Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/26/2016, 12:27 PM   #176
homer1475
Registered Member

The return is a little loud, but the skimmer is pretty quiet. Plugged into the silencer, it does make a slight sucking sound, but I have mine on an airline that goes outside so I can't hear it, and for a more stable PH.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2016, 04:42 AM   #177
homer1475
Registered Member

Nothing new to report, but do have some hair algae starting in spots. Going to keep vigorously running GFO. I do need another reactor as the BRS mini isn't long enough to just run GFO.

Dropping of the biocube tomorrow to it's new owner, going to check out all the nice shops out in Rochester, who knows might come home with something different.

I do need a couple new PH's. The mp10's do great work and stay stuck to the glass at 100%, but the korralia nanos are complete junk for a tank this size. So I think I'm going to pickup a couple jebao pp8's. Should be able to get some nice chaotic flow going!

Also the stock return SCA ships with their PNP systems is total junk! Loud, large, and doesn't push anywhere near its advertised GPH. Was looking into the vectra, but I just can't justify the price. While I'm sure ecotech has a solid product(my mp10's are rock solid), their price is a little to be desired. Anyways, I like the idea of DC pumps, so after tossing it back and forth with Soulpatch, I think I'm looking into the waveline DC pumps that are fully apex compatible, and still not extremely expensive.

Old 04/29/2016, 07:00 AM   #178
soulpatch
Registered Member

I think you will be impressed with the wavelines. BRS recommended them to me before I got a great deal on the SP6 I am using via a black friday deal. I might stil go with one and flip my SP6 to the water station for the 75 gallon tank and to push water back and forth across a room. I have a SP2 in there now which is ok but slow to move a ton of water

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2016, 07:14 AM   #179
homer1475
Registered Member

Yeah I really like the reviews on the fluval sp line, but even their smallest pump is too wide to fit in my sump.

Question.....

Is there a way to add a siphon break to my returns without moving the nozzles above the water line when they drain down?

I had a small flood last night when I cut the pumps and the returns kept slowly draining into the sump. Never noticed it until last night when the return was off for an extended period of time.

Old 04/29/2016, 07:17 AM   #180
ReefWreak
Registered Member

You can drill a small hole in the plumbing behind the 90 degree right before the nozzle output, and make the hole face the back/rear glass. You'll lose a tiny bit of flow, but it's an easy siphon break. Hopefully that makes sense.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2016, 07:19 AM   #181
soulpatch
Registered Member

You could tap a small hole in the bottom of the loc line to act as the air break when the water level drops. Or you could tap an airline with a check valve into the top.

I have wide heads on mine and they are along the top of the water but aimed down. They suckk in air as the water passes the bottom of the weir so I drain perhaps 10 gallons into my sump when power cuts

Old 04/29/2016, 07:21 AM   #182
homer1475
Registered Member

Thats what I was thinking, just drilling a small hole in the bottom of the T just before the return nozzles. I just wasn't sure if there was a way of doing it so water didn't spit out the hole. At least in the overflow it will only spit down into the overflow.

Old 04/29/2016, 07:25 AM   #183
homer1475
Registered Member

A small hole in the locline might be better. When the water drains down there is a small portion left above the water line. A small hole in that area is what I'll do.

I can't imagine it needs to be too big, maybe the size of a large paperclip? 1/32"?

Old 04/29/2016, 07:25 AM   #184
soulpatch
Registered Member

Other option a lot of people do is run a dual nozzle on one or both sides. You can have one down low and the other on each side along the surface. So you get a break easily without having to worry about any buildup on the hole you drill

Old 04/29/2016, 07:33 AM   #185
homer1475
Registered Member

I'm not super worried about it. It only seems to be an issue when the return is off for more then an hour(they seem to drain very very slowly once the large section of locline is above the water level). So I think just a small hole on both loclies is all thats needed.

Thanks again guys! Sometimes I think I just overthink things and never think the obvious, and easy is all thats needed.

Old 05/01/2016, 04:58 AM   #186
homer1475
Registered Member

Took the biocube out for a delivery yesterday to it's new owners in Rochester. MatAndPatti are great people and even though we didn't get much time to talk(they were busy at work), I hope they enjoy the new cube, and I do expect to see a new build thread for it.

