Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/29/2012, 07:26 AM   #251
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger Reef View Post
Hello,

When using a hob filter with the filter with no carbon, do I need to clean or change it when I do my weekly WC? I dont want to get rid of the good bacteria that's on it, but will I do more harm not cleaning it? QT is cycle.

Thanks for you help in advance.
unless u have ceramic media in the HOB i wouldnt, in-fact i never clean them while there are fish in the tank. only time i clean is when there is no fish this way if there is a mini cycle no livestock gets hurt.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2013, 07:16 AM   #252
CorbetJackson50
Registered Member

I have a qt set up and running and i plan on going ro the lfs tonight to pick up 3 or 4 fish. The tank is a 46 bowfront bare bottom with a canister filter running a sponge and lr rubble. The tank was set up using half old water from dt and half new sw. The canister filter ran on my dt for a week and now for a week on the qt.

my question is should i do away with the lr rubble in the canister?

CorbetJackson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2013, 09:37 AM   #253
CorbetJackson50
Registered Member

Well I've pretty much answered my own question. Now my question is to medicate or not??? I wasn't planning to unless i saw the need to. I was planning on just observing. would it be safer to medicate anyways since i have a qt setup???

Old 01/09/2013, 01:10 PM   #254
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

observation is what i recommend with 1-2 weeks of prazipro. treat for ich if u see any. other wise 6 weeks and main tank they go.

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
Old 01/09/2013, 02:47 PM   #255
CorbetJackson50
Registered Member

Sounds good i went ahead and picked up some prazipro... Any problem with the lr rubble in the canister filter in conjunction with the prazipro? and for that matter adding lr to the qt to beef up the biological filtration and make it "homier" for the fish or no?

Old 01/09/2013, 04:23 PM   #256
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

no problem using LR in qt with prazipro. but if u need to use copper based med at some point then lr has to go out. and if u have to get the rock out then hold on copper few days for filters to catch up with bacteria as some bacteria will go away with the rubble u took out.

Old 01/09/2013, 05:47 PM   #257
CorbetJackson50
Registered Member

Thanks a bunch for your help! The first time in 8 years I've actually quarantine new arrivals

Old 01/09/2013, 06:01 PM   #258
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbetJackson50 View Post
Thanks a bunch for your help! The first time in 8 years I've actually quarantine new arrivals
you been playing Russian roulette for 8 yrs. well now ur on the right path. good luck and happy reefing.

Old 01/09/2013, 10:57 PM   #259
CorbetJackson50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumair View Post
you been playing Russian roulette for 8 yrs. well now ur on the right path. good luck and happy reefing.
Well i got lucky stocking my tank the first go around. Eventually lost a couple but pretty much kept the same fish for six years. I've always been careful of who i buy from and always watch the fish in the store for a few days. I moved the tank and lost all my fish and restocked and had bad ich outbreak that i was too busy to get under control in time. I don't want to go down that road again. I have a nice regal blue tang that is fat and happy and ich free and id like to keep it that way!

Old 01/10/2013, 07:39 PM   #260
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumair View Post
firstly yes take carbon out while dosing any meds. secondly i always use ceramic rings for bacteria to grow on. Carbon will clean ur water so yes 2 weeks of dosing prazipro should be done without carbon and also if u decide to treat with cupramine then carbon should be taken out too. once treatment is done water changes and carbon should be placed back in.
Hi bnumair,

I've begun to cycle my 20G QT. I'm using an Aqueon Quietflow HOB filter, but I'm not convinced there is enough surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. If I were to use ceramic rings as mentioned above, what would be the best way to do so in my tank? I'm going to have the QT up for several months, as it will be for a brand new DT with no livestock currently.

Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 07:28 AM   #261
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

there is always enough space in the HOB for one to place a media sock full of ceramic rings. if for some reason u cant then place the ceramic media in media socks/baggies and place them in high flow area in the tank. they will eventually have enough bacteria growing on them to make bigger surface area.

Old 01/11/2013, 09:30 AM   #262
Deinonych
Registered Member

Great, thanks so much. Looks like there's some space between the filter floss and the "bio-holster" grid. Hopefully my LFS has the rings.

Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 09:55 AM   #263
nickbuol
Registered Member

I keep going back and forth on whether or not to medicate right away, or wait and just keep the water clean and hope that things die on their own.

I know that this is an age old argument, but I've heard from some "industry experts" who were getting talks at major saltwater aquaria meets/conferences who were giving specifics on how to medicate EVERY QT whether the livestock shows any signs of parasites/sickness. Prazipro and Cupramine were consistently the two products used for medication with some sort of antibiotic available for use if need be, but not used unless some symptom showed up. Another consistency was to ramp up some of the medications like the Cupramine. 1/4 dose, wait a few days, 1/4 dose again, wait, then 1/2 dose, etc. Ease them into the meds basically.

