Reef Central Online Community
The Filter Guys

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/19/2017, 08:43 PM   #1
allendehl
Registered Member

Target feed fish?

How do you guys target feed individual fish? I've read of "giving this and that to my Puffer" or "something else to my shrimp".

How is it possible to feed certain food to an individual fish or pair/group of fish w/o having the others join the party? How do they know when to come for their personalized menu?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 | Jebao DCT 4000 | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2017, 09:39 PM   #2
ali1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allendehl View Post
How do you guys target feed individual fish? I've read of "giving this and that to my Puffer" or "something else to my shrimp".

How is it possible to feed certain food to an individual fish or pair/group of fish w/o having the others join the party? How do they know when to come for their personalized menu?
Not likely you'll be able to do so unless you mix different species end of the spectrum. Example, my achilles tang wont touch mysis, so my copperband gets all of it. On the other hand, my copperband hates algae so tangs get the love.

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2017, 09:50 PM   #3
SterlingP
Registered Member

I have an engineer goby I have to feed from a syringe, the clowns steal the food at the top before it gets to the bottom.

SterlingP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2017, 10:01 PM   #4
Jon0807
Registered Member

I use a turkey baster. But then again I only have 5 fish....

Old 10/20/2017, 12:47 PM   #5
tjm9331
Registered Member

I have a marine betta that is a little slower than the other fish, so I'll use a turkey baster and fill it with some Mysis. I'll shoot a little in the tank to distract the other fish then bring the turkey baster right to the marine betta, at first I would just shoot some in front of his face and he'd grab it, now he actually latches on to the end of the baster and literally sucks the Mysis out.

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2017, 12:55 PM   #6
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

Turkey baster for Golden Nugget Clown and Engineer Goby here.

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2017, 01:08 PM   #7
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm9331 View Post
I have a marine betta that is a little slower than the other fish, so I'll use a turkey baster and fill it with some Mysis. I'll shoot a little in the tank to distract the other fish then bring the turkey baster right to the marine betta, at first I would just shoot some in front of his face and he'd grab it, now he actually latches on to the end of the baster and literally sucks the Mysis out.
I trained my marine betta to come to the surface of the tank for feeding . I use a pair of pair of tweezers to hold the food and he comes and gets it. He used to only eat jumbo mysis and that is how I trained him, but now he east whatever is on the tweezers. His favorite is large pellets of ocean nutrition formula 1. Its funny because even if there is nothing on the tweezers, he would still desperately bite it several times before understanding there is nothing on it. So I basically reproduced Pavlov's dog experiment with a marine betta .

Tripod1404 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2017, 01:10 PM   #8
tjm9331
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
I trained my marine betta to come to the surface of the tank for feeding . I use a pair of pair of tweezers to hold the food and he comes and gets it. He used to only eat jumbo mysis and that is how I trained him, but now he east whatever is on the tweezers. His favorite is large pellets of ocean nutrition formula 1. Its funny because even if there is nothing on the tweezers, he would still desperately bite it several times before understanding there is nothing on it. So I basically reproduced Pavlov's dog experiment with a marine betta .
there's always a 1 upper

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2017, 06:45 PM   #9
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Certain fish sometime prefer a specific food. Others will only eat larger food because they are large fish. You can figure out within a few days what fish you have prefer what food. If you have a specialized feeder that only likes a certain food, then I would feed all other fish first then feed the food the finicky eater likes last. If other non picky fish are full then the problem fish can eat what it likes

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 2 MP60s, MP40, and a Tunze 6305
Dmorty217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2017, 11:04 PM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Only fish I have that gets target fed is my zebra eel (shrimp on the end of a skewer). Best way to ensure all my fish get some food is to pour it directly into my MP60. Shoots it around the tank. Why folks turn off pumps to feed I have never understood.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2017, 01:27 PM   #11
Foundry
Registered Member

I sometimes target feed my YWM Goby as he is lazy and reluctant to stray far the pistol shrimp whilst its out.

Otherwise the clowns and filefish go to town and eat everything.

Foundry is offline   Reply With Quote