While I was out there we stopped by their three premier shops, HOC(House Of Coals), The Reef Shoppe, and Caribbean Forest. All great shops with very friendly staff that seemed very knowledgeable to me. Unfortunately, I didn't buy anything as I really wanted to use the money from the biocube to get some better equipment before I start buying more coral, I will most certainly be going back out there for some coral in the near future though.

I ended up buying a pair of Jebao pp8's with the apex box, A waveline dc 2500 return pump, and a dual reactor from spectrapure. I really like the design of the dual reactor from spectrapure. It has separate dual shutoffs to control the flow going to both chambers(unlike the BRS dual that only has one shutoff), the carbon reactor is already plumbed in reverse so your not tumbling the carbon, and they are plenty tall enough to tumble the GFO.

On a side note, I'm heading to PA for a night to visit some friends in Gettysburg, and am going to stop at That fish place, that pet place as I believe its right down the road from where my motel is(Lancaster, my wife loves the Amish country). I want to ping Soul and see where his favorite LFS is and if he'll be around on Monday for a stop through.

Old 05/01/2016, 07:32 AM   #187
Crush Coral
Registered Member

Enjoyed Redington through your thread this morning.

Crush Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2016, 08:54 PM   #188
Blink2824
Registered Member

Looking great homer!!! Enjoying following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blink2824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2016, 12:40 AM   #189
homer1475
Registered Member

Thanks Guys!

Always nice to get approval from your peers.

After mulling it over and looking at prices for loc line products, I just ordered in a couple Y's and flare nozzles. I didn't like the idea of drilling a hole in the loc line for a siphon break, so going to go the dual return route. I will split both returns so one of them is at the water line, and the other is still pushing in the back corners to avoid dead spots. With the new DC pump coming in, I can always turn it up a bit if ghe flow is too low.

My chaeto is now dead!! The entire wad ended up turning grey and mushy. No idea why this happened, but I'll get another wad of it and throw one of the extra korralia nano's I have in the sump to see if that is truly the issue. I should have plenty of nutrients to feed it(the algae in the display says I do), and the 165k CFL bulb is what everyone else is using. So other then it not "tumbling" as Soulpatch suggested, I have no idea why it died.

Old 05/02/2016, 08:36 PM   #190
MatAndPatti
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Took the biocube out for a delivery yesterday to it's new owners in Rochester. MatAndPatti are great people and even though we didn't get much time to talk(they were busy at work), I hope they enjoy the new cube, and I do expect to see a new build thread for it.
Was great to meet you and your wife! Thanks again for bringing the biocube out, can't wait to get it set up!! I'll definitely try to follow in your footsteps with a build thread. You set the bar pretty high with your threads and I've learned a lot from them!

Current Tank: 40BR Going Slow and Steady... BC29 cycling.
MatAndPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/03/2016, 07:31 PM   #191
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatAndPatti View Post
Was great to meet you and your wife! Thanks again for bringing the biocube out, can't wait to get it set up!! I'll definitely try to follow in your footsteps with a build thread. You set the bar pretty high with your threads and I've learned a lot from them!
Also very nice meeting you guys!!

Having a build threads sometimes helps yourself too! When you get people following them, and you write your ideas or problems down, you get answers. I know I tend to over think things sometimes. Writing the idea out here and getting peer advice, I often realize the original "easy" idea was the best in the first place. Their also great for helping others, and nice to look back on and realize just how much stuff has changed or grown.

Just got home from visiting friends in PA(I hate driving down there. They say NY drivers are bad? They obviously never drove in PA ), Soul wasn't going to be home, and his LFS was closed on monday, so didn't do any of that. But I did stop by That Fish Place as planned. Staff was very knowledgeable and nice. The woman who was helping me even quizzed me a bit when I decided on buying a nice gold maxima clam. They didn't have a whole lot, she explained that Tuesday is a bad day for visiting, as they are usually wiped out from the weekend, and all their weekend orders go out Monday morning before they open for the day.

I did see quite a few new fish I have never seen before, their coral selection was a little less to be desired(most stuff looked dead or dying), but all the other livestock looked happy and healthy. One thing that surprised me was their fish setup. Several acrylic tanks sectioned off, sitting on large tubs(like small square 3x3x3 plastic shipping containers) filled with bioballs, and all interconnected. While the setup itself didn't surprise me, it was the use of millions of bioballs that did. I was thinking that in this day and age and what we know about bioballs, that they didn't use a different media. Besides, how on earth do they clean them out, with the tanks setting directly on top of them?