With my 120 gallon FOWLR done cycling, I am excited to get my first couple of fish (clowns), but since I have 2 weeks’ worth of travel starting next week, I wanted to wait until *I* (not my wife since she tells me that this is *MY* tank) was home to go through the whole quarantine process, but I want to make sure that I have a solid game plan for quarantining the fish so that I feel comfortable making my order in a couple of weeks.

Again, I've heard "All fish come with parasites whether you see them or not. Treat them now so that they are parasite and disease free before putting them into you DT. Not everything will just go away on its own." and the counter of that "Never medicate unless you know what you are medicating for and the fish is showing signs of parasites or disease. The medications are hard on the fish."

How the heck does someone ever know what to do?
PS. This is not my first FOWLR tank. We had a 75 years ago and I only quarantined 1 fish (koran angel) and it died in the QT despite my best efforts. So while saltwater is not new to me and we never lost any other fish to parasites or diseases, the QT process has me nervous as I just want to do the right thing.

Da-dum...
Da-dum...
Da-dum-da-dum-da-dum
nickbuol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 01:33 PM   #264
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deinonych View Post
Great, thanks so much. Looks like there's some space between the filter floss and the "bio-holster" grid. Hopefully my LFS has the rings.
petco or petsmart will have them too. i always got mine at petsmart.

Old 01/11/2013, 01:43 PM   #265
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
I keep going back and forth on whether or not to medicate right away, or wait and just keep the water clean and hope that things die on their own.

I know that this is an age old argument, but I've heard from some "industry experts" who were getting talks at major saltwater aquaria meets/conferences who were giving specifics on how to medicate EVERY QT whether the livestock shows any signs of parasites/sickness. Prazipro and Cupramine were consistently the two products used for medication with some sort of antibiotic available for use if need be, but not used unless some symptom showed up. Another consistency was to ramp up some of the medications like the Cupramine. 1/4 dose, wait a few days, 1/4 dose again, wait, then 1/2 dose, etc. Ease them into the meds basically.

With my 120 gallon FOWLR done cycling, I am excited to get my first couple of fish (clowns), but since I have 2 weeks’ worth of travel starting next week, I wanted to wait until *I* (not my wife since she tells me that this is *MY* tank) was home to go through the whole quarantine process, but I want to make sure that I have a solid game plan for quarantining the fish so that I feel comfortable making my order in a couple of weeks.

Again, I've heard "All fish come with parasites whether you see them or not. Treat them now so that they are parasite and disease free before putting them into you DT. Not everything will just go away on its own." and the counter of that "Never medicate unless you know what you are medicating for and the fish is showing signs of parasites or disease. The medications are hard on the fish."

How the heck does someone ever know what to do?
PS. This is not my first FOWLR tank. We had a 75 years ago and I only quarantined 1 fish (koran angel) and it died in the QT despite my best efforts. So while saltwater is not new to me and we never lost any other fish to parasites or diseases, the QT process has me nervous as I just want to do the right thing.
Qt'ing fish is the best policy for a safe and cleaner DT.
regarding whether to medicate or not, i personally do as follows.
first i get fish from a very reputable source.
then i qt them in my qt tank.
i do run 2 weeks with prazipro no matter what.
then wait and observe for next 4 weeks.
in this observation period i dont treat just look for unusual,
if ich or other parasites are found in that time then i do medicate with cupramine or best known medicine.
sometimes if i am qting tangs (they are known as the ich magnets) i do run 2 weeks prazipro followed by 3 weeks of cupramine. (3 weeks due to fact i dont dose all the cupramine in 1 day. i go slow and dose over several days then hold the strength 0.5 for 2 weeks.)
once complete the cupramine treatment i take another 1 week to water changes and temp/ph/salinity match with dt and then i move them.

Old 01/11/2013, 02:00 PM   #266
nickbuol
Registered Member

Hey, that makes sense. Prazi no matter what and then treat each species differently. Ich magents (as you mention) get some copper, otherwise wait.

Ok, so I basically felt like a mocking bird, or broken record just repeating what you said.

Like I said, there are so many people that are extreme one way or another that I was looking for some levity and you provided it.

I've been told that LiveAquaria is pretty darn good as a source for livestock.

Da-dum...
Da-dum...
Da-dum-da-dum-da-dum

Last edited by nickbuol; 01/11/2013 at 02:09 PM.
nickbuol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 03:13 PM   #267
fio1022
Registered Member

I just added some tank raised yellow watchman gobies to my new qt (never treated).
What is your advice for tank raised specimens?Full Qt?
Thanks

Current Tank Info: 240g,64g acrylic sump/fuge,Apex,AI Hydra52,Vortech MP40's,Reef Dynamics INS300,GEO 612,etc....
fio1022 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2013, 08:04 PM   #268
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Hey, that makes sense. Prazi no matter what and then treat each species differently. Ich magents (as you mention) get some copper, otherwise wait.

