Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12/01/2017, 11:13 AM   #126
eonflux123
Registered Member

Awesome ideas for under tank lighting! I did that same thing with my old lights too, total blindness... Any updates?

Also how'd the rock work foundation turn out!? I've always wanted something like this but wasn't that creative!

eonflux123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2017, 10:26 PM   #127
Linkfalcon
Registered Member

Look good if u need a hand I’m in nova

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linkfalcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2017, 10:20 AM   #128
Shown_nuff
Registered Member

Hey... I am back on here after a while. If you ever need some help let me know. I will be glad to come and help.

Shown_nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2017, 10:37 AM   #129
nightOwl
Premium Member

eonflux123 - Sorry I have been busy lately so I have not really made and progress with the tank. I am so behind. My target date of making Thanksgiving failed miserably! My family (20+) was happy to see all the progress at Thanksgiving with the room but seemed mystified that there were no fish or water in the main tank. My niece was like " Uncle what is the purpose of the empty tank with water in it and no pretty fish?" non hobby people do not understand...lol. I told here the frag tank will have frags in it after I cycle the tank...lol. To which she said " Your bicycle is in the garage and I am not sure how it will fit in there!". I just smiled and laughed and her face was like I am serious...lol.

My rock foundation is not turning out how I would have liked it too and the epoxy I brought was really expensive so I am going to have to make the best of it. My design and impatience got the best of me. The blinder is in the garage under some other projects I am working on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux123 View Post
Awesome ideas for under tank lighting! I did that same thing with my old lights too, total blindness... Any updates?

Also how'd the rock work foundation turn out!? I've always wanted something like this but wasn't that creative!

Linkfalcon - Thanks for the offer of help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkfalcon View Post
Look good if u need a hand I’m in nova

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shown_nuff - Welcome back. Thanks for the offer to help as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shown_nuff View Post
Hey... I am back on here after a while. If you ever need some help let me know. I will be glad to come and help.

I will try to get around to updating this week. I have been really slacking as this time of the year is filled with family gatherings and the Honey-Do list seems to go non stop. I have been working on tank stuff indirectly. I have been building cabinets for my walk up bar. I need to run some tests on the rock that has been in the trashcans. I will at least do that this week. I might even finish or start over on my rock base. I also need to order some components for the frag tank like a new skimmer and some more Apex modules...I'm so behind .

Old 12/06/2017, 08:30 PM   #130
nightOwl
Premium Member

General Updates

12/05/2017 - Failed Rock Stand
Well not too much to update really. After looking closely at my rock stand I think I am going to start over. It did not meet my creative standards. It was more error than trial...lol. It took a little bit of practice to get use to how the sand and epoxy would need to be mixed. Some spots are shiny and some are OK but the coverage on the sides is using too much epoxy with the approach I used.

Inconsistent Coverage
IMG_9813 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Inconsistent Coverage
IMG_9821 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Inconsistent Coverage
IMG_9823 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

12/05/2017 - Brown Film in Salt Water Container

I was using the cheap IO salt for cycling the rock and my frag tank and making batches in my new salt water station. I had forgotten that IO had the brown film issue. I am not sure if its the way I am mixing the water or if its the container but I will get to the bottom of it. I think it may be that I am using a heater in the container or mixing for days at a time.

Brown Film Floating
IMG_9818 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Film on the Sides
IMG_9819 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

12/05/2017 - Cycling of Rock and Frag Tank Updates

So the rock in the garage I think is pretty much done. I have not be changing the water or anything on a regular basis. I did some water tests and here are the parameters
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Phosphate - .30 ppm
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrate - .05 ppm
I added a Two Little Fishes Phosband 150 reactor to one of the containers and will check tomorrow and see if it has removed any phosphate. Normally it does a good job of removing phosphates fast. Next week I will do a big water change throw in a half of shrimp in each container and let it go through the process again to help build up the bacteria colonies.

The frag tank I am pretty sure is cycled as well. When I perform water changes in my temp frag tank I have been throwing any little critters I find in the filter sock into the new frag tank. This week I noticed that a tiny brittle star fish and some amphipods were still alive. A good sign that I need to get into a regular routine again. I added a temp Bubble Magnus skimmer to the tank and it has been pulling out some grey stuff. I suspect its related to the products I used to cycle the tank.

