Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 07/16/2017, 10:50 AM   #1
Devaji108
Registered Member
 
Devaji108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jackson Hole Wy
Posts: 3,563
SH thank size thread...

I need help Help in choosing a tank size...

so let's start a discussion. I know 30 gal for 1st pair 15 each pair after is standard practice ...
I have been wanting Sh for many years and for some reason I have not? I worked a few extra shifts with the intention of doing something nice for myself...so why not another tank..haha after all I only have 2 it's not like I have a problem or anything...

if you where going to start a SH tank what size would you go with and why? I know it depends on how many I want to keep...min. one pair more like 2. of course they will be CB from Dan.

I have an 75 48x18x24 in storage 4 hrs away I am a renter and think that just to much for another tank. I have a 90- 36x24x24 up and running. that would be a nice size lol
the area i have for it is 36" length max. also would like this tank to be movable by myself so at least easy if I ask for help. that 12mm glass 90 dang thing is sooo heavy.

here are the options I have come up with so far..

the cheapest I have a cpl extra 40br around really like the foot print would love to do a 40/40 DT/sump. 65ish gal volume but would the 18" in height be a problem? I would really like to put these to good use than could spend the $ on a oversized skimmer, chiller for the 3 moths i need it ;/ LR gorgs. and SH. this seams to be the most the best option.

the cube another option is I found (4.5 hr drive each way ) a 60 24x24x24 but in reading that not much surface area for gas exchange dont want GBD. + the drive and time...

the simple a 29H from petco $1 per gallon sale no sump with HOB Simmer and ac70

long and narrow a 55 gal form petco for some reason I really got care for the foot print of the 55 so dont I will go this way. but its an option.

the column buy a new 56 gal column 30x18x24 that such a odd size not sire I will like it. to bad the closes petco is 100 miles each way would be nice to see it in person.

the splurge this option would be a splurge but get a 50 gal 24x 24x20 gal starfire rimless cube PNP system form SCA to match my 90. comes with tank sump skimmer return pump and plumbing. around $700 tho... dont have to leave home for this one...

AIO IM nuvo 40 gal 24 x 20 19 $350 just for the tank tho. them skimmer not sure even if you can get an over size skimmer for it or do the ATS or keep 2 pair in there prob. could do 3?

the bow front a 36 or 46 gal bow front. not to sure I like this unless I can find a good cheap one with a stand. how is cleaning water flow etc? but added it to the list anyway...

the wait and see just wait a cruse the classifieds and sale threads and see what pop up.
might find a good deal.


so lets open up a Sh tank size thread and see where is goes, hopefully ppl will chime in and we can get a robust thread going.

tell me why you like your size pros and cons.
also if there is anything I am not thinking about I am all ears. ~ I did not add the 29 gal bio cube as I really dont think that there all that good and not good for sh IMHO .

so lets hear your thoughts
I will most likely do redi or erectus...


Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2017, 01:47 PM   #2
rayjay
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaji108 View Post
I know 30 gal for 1st pair 15 each pair after is standard practice ...
As for the 30/15 rule, I believe Dan is currently advising his clients to go 30g for EACH and EVERY pair of seahorses.
Quote:
If you were going to start a SH tank what size would you go with and why? I know it depends on how many I want to keep...min. one pair more like 2. of course they will be CB from Dan.
I would go with minimum 60g for two pair, with the largest sump I could fit in.
Quote:
the cheapest I have a cpl extra 40br around really like the foot print would love to do a 40/40 DT/sump. 65ish gal volume but would the 18" in height be a problem? I would really like to put these to good use than could spend the $ on a oversized skimmer, chiller for the 3 months i need it ;/ LR gorgs. and SH. this seems to be the most the best option.
Height isn't important unless you just want to make it easier for egg transfers, but usually they will find a way to accomplish it anyway. I wouldn't go too crazy for a deep substrate though.
I don't use chillers other than a small used ($50) area AC unit for the abs (cheaper than a chiller for a 90g), but use the whole house AC to keep the temp at 22C/72F and the tanks don't need a chiller for that as they don't get above 74F. Works fine for me because I can't stand it over 22C.
Quote:
the cube another option is I found (4.5 hr drive each way ) a 60 24x24x24 but in reading that not much surface area for gas exchange don't want GBD. + the drive and time...
IMO, GBD is more a result of deteriorating water conditions. I've seen many with these cubes working successful but no personal experience.
For tanks with smaller surface area, just increase the turmoil at the surface and it will accomplish the same thing.
Quote:
the simple a 29H from petco $1 per gallon sale no sump with HOB Simmer and ac70
I'm still partial to sumps myself. Also, only good for one pair.
Quote:
long and narrow a 55 gal form petco for some reason I really got care for the foot print of the 55 so dont I will go this way. but its an option.
No comment other than some 55s have a different footprint, shorter and deeper.
Quote:
the column buy a new 56 gal column 30x18x24 that such a odd size not sure I will like it. too bad the closest petco is 100 miles each way would be nice to see it in person.
I have no comment on this other than it will squeak two pairs.
Quote:
the splurge this option would be a splurge but get a 50 gal 24x 24x20 gal starfire rimless cube PNP system form SCA to match my 90. comes with tank sump skimmer return pump and plumbing. around $700 tho... dont have to leave home for this one...
I'm just not a fan of PnP systems, especially as the skimmer IMO is useless for seahorse tanks. Also, I'm too cheap to spend for a complete system when I can buy a standard and set it up myself MUCH cheaper.
Quote:
AIO IM nuvo 40 gal 24 x 20 19 $350 just for the tank tho. them skimmer not sure even if you can get an over size skimmer for it or do the ATS or keep 2 pair in there prob. could do 3?
I'd not put in more than one pair in that tank. I have four 40gT with 20g sumps and even that was more difficult with two pair, so now back to one pair each tank.
Quote:
the bow front a 36 or 46 gal bow front. not to sure I like this unless I can find a good cheap one with a stand. how is cleaning water flow etc? but added it to the list anyway...
No experience with a bow.
Quote:
the wait and see just wait and cruise the classifieds and sale threads and see what pops up.
might find a good deal.
and might not


