Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/02/2018, 07:20 PM   #1
Jg2691
Registered Member

I'm not quarantineing

Bought my first fish today. Two Ocellaris. Guy at the lfs told me to just acclimate and put it in the tank. I asked him how long he has the fish and their general health. He told me "I have $1000 worth of coral (fish was kept in a frag tank) in here. Do you think I would risk that for one fish?"

Guys i also have a general question. Should I feed them today or wait till tommorow? Bought some frozen fish food. https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/3747/?pcatid=3747 Same as the link. Any body have any experience with that brand?

Jg2691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2018, 07:49 PM   #2
top shelf
Registered Member

Well ultimately it's up to you and if you wanna risk it but I wouldn't. If you introduce anything your looking at up to 72 days fallow.

I don't care if they have it in with 10,000 worth of coral that makes no difference , I'm still doing qt.

You can try feeding right away they may eat they may not but usually a good sign if they start eating right away.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Anemone
Cloning Around

Um, what has fish health have to do with coral health?

Answer: Let's see, what effect fish diseases have on coral -

Ich - none,
Velvet - none
Brooklynella - none
flukes - none

Hmm, yep, I'd be concerned about fish diseases in my frag tank. /sarcasm

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2018, 03:27 AM   #4
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post

Ich - none,
Velvet - none
Brooklynella - none
flukes - none

Kevin
Yeah really, my fish killed all my coral said no one ever. Unless they ate them of course.

oldhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2018, 12:31 PM   #5
accel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jg2691 View Post
Bought my first fish today. Two Ocellaris. Guy at the lfs told me to just acclimate and put it in the tank. I asked him how long he has the fish and their general health. He told me "I have $1000 worth of coral (fish was kept in a frag tank) in here. Do you think I would risk that for one fish?"

Guys i also have a general question. Should I feed them today or wait till tommorow? Bought some frozen fish food. https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/3747/?pcatid=3747 Same as the link. Any body have any experience with that brand?

TTM method worked for me and a hospital tank afterwards.

My TTM tanks are just a bunch of plastic containers with airline tubing, airstone, and air pumps. Nothing fancy.

The hospital tank is just a 20 gallon with two pvc pipes and a sponge filter. Again nothing fancy. It solved all the ich problems I had with my fishes.

accel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2018, 01:37 PM   #6
stingythingy45
Registered Member

I take advice from fish store employees or even owner like a grain of salt.
Corals don't get Ich.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon,mixed Reef,2-250 watt Optix 3 pendants(Phoenix 14K)2-54 watt T5 Super actnics ,ASM G-2 Gate/recirc mods,70 gal. basement sump,20L ref
stingythingy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2018, 12:02 AM   #7
top shelf
Registered Member

Lfs are always so knowledgeable, tell nothing but the truth, and the only goal is to help you out. They would never lie to you just to make a sale. (Insert sarcastic tone)

Technically speaking anything wet has the possibility to carry ick, no matter how big or small that chance may be.

Also many times frag tanks are plumbed into the main system and I have seen on more then one occasion lfs have all there tanks plumbed together. Many reefers also plumb there frag tanks are multiple tanks to share one sump. Who knows the frag tank could be seperate as well from the main tanks, many people do that to. I guess I prefer to error on the side of caution and why take the risk if you don't need to. If all tanks are run together and the holding tanks have something the frag tank will as well. I suppose at the end of the day not my tank, not my problem but my opinion stands at qt.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2018, 12:40 AM   #8
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:

Ich - none,
Velvet - none
Brooklynella - none
flukes - none

Kevin
Not to mention $1000 worth of coral in a tank for a LFS is like nothing. I have seen many LFS with +$50000 coral in one tank. Saying something like "I have $1000 worth of coral" here is just weird and sounds amateur. An average reefer probably has more than $1000 worth of coral in their tanks.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2018, 06:14 AM   #9
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jg2691 View Post

Let me put it this way...

I'm currently going fallow for 2 and a half months and trying to treat all my fish because I didn't quarantine.

Ounce of prevention is better then a pound of cure. I wish I had quarantined.

Rover88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2018, 06:28 AM   #10
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

if you're not interesting in quarantineing, would you consider quarantining instead?

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2018, 02:46 PM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

I have significantly more than $1000 of corals in my 180 tank. heck I have over $1000 of fish in there too. Although I have no concern about my fish infecting my corals I would NEVER introduce a new fish to the DT without TTM. I used to, but eventually got caught and lost 9 fish to Ick. Get in the habit of TTM and don't look back.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 8 ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Reef Octopus CaRx

Current Tank Info: Exquis. Firefish, Carpenter, Red Head, Yellow/Purple, Hoevans, Possum Wrasses, Kole, Purple & Atlantic Blue Tangs, Matted Filefish, 2 Percula Clown, 4 PJ Cardinals, Swallowtail Angel
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2018, 03:17 PM   #12
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:

Ich - none,
Velvet - none
Brooklynella - none
flukes - none

Kevin
+1 I would stop purchasing fish from that store if I were you. Take it from me, I have had 2 tank crashes in 20 years in the hobby due to disease and it cost me 10K in Fish... it’s just really not worth it

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2018, 04:11 PM   #13
mynorrodas
Registered Member

Mmmmmm is up to you to quarentineing tank, Iīve never do that with my fish because I dont have another tank, but I think it is a good option to prevent diseases like velvet.

mynorrodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2018, 07:04 PM   #14
Icewing726
Registered Member

72 days fallow isn't what research showed. They showed that ichs life cycle takes that long at 50 something degrees. Besides whens the last time you've heard of ich killing a reef? Ive had ich outbreaks before and survived them without meds and no fish losses. Anyway flame away.

Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2018, 06:01 AM   #15
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewing726 View Post
72 days fallow isn't what research showed. They showed that ichs life cycle takes that long at 50 something degrees. Besides whens the last time you've heard of ich killing a reef? Ive had ich outbreaks before and survived them without meds and no fish losses. Anyway flame away.
That is the longest it has taken in a research setting. There are plenty of other accounts of it lasting 90+ days in a reef tank. Newbies worry about ich because that is all they really know about when just coming into the hobby. QT is for things like brook and velvet that have wiped out countless reef tanks

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2018, 07:20 AM   #16
nereefpat
Registered Member

That was a strange comment from the LFS, for sure.

Keep in mind that, for a LFS, qt isn't really "their bag." It's completely up to the hobbyist to do that.

I wouldn't hesitate to take home a fish from anywhere, as long as the fish looks and acts healthy. However, knowing what I know now, no fish will go in my display without at least going through TTM and prazi.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2018, 04:23 PM   #17
marinelife
Registered Member

I would love to QT new fish, corals, etc. I just do not have room so I take the risk. I have not really had too many issues other than when I was trying to get a pair of Emperors. I think it was from the tank's temperature changes that cause several to die because as soon as I fixed the temp swing I got them to live. The other fish had no issues during this time.

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2018, 05:32 AM   #18
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Crypto can indeed kill fish.

Saying it can’t or won’t is like saying no one ever dies from influenza. It’s not only factually untrue, it’s ignorant. Whether that’s purposeful or not I’m really not sure.

Research says fish can become immune
Research says that a healthy fish’s immune system can fight it off.
Research and common sense also says that if the colony count is higher than the animals immune system can handle, then complications will arise just like any other disease.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2018, 07:24 AM   #19
Icewing726
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
Crypto can indeed kill fish.

Saying it canít or wonít is like saying no one ever dies from influenza. Itís not only factually untrue, itís ignorant. Whether thatís purposeful or not Iím really not sure.

Research says fish can become immune
Research says that a healthy fishís immune system can fight it off.
Research and common sense also says that if the colony count is higher than the animals immune system can handle, then complications will arise just like any other disease.
Thanks for the flame but I didn't say it can't kill fish. I said ich isnt some super bug destroying entire reefs. Or to put it in your terms, the flu doesn't kill entire cities.

My point was everyone throws around this 72 day number and I truly wonder how many have seen the source documents. Ich isn't the worst thing to encounter in this hobby.

Old 06/06/2018, 08:45 AM   #20
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Thanks for the flame but I didn't say it can't kill fish. I said ich isnt some super bug destroying entire reefs. Or to put it in your terms, the flu doesn't kill entire cities.

My point was everyone throws around this 72 day number and I truly wonder how many have seen the source documents. Ich isn't the worst thing to encounter in this hobby.
might want to double check your flu analogy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

plenty of other examples of how deadly "common" infections can be when incorrectly managed.

Bent isn't flaming. he's 100% correct.

as for the source documents, they're out there. simple google search will turn them right up.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2018, 10:14 AM   #21
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Besides whens the last time you've heard of ich killing a reef? .
Maybe in post #11 of this very thread, where I stated I lost 9 fish to Ick? Just saying.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 8 ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Reef Octopus CaRx

Current Tank Info: Exquis. Firefish, Carpenter, Red Head, Yellow/Purple, Hoevans, Possum Wrasses, Kole, Purple & Atlantic Blue Tangs, Matted Filefish, 2 Percula Clown, 4 PJ Cardinals, Swallowtail Angel
Old 06/06/2018, 10:16 AM   #22
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the flame but I didn't say it can't kill fish.
No you didn't say it directly but "Besides whens the last time you've heard of ich killing a reef?" pretty much infers that.

Old 06/06/2018, 10:54 AM   #23
Icewing726
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
No you didn't say it directly but "Besides whens the last time you've heard of ich killing a reef?" pretty much infers that.
How does that infer it doesn't kill fish??!? You're deliberately mischaracterizing my post for some reason, that or you're reading comprehension skills are lacking.

Old 06/06/2018, 11:30 AM   #24
tjm9331
Registered Member

I think when Ice says reef he means coral

Quote:
Ich isn't the worst thing to encounter in this hobby.
You're right Ich isn't the worst thing we can encounter in this hobby but I would say it is the most common problem aside from algae and on most new reefers minds.

I've had an ich outbreak before from just adding fish to my DT, I let my tank go fallow for 72 days, could I have gone shorter? maybe. but I decided to err on the side of caution and go the longest the research has shown ich can survive

I now make sure to put every newcomer through TTM with prazi and, knock on wood, I haven't had an issue since.

Last edited by tjm9331; 06/06/2018 at 11:36 AM.
tjm9331 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2018, 07:06 AM   #25
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:

Sir or ma’am, the following statement implies that crypto is not dangerous.

Quote:
Ive had ich outbreaks before and survived them without meds and no fish losses.
And yes as mentioned, influenza not properly managed can and has become a dangerous pandemic as well as other seemingly benign diseases that people have become complacent about.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump

Last edited by Bent; 06/07/2018 at 07:12 AM.
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown fish, quarantine