Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/21/2017, 07:11 AM   #1
MrApplebee
Registered Member

Tunze osmolator issue

Setting up my tank this week and everything has gone perfectly. Decided to set up the tunze osmolator this morning. The problem Iím having is it wonít stop pumping. Iíve ended up putting 25 litres of RO water into the system whilst trying to figure it out.

Am I right in thinking that once everything is set up on the magnet holder and the water level is where I want it to be, once I turn the osmolator on, the osmolator will know that that is the water level it needs to maintain. Or do I have to do something to let the osmolator know? Itís doing my head in!! Lo

MrApplebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2017, 07:35 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Read..
https://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/gebr...x3155.8888.pdf

Old 10/21/2017, 07:42 AM   #3
MrApplebee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Thanks. Iíve got the instructions here and have followed them to a T. Iím giessing mynunit is defective. While your here, Iím giessing that my salinity is going to have been affected? Iíve got my Red Sea refractometer here so will give me a reason to get to grips with that. (Bought my initial fill up water from LFS) What do I do about the reduced salinity. Let the water evaporate until at a normal level.

Old 10/21/2017, 08:04 AM   #4
Xxero
Registered Member

This may be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5jlChFHUiU

"What do I do about the reduced salinity. Let the water evaporate until at a normal level?"

If you let the water evaporate, then you will have to add mixed saltwater at the same SG as the tank water to top it off.

Or, you can take your SG reading now, and just add small amounts of salt until you reach the SG you're looking for.

HTH

Current Tank Info: 65g Mixed Reef Display - 15g Macro Algae/Refugium - 40b Sump
Xxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2017, 08:15 AM   #5
MrApplebee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxero View Post
This may be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5jlChFHUiU

"What do I do about the reduced salinity. Let the water evaporate until at a normal level?"

If you let the water evaporate, then you will have to add mixed saltwater at the same SG as the tank water to top it off.

Or, you can take your SG reading now, and just add small amounts of salt until you reach the SG you're looking for.

HTH
Thanks mate. Yeh, looks like my unit is definatly faulty. Iím glad it failed right out of the box and not while Iím away next week. Lol

Thanks for the answer on the salinity issue 👍🏻

Old 10/21/2017, 02:06 PM   #6
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Go under Tunze in the sponsor forum and get ahold of Roger. He will tell you where to send the unit so he can repair it

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 2 MP60s
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2017, 04:54 PM   #7
homer1475
Registered Member

You do realize that when the osmolator turns on, it puts a small amount of water out of the unit?

No it should not continue to run, just a cup or so of water when the power is turned on.

Biocube Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2499945

Nothing in this hobby happens fast!
homer1475 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2017, 06:28 PM   #8
MrApplebee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
You do realize that when the osmolator turns on, it puts a small amount of water out of the unit?

No it should not continue to run, just a cup or so of water when the power is turned on.
Yeh I think itís supposed to come on for a few seconds. Mine just stays on and fills right up past the optical sensor and the float switch.

Old 10/21/2017, 06:32 PM   #9
MrApplebee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Go under Tunze in the sponsor forum and get ahold of Roger. He will tell you where to send the unit so he can repair it
Thanks mate. Iíve contacted the amazon seller I bought it from (aquacadabra), theyíre going to send out a new unit in replacement if a technician canít solve the issue with me over the phone. (Iím giessing theyíre gonna retalk me through the set up)

Old 10/23/2017, 04:00 AM   #10
MrApplebee
Registered Member

Looks like there is some truth in what a few people have said about the optical eye needing breaking in. I tried it again this morning and it’s working perfectly. Didn’t do a single thing differently, just suddenly started working as advertised.

Old 10/23/2017, 10:40 PM   #11
LizE
Registered Member

You have to plug it in when the water level is below the sensor or what you described will happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LizE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2017, 10:23 AM   #12
MrApplebee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizE View Post
You have to plug it in when the water level is below the sensor or what you described will happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thatís what I was doing. The guy on the phone from tunze did say that it happens sometimes (rarely though) right out of the box.

Old 10/25/2017, 06:58 AM   #13
bice0004
Registered Member

Micro bubbles on optical eye trick it into thinking it is in the air and needs to add water. After a few days, bacterial film will cover optical eye and bubbles will be less likely to stick causing it to work as designed.

bice0004 is offline   Reply With Quote