Anyways.....

Clam survived the 9 hour trip home(wife wanted to make a few stops before we left), no worse for the wear. I did remember to ask what the salinity of their holding tank was(1.025), so a simple 10 minute temp acclimate, then dump right in. He was fully open within 5 minutes of putting him on the sand. I did buy a bottle of live phytoplankton, so I'll try and feed it tomorrow, as its still real small and was told they should be supplemented with plankton until they are at least 2" in length. I'll snap a couple pics tomorrow when the lights are on.

Last edited by homer1475; 05/03/2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05/03/2016, 07:59 PM   #192
ReefWreak
Registered Member

oOo excited to see pics. Sorry they didn't have too much, but a gold maxima isn't a bad haul. I still haven't done phyto at all with my clams, but that's smart of you to try to keep it healthy with that. There are a few neat ways of feeding it too if you want any advice or recommendations.

Good luck!

Old 05/04/2016, 05:31 AM   #193
homer1475
Registered Member

Been doing some research this morning on how to feed them, but any and all help is appreciated.

Very small..

Lights are just starting to come on, and are quite blue.

Old 05/04/2016, 07:37 AM   #194
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Looks good so far, he's opening nicely. Looks healthy, no pinched mantle. Did you check his opening for byssal threads and/or pyramid snails? I'm sure he'll be fine, but just some things worth considering.

It may not attach down because of the sand, mine don't. They're held in place by hopes and dreams, and sometimes move themselves around the tank. I wish I had more room, they're growing a lot.

Also, just a heads up, but be prepared to start dosing more calcium and alkalinity, clams are heavy users of it. Check for growth every few months by looking under the mantle for new pearly white scutes.

If you want to feed phyto, you can make a feeder with an upside down plastic container with a hole punched in the top (ideally clear so it doesn't disturb the clam as much and make it close up). You can use a dropper or coral feeding thing to squirt phyto in the chamber you just created, and the clam may filter some of it out.

Whatever you do, don't watch videos on feeding clams. I did that, and all I got to see was some idjit squirting a big squirt of thawed mysis into his clam's face. They don't eat mysis, and you can actually harm them if particles get stuck in them.

Also, keep hosting fishes away if possible (clowns, gobys, etc), as sometimes they can get stuck in the clam if it closes on them. It happens sometimes with bigger fishes as well, usually resulting in the death of both. It's very rare though.

I love clams, and read a lot about them, even have some clam-specific books. Hopefully your guy does great. Gotta get some top-down shots of it!

Old 05/04/2016, 08:07 AM   #195
homer1475
Registered Member

I did know about the pests related related to them and checked it out real well before I purchased it. He does have a very small scallop growing on one of its scutes, so that's a bonus. I was wondering about how to feed it though, whether I just squirt the phyto directly on it, or some other method? I do use phyto now to feed my current filter feeders, but I just squirt it in the tank and let the PH's stir it around. will try the bottle method if it looks to be declining.

Old 05/04/2016, 08:10 AM   #196
homer1475
Registered Member

Stupid Tapatalk doesn't let you edit a post!

Anyways, thanks for the info! I will keep an eye on my alk and Calk as I have been with the new tank. Right now Kalk in the topoff with weekly water changes are keeping it line.

Old 05/04/2016, 12:31 PM   #197
homer1475
Registered Member

Did a WC today and some maintenance, so I thought I would snap a couple top down shots.

Old 05/04/2016, 01:04 PM   #198
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Very nice. Looks like a few current or past bleaching spots, but nothing to be worried about, the clams usually get them after moving to new tanks, and they go away (the circles on the mantle, towards the inside, that might be a white patch to the eye, or just don't fit the pattern). Looking good man!

Old 05/04/2016, 01:16 PM   #199
homer1475
Registered Member

Its sand actually. I had just stirred up the tank and he had a few sand grains in his "mouth?".

Old 05/04/2016, 01:18 PM   #200
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I see the sand. I meant the two round color spots on the middle mantle. One right in the middle vertically and horizontally, and the other towards the bottom vertically and in the middle horizontally.

If its colored now, then they're old wounds and it's now happy as a clam