Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 10/14/2012, 02:08 AM   #126
dotcommer
Registered Member
 
dotcommer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 1,641
Bnumair,

I wanted to personally thank you for answering my questions and also thank you for taking the time to create a thread like this and to pass your knowledge on. This thread has helped a lot of people including myself. Thanks.



dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2012, 11:19 AM   #127
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service
 
bnumair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok, USA
Posts: 7,780
Blog Entries: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommer View Post
Bnumair,

I wanted to personally thank you for answering my questions and also thank you for taking the time to create a thread like this and to pass your knowledge on. This thread has helped a lot of people including myself. Thanks.
you are welcome, how is ur tang doing? did u end up with 2 tanks? HT and QT?
how is 300gal build coming along?


__________________
Water Quality: NO3 0,Phos 0,Cal 440,Alk 7.5,Mag 1300

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2012, 04:48 PM   #128
WickedBlue28
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferGil View Post
ReeferGil, not "girl"
My apologies I was on my phone and unable to post and reference the above information


__________________
28g JBJ NanoCube--Neptune Apex Controlled--DIY CREE LEDS in the Hood--MP10--JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10--Aquamaxx HOB-1--TLF Phosban 150's Carbon and GFO--Marine Magic Doser
WickedBlue28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/14/2012, 05:04 PM   #129
ReeferGil
Registered Member
 
ReeferGil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBlue28 View Post
My apologies I was on my phone and unable to post and reference the above information
I was just joshing, no apology needed.



ReeferGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2012, 11:10 AM   #130
jerkyjunky
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 115
Just about to start filling my new 120g system tonight, and start ordering live rock for it. Figured I would set up a QT this weekend for a few fish so I could add them when the main tank is done cycling. My question is more for a new system like mine, do I need to do anything as far as treatments go on the live rock? Are there odds at play that it is shipping with ich dormant on it or anything else for that matter that might spring to life after I put my safe and watched fish in it after the cycle?

I guess I could ask the same thing about the non-treated invertebrates you mentioned as well? Could a snail or shrimp have something on it that might also affect the other inhabitants?

Or perhaps am I worrying too much? lol


jerkyjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2012, 04:32 PM   #131
Red_Ant
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 290
For 4 fish in QT, how much would you feed them of a frozen cube per day? I have 2 clowns, royal gramma and hi fin goby in a 10 gallon QT for about 2 weeks now. Been feeding flakes in the morning and half a cube in the evening. I'm afraid I may been feeding too much as the water is turning a murky yellow. Ammonia is still zero on two different tests, gramma is looking sluggish today. Just did a 30% WC and will do 2 more over the next 2 days. Also just put carbon in there now that I'm done dosing with Prazipro. Or did Prazipro make the water change colors?


Red_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2012, 10:42 PM   #132
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service
 
bnumair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok, USA
Posts: 7,780
Blog Entries: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkyjunky View Post
Or perhaps am I worrying too much? lol
lol. but good questions. you should setup a QT and have it cycled and ready for ur fish to arrive. QT them as procedures mentioned and then transfer to main tank when it ready. Inverts and live rock dont carry ich. ich need a living fish as host. if u want u can rinse live rock in saltwater before placing in ur tank. this is jst a precaution but i havent seen such problem ever.
perhaps u r worrying too much lol.


__________________
Water Quality: NO3 0,Phos 0,Cal 440,Alk 7.5,Mag 1300

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2012, 10:47 PM   #133
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service
 
bnumair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok, USA
Posts: 7,780
Blog Entries: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ant View Post
For 4 fish in QT, how much would you feed them of a frozen cube per day? I have 2 clowns, royal gramma and hi fin goby in a 10 gallon QT for about 2 weeks now. Been feeding flakes in the morning and half a cube in the evening. I'm afraid I may been feeding too much as the water is turning a murky yellow. Ammonia is still zero on two different tests, gramma is looking sluggish today. Just did a 30% WC and will do 2 more over the next 2 days. Also just put carbon in there now that I'm done dosing with Prazipro. Or did Prazipro make the water change colors?
prazipro has caused color changes and bacterial blooms in few people tanks before. in fact i am helping a fellow reefer that reports a bacterial bloom milky water every time he uses prazipro. running carbon will eliminate the yellowness of water.
Regarding food. i dont feed flaked i only use PE mysis 80% mix with 20% brine shrimp garlic extract. for 4 fish u mentioned in QT i would do 1/2 cube perday.
a good general rule is to feed just enough food that all fish consume in 3 minutes.


