Mag/Cal are very unlikely to be correct..
Test a batch of new saltwater too..

Old 08/02/2018, 07:29 AM   #5
mattgumaer
Registered Member

As others have said, the mag and calc are way, way off so it's either a bad test, crazy out of whack parameters or some combination of the two. If you're doing any kind of regular water changes, it's hard to imagine things getting that far off.

As mcgyvr suggested, try testing some freshly made SW for comparison. If that looks 'normal' for your salt, go ahead and do a big water change (maybe 33-50% if you have the water storage space) and test the display tank again.

If mag is really that low, you'll never get alk and calc in balance without fixing it first. If you have the ability to dose each independently, start by bringing your mag into a normal range, then bump up the calc.

Start with the confirming of test results though. It's hard to believe those numbers are correct.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2018, 07:36 AM   #6
nereefpat
Registered Member

Mg and Ca are suffering from user error.

I would guess that the test is being read backwards....Like you're reading how much is left instead of how much was used, or vice versa. For example the Mg is 1200 instead of 300ppm.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2018, 12:24 PM   #7
Ab129
Registered Member

I will test all 3 again tonight and see what I come up with.
Just to clarify , if they say add drops until the water turns pink and at some point the water is only partially pink and partially blue I should keep adding drops correct?

75 gallon marineland tank, Trigger systems Ruby30 sump, Reef Octo 150 sss skimmer and Varios 6 return pump, Icecap gyre 3k with backup, (2) Radion xr15 4 gen, Icecap ATO eheim heaters Spectrapure RO/D

Old 08/02/2018, 12:53 PM   #8
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab129 View Post
I will test all 3 again tonight and see what I come up with.
Just to clarify , if they say add drops until the water turns pink and at some point the water is only partially pink and partially blue I should keep adding drops correct?
Add one more to see if it's all pink.

And to your measurements, you use the amount used as the reference, not how much is left in the syringe.

This is a for a Red Sea kit, but basically the general process the same.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video...-pro-test-kit/

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2018, 01:24 PM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

Are you using the syringes that came with the test kits? Some syringes go from 1 to .00.

I bought a bunche berfore realizing the graduations were "backwards".

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 8 ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Reef Octopus CaRx

Current Tank Info: Red Head, Yellow/Purple, Hoevans, Possum Wrasses, Kole, Purple & Atlantic Blue Tangs, Matted Filefish, Percula Clown, 4 PJ Cardinals, Swallowtail Angel
hkgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2018, 01:27 PM   #10
Ab129
Registered Member

No Iím using the syringes that came with the kits.
Lol!

Old 08/02/2018, 10:16 PM   #11
Redeyes31
Registered Member

Quote:
No Iím using the syringes that came with the kits.
Lol!
I've only got a month under my belt using the Salifert test kits, but im used to them now. As mentioned above, follow the instructions exactly. The instructions sound almost juvenile but they are precise and accurate. If is says swirl, dont shake, for 30 seconds; swirl, and dont shake, for 30 seconds.

For the color change, if you wanna take it seriously, 1st step is SLOWLY, METHODICALLY, and patiently add drop by drop. Swirl the test tube a little btwn drops. Lets say you are going from blue to red. If you are just staring at it, you can notice some drops start to add the red color, but when you swirl it around it will revert back to blue. When you see that, slow down. At some point, even after you swirl, the color starts to change. IT will be like...starting to turn red. Slow down again. Now, Slowly add a drop. Then another. One of these drops will make it go full red. You wont have any more doubt about it being red. it will be red. Stop adding drops and take the reading.

Thats been my experience anyways.

Redeyes31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2018, 05:37 AM   #12
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes31 View Post
I've only got a month under my belt using the Salifert test kits, but im used to them now. As mentioned above, follow the instructions exactly. The instructions sound almost juvenile but they are precise and accurate. If is says swirl, dont shake, for 30 seconds; swirl, and dont shake, for 30 seconds.

For the color change, if you wanna take it seriously, 1st step is SLOWLY, METHODICALLY, and patiently add drop by drop. Swirl the test tube a little btwn drops. Lets say you are going from blue to red. If you are just staring at it, you can notice some drops start to add the red color, but when you swirl it around it will revert back to blue. When you see that, slow down. At some point, even after you swirl, the color starts to change. IT will be like...starting to turn red. Slow down again. Now, Slowly add a drop. Then another. One of these drops will make it go full red. You wont have any more doubt about it being red. it will be red. Stop adding drops and take the reading.

Thats been my experience anyways.
Good Advice. Regardless of the brand test kit, consistency is the key to getting accurate, repeatable, results.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, ASM G2 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, no skimmer (yet)
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/05/2018, 06:25 PM   #13
Ab129
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Mg and Ca are suffering from user error.

I would guess that the test is being read backwards....Like you're reading how much is left instead of how much was used, or vice versa. For example the Mg is 1200 instead of 300ppm.
Bingo!!
Correct reading is
Mag 1350
Ca. 485

Thanks !

Old 08/06/2018, 07:11 AM   #14
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab129 View Post
Bingo!!
Glad you figured it out. Now, what do I win?

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is online now   Reply With Quote