Ok, so I basically felt like a mocking bird, or broken record just repeating what you said.

Like I said, there are so many people that are extreme one way or another that I was looking for some levity and you provided it.

I've been told that LiveAquaria is pretty darn good as a source for livestock.
LiveAquaria is very good online seller. and yes i think u got it now. glad i could help.

Old 01/11/2013, 08:11 PM   #269
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by fio1022 View Post
I just added some tank raised yellow watchman gobies to my new qt (never treated).
What is your advice for tank raised specimens?Full Qt?
Thanks
tank raised or not i would qt all fish fully and full term. reason due to simple fact its not the fish its the water they are in. most vendors have several tanks plumbed to 1 pump/sump/filter. so chances are parasites can be introduced to other tanks on same system.
also if u wanna give it some sand to play in use pure silica sand in a bowl and place it in the qt tank. silica due to the fact if u decide to use medications containing copper it wont absorb any like other types.
good luck and happy reefing

Old 01/11/2013, 11:59 PM   #270
jpruitt
Registered Member

I have a quick question as I am new to QTing fish. But since I lost 400 dollars in fish due to ich i figure it's a good time to start. But anyways my question, after I treat with copper or another product and bring the levels back down to zero then wait a couple of weeks, How do I transfer the fish into my DT. Since you are not suppose to use the same net ect I'm a little lost on how to properly transfer as I do not want to contaminate my DT. If someone could give me a step by step it would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01/12/2013, 01:22 PM   #271
terirass
Registered Member

OK, I'm really a novice here. Have had a tank for several years, had some long-lived fish and soft corals in there, but you've got me thinking it was just dumb luck ? I don't have a QT tank, never had. Is this a must? And why?

good info on setting one up, but why does one need to treat with copper? Is that for fish with ich?

terirass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 04:03 PM   #272
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpruitt View Post
I have a quick question as I am new to QTing fish. But since I lost 400 dollars in fish due to ich i figure it's a good time to start. But anyways my question, after I treat with copper or another product and bring the levels back down to zero then wait a couple of weeks, How do I transfer the fish into my DT. Since you are not suppose to use the same net ect I'm a little lost on how to properly transfer as I do not want to contaminate my DT. If someone could give me a step by step it would be most appreciated. Thanks.
ok good question. first i am sorry for ur loss but on the other hand i am glad ur practicing QT.
here is the steps i take to make sure of clean transfer.
first off after treating the tank with copper u need to do 2 things. first off do water changes and use a product called cuprisorb by seachem. these 2 things will knock ur copper out to 0 over 2 weeks time.
then once u hit copper 0 then i take a bucket fill it with DT water and net the fish out from QT and give it a bath in bucket. (note: make sure the ph/temp/salinity is same between dt and qt.)
this practice will prevent copper from getting into the main tank.
also i use the net from qt to bucket that only is used in qt then after bath i use a different net from bucket to main tank.

Old 01/12/2013, 04:11 PM   #273
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by terirass View Post
OK, I'm really a novice here. Have had a tank for several years, had some long-lived fish and soft corals in there, but you've got me thinking it was just dumb luck ? I don't have a QT tank, never had. Is this a must? And why?

good info on setting one up, but why does one need to treat with copper? Is that for fish with ich?
its luck. people get away with not qting fish but its not a safe practice.
i strongly recommend having a qt. for people that have already maxed out their tanks with fish and are not expected to buy anymore can get away with no qt till they lose a fish or one gets sick. then u can setup an emergency qt but for people that are still in process of adding fish should have one setup permanently.
so in short qt is must. there are many many parasites and diseases out there that fish carry and can introduce it to ur existing setup and sometimes wipe out the entire tank.
qt'ing can prevent some of these problems. qt will also give a fish to adjust to a new environment and eat regular before going to main tank.
copper is used to treat ich. some fish can handle copper some dont. tangs are ich magnets and i treat them with copper. some fish that cannot handle copper there are other means like hypo-salinity or tank transfer method.

Old 01/12/2013, 06:57 PM   #274
jpruitt
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments and I will definitely start QTing everything. Happy reefing.

Old 01/13/2013, 01:22 PM   #275
chorn562
Registered Member

my 125g DT finished cycling for about a week now. i was thinking about setting up a 20g QT now before i get my first fish.

1) would i be able to use water from my DT in a newly setup QT with a HOB filter and consider the tank cycled?

2) how often would i change out the filter cartridge while i have fish in the QT?

sorry if these questions have been answered before, i dont know if its me but it seems like vbulleten runs really slow on RC and it takes me forever to go through threads

chorn562 is offline   Reply With Quote