Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/21/2018, 06:50 AM   #376
tenurepro
Registered Member

25 month update
Alk swings because: weaning tank off of kalk / switched to ESV 2 part / forgot to replenish 2 part dosing container for a few days / forgot to adjust dosing while on vacation. Had a weird calcium spike because of bum test kit. Two acropora are really unhappy.

https://youtu.be/KKl6ln29dyI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2018, 02:57 PM   #377
tenurepro
Registered Member

26 month update
Generally +ve.
Added two gyres to two mp10s to enhance flow in my reefer 250
Also did a minor aquascape...
seeing some subtle signs of improvement on the two acros that browned out
[MEDIA=youtube]uvgmJQf8UgE[/MEDIA]

Old 09/14/2018, 06:43 AM   #378
tenurepro
Registered Member

27 month update vid.
New flasher wrasse added, kamoer doing containers, and thoughts about expanding my ato reservoir.
Finally, starting an experiment on Redsea reefer coral colors trace element dosing.
https://youtu.be/6HzII3p5zwY

Old 09/20/2018, 02:45 AM   #379
Tastee
Registered Member

Regarding your ATO issue, I also have a Reefer 250 and you may find my solution of use. I have setup my RODI outside the house near the tank and use a pressure sensitive solenoid to keep an 80L reservoir full of filtered water. This reservoir is about 500mm lower than the sump and I use the Neptune ATK to keep the Reefer ATO full from this. This way I never have to manually fill the ATO tank.

In normal use I manually control the RODI - turn the tap on every 2nd weekend to fill, and once I hear the solenoid kick in (it creates a little vibration on close) go out and turn it off. The Apex is programmed to fill the ATO once a day at midday. If I want however (e.g. if we go away for a few weeks) I can leave it on permanently. In this automated use the solenoid will operate once a day around 12:30 or so to keep the reservoir full.

I know you don’t use your ATO tank, but you may be able to do something similar. I like the Neptune ATK due to the high levels of redundancy to avoid floods and the alerting of issues.

BTW I love your tank!

Regards, Brad.

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2018, 12:36 PM   #380
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastee View Post
Regarding your ATO issue, I also have a Reefer 250 and you may find my solution of use. I have setup my RODI outside the house near the tank and use a pressure sensitive solenoid to keep an 80L reservoir full of filtered water. This reservoir is about 500mm lower than the sump and I use the Neptune ATK to keep the Reefer ATO full from this. This way I never have to manually fill the ATO tank.

In normal use I manually control the RODI - turn the tap on every 2nd weekend to fill, and once I hear the solenoid kick in (it creates a little vibration on close) go out and turn it off. The Apex is programmed to fill the ATO once a day at midday. If I want however (e.g. if we go away for a few weeks) I can leave it on permanently. In this automated use the solenoid will operate once a day around 12:30 or so to keep the reservoir full.

I know you donít use your ATO tank, but you may be able to do something similar. I like the Neptune ATK due to the high levels of redundancy to avoid floods and the alerting of issues.

BTW I love your tank!

Regards, Brad.

Thanks Brad - what a neat system. Alas, behind my tank is our backyard patio. While there is a little space to hide a big water reservoir there and plug the rodi to my outdoor faucet, I am sure the whole setup would freeze solid in our long Canadian winters.
I was looking over the tunze osmolator documentation and it says that - when set on max output - the tunze is capable of pumping water up to 12 ft. My tank is situated nearly above the basement laundry tub where I make rodi. So in theory, putting a large container in the basement underneath the tank, and running a power and water line via a little inconspicuous hole in the parquet and subfloor can solve me problem. Iíll try to do a test run with the pump first to see if it will indeed pump water that high. If it does, then I think I am good.

The apex ato kit seems also very useful. The PMUP is rated for 14 ft I think and they do sell a 10 ft extension cable... but I rather try with my tunze to avoid shelling out 250+ on a new ato system.
Thanks for your thoughts and comments! Cheers

Old 09/22/2018, 12:55 AM   #381
Tastee
Registered Member

Reefer 250 build

Yep, I used the 10í extension cable in my installation, as the Apex controller is in my sump.

I agree to run a test, just find anywhere you can get > your required head/height and make sure it pumps up that far through the RODI line. Up a set of stairs should work fine.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/22/2018, 06:35 AM   #382
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastee View Post
Yep, I used the 10í extension cable in my installation, as the Apex controller is in my sump.

I agree to run a test, just find anywhere you can get > your required head/height and make sure it pumps up that far through the RODI line. Up a set of stairs should work fine.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crude test but it worked! Managed to pump water from basement to first floor with tunze osmolator pump! So seems like the idea has merit!