__________________
Seahorses. Culture nanno, rotifers and brine shrimp.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2017, 07:31 PM   #3
vlangel
Registered Member
 
vlangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,020
I had a pair of ponies in a 36 bowfront tank. I loved the looks and dimensions for aquascaping but I hated scrubbing the bowed glass. Metal scrapers don't work near as well on a bowfront tank as flat glass. It was not a problem with marine fish but the bioload of seahorses was a game changer. For that reason and I wanted more than 2 seahorses I upgraded to the 56 column which I love. It houses 4 seahorses but I have an oversized skimmer and a 20 gallon sump.


vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2017, 12:11 AM   #4
nutbar29
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 78
I have 3 erectus in a 75g they have been in that tank for about 2yrs. I just setup there new tank this weekend that was custom made 2'x2'x3' tall just for them. I will be getting 3 more seahorses later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


nutbar29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2017, 01:47 AM   #5
Devaji108
Registered Member
 
Devaji108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jackson Hole Wy
Posts: 3,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
As for the 30/15 rule, I believe Dan is currently advising his clients to go 30g for EACH and EVERY pair of seahorses.

I would go with minimum 60g for two pair, with the largest sump I could fit in.

yeah I am leaning towards the 60 cube...normally i dont cafe for cubes but if I get it I would have 2 haha. I will also price out a 65 as a possibility.
but no LFS anywhere near me..


Height isn't important unless you just want to make it easier for egg transfers, but usually they will find a way to accomplish it anyway. I wouldn't go too crazy for a deep substrate though.
I don't use chillers other than a small used ($50) area AC unit for the abs (cheaper than a chiller for a 90g), but use the whole house AC to keep the temp at 22C/72F and the tanks don't need a chiller for that as they don't get above 74F. Works fine for me because I can't stand it over 22C.

so a 40/40 system would still work still be about 65 gal. just different foot print. oh and no AC here I will set up tank durning cycle and use a fan if needed by the time the tank will be ready for SH summer will be over anyway the hot part is only 6-8 weeks anyway...

IMO, GBD is more a result of deteriorating water conditions. I've seen many with these cubes working successful but no personal experience.
For tanks with smaller surface area, just increase the turmoil at the surface and it will accomplish the same thing.

yup that is what I hear now too

I'm still partial to sumps myself. Also, only good for one pair.

yeah I think sumps are almost a must for SH we need good skimmers and I dont think we can get the performance out of AIO smaller skimmers. maybe a big HOB one tho??

No comment other than some 55s have a different footprint, shorter and deeper.

I was thinking what petco can offer.
I have no comment on this other than it will squeak two pairs.

I'm just not a fan of PnP systems, especially as the skimmer IMO is useless for seahorse tanks. Also, I'm too cheap to spend for a complete system when I can buy a standard and set it up myself MUCH cheaper.

yeah only way I would do that is if I got a killer deal.

I'd not put in more than one pair in that tank. I have four 40gT with 20g sumps and even that was more difficult with two pair, so now back to one pair each tank.

No experience with a bow.

and might not



Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2017, 01:55 AM   #6
Devaji108
Registered Member
 
Devaji108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jackson Hole Wy
Posts: 3,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
I had a pair of ponies in a 36 bowfront tank. I loved the looks and dimensions for aquascaping but I hated scrubbing the bowed glass. Metal scrapers don't work near as well on a bowfront tank as flat glass. It was not a problem with marine fish but the bioload of seahorses was a game changer. For that reason and I wanted more than 2 seahorses I upgraded to the 56 column which I love. It houses 4 seahorses but I have an oversized skimmer and a 20 gallon sump.
I did see you upgraded from your 36 to 56. 36 was only if I found a cheap one to get me going but might as well to it right the 1st time right. haha that's why I am really thinking about this. there are a lot of parts the the equation...

one being taking down my 20L macro to set up this sh tank..


Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2017, 04:23 PM   #7
Cstaricansrfer1
Registered Member
 
Cstaricansrfer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orange Park, Florida
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
I had a pair of ponies in a 36 bowfront tank. I loved the looks and dimensions for aquascaping but I hated scrubbing the bowed glass. Metal scrapers don't work near as well on a bowfront tank as flat glass. It was not a problem with marine fish but the bioload of seahorses was a game changer. For that reason and I wanted more than 2 seahorses I upgraded to the 56 column which I love. It houses 4 seahorses but I have an oversized skimmer and a 20 gallon sump.
I also enjoy my 56 gallon column for my seahorses. I built a taller stand so it is a perfect viewing height with it being a taller tank. The only issue is reaching to the bottom for algae/detritus removal, but not really a big deal.


__________________
75 Gallon Mixed Reef
Cstaricansrfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2017, 10:00 AM   #8
Devaji108
Registered Member
 
Devaji108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jackson Hole Wy
Posts: 3,563
I decided on what i had on hand the 40/40 set up.


Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:44 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014