Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/05/2013, 07:54 AM   #351
NH Fish
Registered Member

Tank has been in Hypo for 16 days now. All fish are doing well and eating very well. salt has been dead on 1.009. temp at 81. i have 1 powder blue tang with a small white spot on his pectoral fin. Could this still be ich? I also treated with Prazipro about 6 days ago. My Hippo has no noticable spots and is looking great. I will continue to treat for another 2-3 weeks. Cant wait till this is over.

NH Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 08:02 AM   #352
knight2255
Registered Member

I don't have an ato on my qt tank. I wasn't thinking the other day and just dumped in fresh but very cold ro/di water to top off. Ended up losing a $50 flasher wrasse so I highly recommend to slow drip your topoff water if it is not preheated.

knight2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 12:27 PM   #353
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Fish View Post
Tank has been in Hypo for 16 days now. All fish are doing well and eating very well. salt has been dead on 1.009. temp at 81. i have 1 powder blue tang with a small white spot on his pectoral fin. Could this still be ich? I also treated with Prazipro about 6 days ago. My Hippo has no noticeable spots and is looking great. I will continue to treat for another 2-3 weeks. Cant wait till this is over.
u cant take a chance without being 100% sure. but my 6th sense is probably ich due to simple fact that qt is bare bottom and there is no sand in the system.
i would wait it out. 2-3 weeks after last ich falls off is not a bad idea just more assuring that it will be a clean transfer.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 12:29 PM   #354
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight2255 View Post
I don't have an ato on my qt tank. I wasn't thinking the other day and just dumped in fresh but very cold ro/di water to top off. Ended up losing a $50 flasher wrasse so I highly recommend to slow drip your topoff water if it is not preheated.
very good advice. when ever ur adding water (whether its fresh water for ato or saltwater for water change) parameters like temp ph salinity etc need to be same. otherwise u will shock ur tankmates.

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
Old 02/05/2013, 12:44 PM   #355
NH Fish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumair View Post
u cant take a chance without being 100% sure. but my 6th sense is probably ich due to simple fact that qt is bare bottom and there is no sand in the system.
i would wait it out. 2-3 weeks after last ich falls off is not a bad idea just more assuring that it will be a clean transfer.
My 220 DT is in hypo. Couldnt catch all the fish.. has rock and sand in it.

Old 02/05/2013, 12:51 PM   #356
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Fish View Post
My 220 DT is in hypo. Couldnt catch all the fish.. has rock and sand in it.
dahhhh.. i had the dumb moment for a second.
well i would still not take a chance. ich can be gone from the skin but still could be in the gills and that cannot be seen with a naked eye.
so wait it out still. give it 2-3 weeks after last ich is observed and fish seems not breathing heavy due to ich in gills.

Old 02/06/2013, 10:09 AM   #357
NH Fish
Registered Member

Quote:
Well the spot is gone on the powder blue tang.(Glad about that) I'm 17 days into hypo. all fish look good. Will continue hypo for 2 more weeks then raise salinity slowley. I now have set up 3- 29 gal QT tanks and a 40B QT tank.
Nothing is going into my DT without Quarintine.

Last edited by NH Fish; 02/06/2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02/07/2013, 02:58 PM   #358
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

NH fish:
Fish look good from what i can see. i am glad there are no more spots on them. just continue for another 2 weeks in hypo then raise salinity 1 point per day till u get back to 1.025.
good luck and happy reefing.
Note: qt is never a bad idea.

Old 02/07/2013, 09:25 PM   #359
Fish_Kid99
Registered Member

Ok so I have a 20 gallon tank with two fish,coral, live rock, and a crushed coral substrate. I am upgrading this to a fifty gallon tank that has a sand bottom and i want to make the 20 a qt tank.I know I can't have a substrate in a qt tank so what do I do with it? It has lots of good bacteria and I don't want to just throw it out. Any suggeations?

Fish_Kid99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 09:58 PM   #360
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

i am not a big fan of crushed coral substrate but if you really dont want to throw it out then u can either use it in sump or lay it down in ur main tank first with new sand on top. eventually it wont stay down and may get mixed and re surface on top but by that time ur good bacteria will have transferred and u can siphon crushed coral out.

Note: u can also place the CCS in a media sock and place it in the main tank for seeding. then pull it out over time.

Old 02/07/2013, 10:24 PM   #361
Fish_Kid99
Registered Member

This is going to sound stupid, but what is a sump? I just have a bio wheel filter on my 55 gallon.

Old 02/07/2013, 10:28 PM   #362
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

ur fine. sump is another tank what sits under the main tank. usually the main tank drains in the sump and there usually are baffles and fuge and heater skimmer etc in the sump with a return pump back to the main tank.
here is a pic

Old 02/07/2013, 10:37 PM   #363
Fish_Kid99
Registered Member

Oh wow! That's a lot more than I thought it was. Ok thanks for the info. I might try that sometime.

Old 02/11/2013, 10:50 AM   #364
Deinonych
Registered Member

Hi bnumair,

What are your thoughts about using either Seachem Prime or Stability in conjunction with Prazipro? Are there any contraindications with either combination?

Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 11:19 AM   #365
JonnyD91
Registered Member

I have a 20G tank set up with an ehieim Wet/Dry canister filter that contains ehfisubstrat pro: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=8983

For the past year I have had just some live rock in there, i usually throw the live rock that has too much algae on it in there so it dies off. I recently took out most of the rock except one big piece. I assume the tank should be cycled (params all in check), however there are some times when i shut the heater down to save power and the tank temp goes down to about 72-74.

Will that have any impact on the bacteria colonies in the rock or the filter media?

I have some fish coming in, did a 50% water change in the system and turned the heater back to 80.

Should i add any type of bacteria boost?

Current Tank Info: 90G Reef - 2 MP40's - Apex Controlled - Reef Octopus PRO-SSS-DC1 Skimmer - 6 Bulb ATI Sunpower
JonnyD91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 04:11 PM   #366
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deinonych View Post
Hi bnumair,

What are your thoughts about using either Seachem Prime or Stability in conjunction with Prazipro? Are there any contraindications with either combination?
its never a good idea to mix meds together. prazipro (not sure) prime (for sure) contains reducing agents. and when reducing agents are combined or overdosed in combination the can cause oxygen to deplete causing stress or even death in livestock.
i recommend not to mix.
Good luck and happy reefing.

Last edited by bnumair; 02/11/2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02/11/2013, 04:21 PM   #367
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyD91 View Post
I have a 20G tank set up with an ehieim Wet/Dry canister filter that contains ehfisubstrat pro: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=8983

For the past year I have had just some live rock in there, i usually throw the live rock that has too much algae on it in there so it dies off. I recently took out most of the rock except one big piece. I assume the tank should be cycled (params all in check), however there are some times when i shut the heater down to save power and the tank temp goes down to about 72-74.

Will that have any impact on the bacteria colonies in the rock or the filter media?

I have some fish coming in, did a 50% water change in the system and turned the heater back to 80.

Should i add any type of bacteria boost?
Hi
media is fine no issues with that but remember if u pull it out and rinse it ur losing the bacteria and starting cycle all over again. so i would leave it in and not touch it.
second part of ur question. temp to keep bacteria active and healthy is 76-82 . cooler the temps are they become inactive and sometime die off. plus the swing in temp is not a good idea itself. try setting ur heater at 76F this is its on and off and not consuming too much electric. with fish i would definitely keep temp of 80F so it fastens the life cycle of any parasites it fish have any.
i personally dont waste time and money in bacteria in bottle. just my personal thing.
Good luck and Happy reefing.

Old 02/11/2013, 08:15 PM   #368
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
its never a good idea to mix meds together. prazipro (not sure) prime (for sure) contains reducing agents. and when reducing agents are combined or overdosed in combination the can cause oxygen to deplete causing stress or even death in livestock.
i recommend not to mix.
Good luck and happy reefing.
Thanks!

Old 02/11/2013, 09:32 PM   #369
Deinonych
Registered Member

Regarding Prime...how long should I wait to use PraziPro or Cupramine after adding to the tank? I add some Prime to my QT today, as ammonia was spiking a little bit.

I'll stop adding Prime to my tank, as I'm going to start a Cupramine protocol soon.

Old 02/11/2013, 10:18 PM   #370
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

i would run some carbon for week or so before adding cupramine to ur tank. or do major water changes to make sure there is no prime left in water as it will react with cupramine and cause water to turn toxic.

Old 02/11/2013, 10:32 PM   #371
JonnyD91
Registered Member

What is a good basic test kit for ammonia nitrite and nitrate? I have a ph probe for both tanks but my master test kit has run out. Been a while since I needed one. Haven't gotten new fish in 3 years.

Current Tank Info: 90G Reef - 2 MP40's - Apex Controlled - Reef Octopus PRO-SSS-DC1 Skimmer - 6 Bulb ATI Sunpower
JonnyD91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 11:15 PM   #372
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
i would run some carbon for week or so before adding cupramine to ur tank. or do major water changes to make sure there is no prime left in water as it will react with cupramine and cause water to turn toxic.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Old 02/12/2013, 09:46 AM   #373
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyD91 View Post
What is a good basic test kit for ammonia nitrite and nitrate? I have a ph probe for both tanks but my master test kit has run out. Been a while since I needed one. Haven't gotten new fish in 3 years.
I consider ammonia nitrite and nitrate basic level tests that are just required in initial setups and then forgotten. so for such lower level needs i use very basic API test kits as they are just as reliable and not that much in cost.

Old 02/14/2013, 06:55 PM   #374
borg1of2
Registered Member

I am about a week and half in my first QT and first fish. When I established my QT my nitrates were at about 2.5. The water came from a cycled DT which I also could never get Nitrate to 0, it always stayed about 2.5. I just took measurements on tanks and found Nitrate up to 10 in my QT, which I assume is expected with the fish eating and pooping. My question is if I should do a water change now, or wait to finish the full 2 weeks on the Prazipro, which is next Tuesday, or can I wait til then when I start the 50% water changes?

Maybe you've seen it.

Current Tank Info: 65 Gallon with Sump & Refugium
borg1of2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 08:00 PM   #375
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

nitrates will not hurt fish unless in uppers 90's and beyond. i would wait it out and last ur 2 weeks of prazipro then do water changes to rid the medicine. i would do few water changes like 30% times 3 or 4.