Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 10/21/2017, 08:15 AM   #1
Bulldog39
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 139
Sump question

I am starting to cycle my tank today and when finished I will start my refugium. Question is when I add my chaeto do I use sand and rock also? I was thinking about sand in with the chaeto and rock in with my filter sock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk


Bulldog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2017, 08:57 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member
 
mcgyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12,510
Best to not so that the chaeto is free to tumble and not get caught on the rocks,etc..
Not to mention that just traps detritus,etc...

But if you want its not going to really cause any real issues.. The differences are pretty minimal..


__________________
Being blunt and having fun
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2017, 09:10 AM   #3
Bulldog39
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Best to not so that the chaeto is free to tumble and not get caught on the rocks,etc..
Not to mention that just traps detritus,etc...

But if you want its not going to really cause any real issues.. The differences are pretty minimal..
Is it a good idea to use a sand bed in with the chaeto and rock ruble in with the sock and skimmer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk


Bulldog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2017, 09:28 AM   #4
rockhead51
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 125
Depends how much sand and rock you have in the display. Sand and rock are just the home for bacteria. The amount of bacteria will balance out in your system. As long as you have enough places for it to live already, more probably doesn't matter.
I would worry about rock in with chaeto (as posted above) and too much extra sand being a place detrius and bad bacteria could develop.
IMO, if you think you need more area to host good bacteria, you'd be better served with media bags of matrix. But I am kind of anal about things being organized...

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk


rockhead51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Bulldog39
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhead51 View Post
Depends how much sand and rock you have in the display. Sand and rock are just the home for bacteria. The amount of bacteria will balance out in your system. As long as you have enough places for it to live already, more probably doesn't matter.
I would worry about rock in with chaeto (as posted above) and too much extra sand being a place detrius and bad bacteria could develop.
IMO, if you think you need more area to host good bacteria, you'd be better served with media bags of matrix. But I am kind of anal about things being organized...

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Something like this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk


Bulldog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2017, 10:39 AM   #6
rockhead51
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog39 View Post
Something like this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Yep. Or

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk


rockhead51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2017, 10:43 AM   #7
rockhead51
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 125
And if you go with media bags, be careful that you get those with drawstrings or "ziplock" type closures. I read recently about a guy who had some with metal zippers and they had been corroding and leaching metals into his water (I guess they were made for freshwater).

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk


rockhead51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2017, 10:51 AM   #8
rockhead51
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 125
Last thoughts:
- Everybody has an opinion.
- Nothing good in this hobby happens fast.
- You could write books about what I DON'T know about aquariums.
- There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Talk to as many people as you can!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk


rockhead51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2017, 11:50 AM   #9
Sanren
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhead51 View Post
Last thoughts:
- Everybody has an opinion.
- Nothing good in this hobby happens fast.
- You could write books about what I DON'T know about aquariums.
- There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Talk to as many people as you can!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
I dont have rock in my fuge, but have always run a deep sand bed. Shallow sand in the display for looks and snail home, about half to 3/4 inch and deep in the fuge, about 4 inches. Takes 2 to 3 months of running but really helps me control nitrates.
As everything in this hobby goes, that is my preference and my experience. There can be entire threads on how wrong i am and how right i am. Works well for me, tank has been going about 4 years since the last rebuild and fuge with dsb has been up about 2 years.
Display is a 160 gal (undrilled....yuck) 90 gal sump running about 70 gals, and the fuge is a 30 gal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk


Sanren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:27 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014