Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/16/2018, 07:47 AM   #26
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
What is your filtration setup in the AIO chambers? Mechanical filtration is not a must, but it can clog quickly especially in such a confined space. One option is a Poly Filter pad which can be cut to size. Advantage is they will remove contaminants along with mechanical filtration. This will help clear the water and remove silica from the water column. After that you're left with Nitrate and Phosphate control.
We have a protein skimmer in chamber 1, bio balls in 2 (we will likely change that eventually), 3 has our heater and now a UV sterilizer (don't plan to run that full time) and return pump. There were originally poly pads in chamber 1, but they had to be removed for the protein skimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
not to burst your bubble. your coralline algae are purple paint, if they sold you that as premium live rock, you should stay away from that store.
We cycled with dry rock. The photo below is what it looked like when we added the clowns. All of the color on the rock has grown over the past two months. We also have some growing on the back of the tank.

MyHouseIsAZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2018, 07:49 AM   #27
ClownNut
Registered Member

double post

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2018, 07:51 AM   #28
ClownNut
Registered Member

then you bought purple painted dry rock. i think most if not all of us will agreed, you didnt grow a rock full of coralline but only a few spots on the back wall.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
Old 03/16/2018, 08:07 AM   #29
ramseynb
Registered Member

Quote:
then you bought purple painted dry rock. i think most if not all of us will agreed, you didnt grow a rock full of coralline but only a few spots on the back wall.

What? LOL. Maybe he did grow that much coralline in a couple of months. Itís hard to gauge from the pictures just how much there is. Why are you basically calling the man a liar, though? I think anyone would notice if they bought ďpainted dry rockĒ.

Ten tickles!
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2018, 08:15 AM   #30
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

It seems the photo did not properly attach to my last post. THIS is the rock when the clowns were added. The purple color did not show up all at once, but has gradually spread over the last several weeks. The first attached image is from January 27. The next image with the pom pom crab is from February 27. The close up on the speckled rock with the hermit cleaning the snail is from March 7. The final photo is from yesterday March 16. I am a total newb at saltwater/reef tanks, but if there is paint that appears over time, that is one crazy gimmick. The crab, snail and last photo are the same general area of the same rock, just slightly different angles over several weeks. The rockscape was changed between the January 27 and February 27 photo do to a collapse (rock wasn't burried in the sand enough and became increasingly unstable after our goby & pistol shrimp were added...the pistol shrimp has created a tunnel from the front left corner of the rock work to the back rear corner of the tank)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0238.jpg (26.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0484.jpg (54.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0573.jpg (98.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0624.jpg (72.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 03/16/2018, 08:19 AM   #31
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramseynb View Post
What? LOL. Maybe he did grow that much coralline in a couple of months. Itís hard to gauge from the pictures just how much there is. Why are you basically calling the man a liar, though? I think anyone would notice if they bought ďpainted dry rockĒ.
Thank you! If it's painted it is fancy paint that appears over time! Though my kids and dogs could be sneaking in and finger painting while I'm sleeping or at work The rock was white/beige when it was purchased and added to the tank. The only thing that has been added to the rock is superglue to secure the rock together and to secure frag plugs.

Old 03/16/2018, 08:31 AM   #32
ClownNut
Registered Member

lol, not like any coralline algae i seen.

Old 03/16/2018, 08:54 AM   #33
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
lol, not like any coralline algae i seen.
Is there anything it could be other than coralline or cyano? It is encrusted (I tried with my nail and then with a knife last night when I was removing dead coral frag plugs) It doesn't budge!

The next thing I'm doing is to remove the light cover and clean it as it seems to have some debris on the inside. That may help with the intensity. I also got the okay to start looking into LED upgrades for the lighting I only had to agree to a puppy in exchange for the okay for tank upgrades. I think we both knew that wouldn't be a hard trade to make! I'm a sucker for puppy breath! Of course the kids tried to join the conversation and suggested that we get 2 puppies, one for each of them Not happening...yet

Old 03/16/2018, 09:40 AM   #34
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHouseIsAZoo View Post
We have a protein skimmer in chamber 1, bio balls in 2 (we will likely change that eventually), 3 has our heater and now a UV sterilizer (don't plan to run that full time) and return pump. There were originally poly pads in chamber 1, but they had to be removed for the protein skimmer.
You could try ditching the bio balls completely (your rock work should be sufficient enough in 14g) and placing the poly back in chamber 1. Chamber 2 skimmer leave there, and chamber 3 leave how it is as well.

The filtration benefit of the Poly filter would out weigh the bacteria surface area provided by the bio-balls.

Old 03/16/2018, 09:58 AM   #35
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
You could try ditching the bio balls completely (your rock work should be sufficient enough in 14g) and placing the poly back in chamber 1. Chamber 2 skimmer leave there, and chamber 3 leave how it is as well.

The filtration benefit of the Poly filter would out weigh the bacteria surface area provided by the bio-balls.
I'm not opposed to that. The BioBalls are a PITA when needing to do anything in that chamber. I'm not a big fan of digging around in dark places I can't see. I know the chances of anything living in there are slim to none, but I still don't like it.

