Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/22/2015, 09:34 AM   #1
WhiteTang
Registered Member

Rust color algae on sand bed

Hi everybody!

I have a 16g nano that has been up and running for a little over a year!
By now my tank is supposed to be matured. I have been keeping up with my water changes every week with a 15% water change.
All params are in check and everything has been running smoothly.

BUT a few weeks ago I noticed something weird. A rust coloured algae covering my otherwise pristine white sugar sand substrate. This phenomena would occur when the lights go on and disappear when the lights went of. I am running a 7 hour day cycle with top intensity around 14.00 (not maxing out the LED thought).

I suspect that this is cyanobacteria but I think it is weird that I have em because at the moment I do not have any fish in the tank. Only corals, a cleaner shrimp, 2 sexy shrimp and a snail.

I feed ultra lightly. Spot feeding corals a couple times a weeks and throwing in a tiny tiny pinch of flake food once a day.

What could be wrong? Any thoughts?

I have siphoned out the top layer of my sand today. If it is indeed algae, that has taken up any phosphates and/or silicates they will be discarded and not leach back into the tank once the lights are off.

WhiteTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2015, 11:24 AM   #2
cloak
Moved On

A rust colored algae sounds more like Diatoms to me. (picture?) I'm assuming you are using RO/DI water? Maybe it's time to replace your filters.

FWIW, my tank is a little over 6 years old and every now & then I'll experience this same problem. As soon as the lights come on in the morning the sand is nice & white, but as time passes by it takes on sort of a rust colored look. I do use tap water though, so...

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2018, 12:51 PM   #3
tjmcmanus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTang View Post
Hi everybody!

I have a 16g nano that has been up and running for a little over a year!

By now my tank is supposed to be matured. I have been keeping up with my water changes every week with a 15% water change.

All params are in check and everything has been running smoothly.

BUT a few weeks ago I noticed something weird. A rust coloured algae covering my otherwise pristine white sugar sand substrate. This phenomena would occur when the lights go on and disappear when the lights went of. I am running a 7 hour day cycle with top intensity around 14.00 (not maxing out the LED thought).

I suspect that this is cyanobacteria but I think it is weird that I have em because at the moment I do not have any fish in the tank. Only corals, a cleaner shrimp, 2 sexy shrimp and a snail.

I feed ultra lightly. Spot feeding corals a couple times a weeks and throwing in a tiny tiny pinch of flake food once a day.

What could be wrong? Any thoughts?

I have siphoned out the top layer of my sand today. If it is indeed algae, that has taken up any phosphates and/or silicates they will be discarded and not leach back into the tank once the lights are off.

Did you ever figure this out? I have a similar situation. Rust colored algae that looks like diatoms but can get hairy. No bubbles.

It is only in the lit parts of the tank and doesnít appear to grow on coralline algae. In the shade they is no issues with the rust colored stuff. It looks like some sprinkled GFO around my tank. It seems to thicken over time the get a little hairy.

I have run a tds meter in my ATO. 000, so itís not that. Nitrates are 2ppm. Running GFO and chemipure elite . Rust concentrates on the substrate but is crawling up the rocks.

I had a torch and a hammer die of a brown hunk. Wondering if this is a continuation. Snails and hermits live just fine. Donít think is Dinoís.

Tank has been operational since Aug 2017, thin layer of substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjmcmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2018, 05:36 AM   #4
Seasidenj
Registered Member

Might be time to replace your bulbs in your lighting.

Seasidenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2018, 12:27 AM   #5
Percula9
Registered Member

I would stop feeding the corals and do some water changes.Hopefully it will disappear.Do you have a protein skimmer?

Percula9 is offline   Reply With Quote