Old 12/06/2017, 09:01 PM   #131
Rjvb87
Registered Member

Can you please tell me where all your stuff came from for your “blinder light”. I love yours and would love to make one for under my 200 gallon tank

Thanks, and your build is INSANE

Rjvb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2017, 11:48 PM   #132
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Looking good, great build here. I will be following along. I had the same issue with IO and RC salt after the new labels and formula change happened a while back. Did not use it after that.

DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 08:41 AM   #133
nightOwl
Premium Member

Rjvb87 - Thanks for the kind words. I am so behind but hopefully will get back on track. I am person that loves to tinker and occasional fall into the deep hole of E.b.a.y. Can I say that? I will pm the info on each item but basically its three parts you have to by.
  1. The individual LEDs
  2. The Base Plate (mine holds 14) - I also have one that does 7
  3. The Ballast

You will have to solder the LED's to the board and I found a good set of fine tips help along with a good soldering iron. You will also need to an old end of cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjvb87 View Post
Can you please tell me where all your stuff came from for your “blinder light”. I love yours and would love to make one for under my 200 gallon tank

Thanks, and your build is INSANE

DesertReefT4r - Thanks for the kind words. I am coming along slowly . Glad to have you aboard. I am done with it as soon as I run out of it. I use to use Reef Crystals and did not have any issues but then again like I said I have never mixed up 60 gallons in one pop. Hopefully my new Fritz salt will not have the same issue once the main is up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r View Post
Looking good, great build here. I will be following along. I had the same issue with IO and RC salt after the new labels and formula change happened a while back. Did not use it after that.

Old 12/09/2017, 12:25 AM   #134
nightOwl
Premium Member

General Updates
12/07/2017 - Main Tank Updates

I have made some prototypes for supporting the main tank return lines. I may make some adjustments once I have water actually running in the main tank based on any vibrations. They were pretty easy to make too. I used my contour gauge to get a profile and then some of my never ending supply of PVC scrap deck boards. The end result turned out pretty good. I also finished some of the plumbing from the return pump. I had been waiting for some more Cepex 1" ball values (they seem to stay on back order) to arrive and I am finally getting back to doing some plumbing.

Since I plan on having a various wrasses in the main tank I went ahead and ordered some netting for keeping the wrasses from jumping out. I will be making a few removable covers that will be supported by some acrylic lips I plan on building that will attach to the lip of euro-brace. My netting came in so this is one more project in the queue.

Once I finally get water in the tank I will be using a combination of different approaches to help cycle the tank faster. My goal will be to introduce a variety of bacteria into the tank and then the strongest strands will prevail. I will use Seachem Stability, Micro Bacteria 7, and my latest purchase my old faithful a bag of live sand.

Pipe Supports
IMG_9835 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Contour Tool
IMG_9837 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Pipe Supports in Action
IMG_9838 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Netting
IMG_9846 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Live Sand
IMG_9848 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr
12/08/2017 - Base Cabinet Updates - WIP

I have to work on the spacing but this is how the base cabinets for the walk-up will look. I still need to work on the drawer fronts and the doors but I am very happy the way things are turning out. A few things I am seeing is the floor is super un-level (I knew this) and my walls are not square..lol. Hopefully I will be able to "fix" this when the counter is installed. I still have to work on my wall cabinets but I have been thinking about having doors that have frosted or smoke glass wall cabinet doors. So far my adventure into cabinet making is very fun. I has allowed me to by several new tools (new table saw, new router and router table), various new clamps, a pin nailer, and various router bits.

24" Base Cabinet, 30" Sink Base Cabinet, and 18" Base Cabinet
IMG_9825 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Drawer on 24" Base Cabinet
IMG_9826 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Drawer on 18" Base Cabinet
IMG_9827 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Testing the Alignment of 24" Base Cabinet and 30" Base Cabinet
IMG_9828 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

18" Base Cabinet
IMG_9829 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

12/09/2017 - Cycling of Rock and Frag Tank Updates
The Phosband is really doing the trick. The pump I was using to run the Two Little Fishes reactor died so I had to replace it. I think the the levels should be lower but I will check in a day or so now that I have replaced the pump. I noticed weird sound the other day but paid not attention to it. My guess is old pump has not been working for for a few days. Sunday I will throw in the shrimp and let it go a week and see where things are. The latest levels in trashcan 1 is listed below:
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Phosphate - .08 ppm
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrate - .02 ppm