Old 03/16/2018, 03:33 PM   #36
Borntrippn
Registered Member

Maybe a amonia spike

Borntrippn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2018, 05:50 PM   #37
gonioporagirl
Registered Member

im getting really nitpicky here but maybe you could up your ph to 8.3 or 8.2. Be careful though because marine buffers can add unwanted phosphate

gonioporagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2018, 05:51 PM   #38
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Are you sure your nitrate is less than 5 ppm and phosphate is virtually zero?
Your tank is only 2 months old, filtration has not natured enough, sorry but that water looks greenish.....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2018, 10:07 PM   #39
Borntrippn
Registered Member

In my experience thesmaller the system the harder it is to keep stable

Borntrippn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2018, 12:25 AM   #40
Tastee
Registered Member

Another idea for your Bio balls is to replace them with Marine Pure balls or cubes. I use these (balls) in the first stage of my sump and they seem to be doing a wonderful job controlling nitrates. If you want to keep this type of filtration to one chamber then I would place Marine Pure balls on the bottom and cover them with Polyfilter.

I clean my Polyfilter monthly, replace as needed, and gently clean the Marine Pure balls once every 6 months in my system (don’t plan to ever replace them unless they physically break down). I keep my Polyfilter in the same compartment as my skimmer, as I use it to adsorb contaminants etc. I have a sponge filter and filter socks for other physical and bacterial filtration in separate areas. My sump sounds like a different design to yours however.

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2018, 03:37 AM   #41
ramseynb
Registered Member

Itís hard to tell from the pics but is the green just on the glass or is your water green? If your water is green, I wonder if youíre having some type of phytoplankton bloom. That could be using up all the nitrate and phosphates and could cause issues if itís that concentrated. Just a thought. I saw a tank at a LFS that was full of green water, so green you couldnít see anything in the tank, which is what made me think of it.

Ten tickles!
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2018, 06:58 AM   #42
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntrippn View Post
Maybe a amonia spike
Amonia has only spiked once since it cycled and it was because the skimmer was full and not working right. Fixed that and did a small water change and it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonioporagirl View Post
im getting really nitpicky here but maybe you could up your ph to 8.3 or 8.2. Be careful though because marine buffers can add unwanted phosphate
For now, I'm not going to monkey with PH. I try not to dose with anything unless absolutely necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Are you sure your nitrate is less than 5 ppm and phosphate is virtually zero?
Your tank is only 2 months old, filtration has not natured enough, sorry but that water looks greenish.....
In the first pictures, it was greenish. A water change has settled it down. Phosphates are currently around 0.25 Nitrates haven't spiked since the tank cycled. It was very greenish in the first photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntrippn View Post
In my experience thesmaller the system the harder it is to keep stable
This I have heard. But I'm determined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastee View Post
Another idea for your Bio balls is to replace them with Marine Pure balls or cubes. I use these (balls) in the first stage of my sump and they seem to be doing a wonderful job controlling nitrates. If you want to keep this type of filtration to one chamber then I would place Marine Pure balls on the bottom and cover them with Polyfilter.

I clean my Polyfilter monthly, replace as needed, and gently clean the Marine Pure balls once every 6 months in my system (donít plan to ever replace them unless they physically break down). I keep my Polyfilter in the same compartment as my skimmer, as I use it to adsorb contaminants etc. I have a sponge filter and filter socks for other physical and bacterial filtration in separate areas. My sump sounds like a different design to yours however.
I've seen those and wondered if they work well. I love low maintenance, but have fully accepted that low maintenance and saltwater don't often go hand in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramseynb View Post
Itís hard to tell from the pics but is the green just on the glass or is your water green? If your water is green, I wonder if youíre having some type of phytoplankton bloom. That could be using up all the nitrate and phosphates and could cause issues if itís that concentrated. Just a thought. I saw a tank at a LFS that was full of green water, so green you couldnít see anything in the tank, which is what made me think of it.
It was a little of both. It has definitely settled since we did the water change. And the one presumed dead coral of the 2 we left appears to be reviving. Now I'm kicking myself for pulling them all out wondering if the others were salvageable. Regardless, the GSP is still looking great and the Galaxea is bubbling back up and had a couple of small sweepers out when I turned the lights on yesterday morning.

Old 03/19/2018, 07:14 AM   #43
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

Took some new photos, but they don't do the tank justice. The water is crystal clear now, minus the bubbles. There is algae growth on the rocks, but the water is no longer green. I need to find a solution for cleaning the curved corners of the glass and right along the sand bed. I try to keep my hands out of the water as much as I can

As I mentioned in an earlier response, the Galaexa is perking back up! The ends are more bubbly (for lack of better description) like they previously were and yesterday morning there were a couple of short sweepers extended when I turned on the light.

I tested yesterday and phophates are at 0.25 (they tend to hover around there) Nitrates were zero. Ammonia was 0. Hopefully we are back on the straight and narrow and can keep things steady!

I really do appreciate all of the feedback and help with this! Being new at saltwater/reef tanks being able to pick the brain of those who are experienced is SO helpful!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0630.jpg (61.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0631.jpg (71.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0634.jpg (33.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 03/19/2018, 08:52 AM   #44
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Glad you're on the right track now!