__________________
Water Quality: NO3 0,Phos 0,Cal 440,Alk 7.5,Mag 1300

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2012, 10:55 PM   #134
jerkyjunky
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumair View Post
lol. but good questions. you should setup a QT and have it cycled and ready for ur fish to arrive. QT them as procedures mentioned and then transfer to main tank when it ready. Inverts and live rock dont carry ich. ich need a living fish as host. if u want u can rinse live rock in saltwater before placing in ur tank. this is jst a precaution but i havent seen such problem ever.
perhaps u r worrying too much lol.
You mention cycling the QT. When I think of cycling I think of allowing the dying matter from live rock and such to die off and let the bacteria to handle such matter breed to levels able to handle the waste. In most QTs they are bare save some PVC. Does one really need to cycle that?

I was just planning on a 20 gal with water changes frequently and getting a hang on the back skimmer to handle the waste. Would that work well?

Sorry I didn't mention the plan before hand!


jerkyjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2012, 11:07 PM   #135
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service
 
bnumair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok, USA
Posts: 7,780
Blog Entries: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkyjunky View Post
You mention cycling the QT. When I think of cycling I think of allowing the dying matter from live rock and such to die off and let the bacteria to handle such matter breed to levels able to handle the waste. In most QTs they are bare save some PVC. Does one really need to cycle that?

I was just planning on a 20 gal with water changes frequently and getting a hang on the back skimmer to handle the waste. Would that work well?

Sorry I didn't mention the plan before hand!
yes it will work, you dont have to cycle the QT if u dont want to. u can keep enough saltwater handy to do water changes daily or as ammonia start climbing. cycle or no cycle key is to keep ammonia from building up. as long as u can do water changes then u should be fine.


__________________
Water Quality: NO3 0,Phos 0,Cal 440,Alk 7.5,Mag 1300

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 12:59 AM   #136
dotcommer
Registered Member
 
dotcommer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumair View Post
you are welcome, how is ur tang doing? did u end up with 2 tanks? HT and QT?
how is 300gal build coming along?
I just have one 20 Gallon set up as a QT tank. And actually am using it on my Black Iced clowns, or I should say clown.

A friend was breaking down his tank and had no where to put his two clown fish. and I didn't want to put them with my small Black Iced ones. But though bad communication they ended up in my hands.

I read not to put multiple sets of clowns together, but they all were getting along great for 2 months. Then a few days ago, the pair of black Iced were hiding in the rock and one of them was beaten up pretty badly. I was able to get both of them out and into the QT. Treated both of them and one of them didn't make it. The other is doing great.

My 300 Gallon build is coming along. I have a lot of the items purchased and will be starting my build thread in the next week or so.

My purple tang is still in the tank and is looking good, but I am going to QT him in the next few weeks.

How do you QT multiple fish? I was going to be going to the LA wholesalers once my 300 Gallon is up and ready for fish, and I will most likely be bringing back more than one fish. Do you put them all into one QT tank?

Thanks again for an incredible thread.


dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 03:44 AM   #137
ReeferGil
Registered Member
 
ReeferGil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommer View Post
I just have one 20 Gallon set up as a QT tank. And actually am using it on my Black Iced clowns, or I should say clown.

A friend was breaking down his tank and had no where to put his two clown fish. and I didn't want to put them with my small Black Iced ones. But though bad communication they ended up in my hands.

I read not to put multiple sets of clowns together, but they all were getting along great for 2 months. Then a few days ago, the pair of black Iced were hiding in the rock and one of them was beaten up pretty badly. I was able to get both of them out and into the QT. Treated both of them and one of them didn't make it. The other is doing great.

My 300 Gallon build is coming along. I have a lot of the items purchased and will be starting my build thread in the next week or so.

My purple tang is still in the tank and is looking good, but I am going to QT him in the next few weeks.

How do you QT multiple fish? I was going to be going to the LA wholesalers once my 300 Gallon is up and ready for fish, and I will most likely be bringing back more than one fish. Do you put them all into one QT tank?

Thanks again for an incredible thread.
Do you have youtube channel, would be cool to see your build.


ReeferGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 04:37 AM   #138
MikeYQM
Registered Member
 
MikeYQM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Moncton, NB Canada
Posts: 126
Permanent QT Question:

Looking for opinions on this idea:

I run 1% daily automatic water changes off my system. The water is always fairly clean - Nitrate less than one, Phosphate about .05 or less. What would be issues if I pumped the dump water into my QT to keep it full & running? I could run an ATO and have a divert valve to run dump water straight to the drain if the QT is in use.

I figure I could keep it cycled for low cost, with relatively clean water.


MikeYQM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 02:51 PM   #139
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service
 
bnumair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok, USA
Posts: 7,780
Blog Entries: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommer View Post
How do you QT multiple fish? I was going to be going to the LA wholesalers once my 300 Gallon is up and ready for fish, and I will most likely be bringing back more than one fish. Do you put them all into one QT tank?

Thanks again for an incredible thread.
you can QT multiple fish in same QT with help of egg crates. u can divide the tank into several sections and keep aggressive fish by themselves and non aggressive in one.


__________________
Water Quality: NO3 0,Phos 0,Cal 440,Alk 7.5,Mag 1300

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 02:55 PM   #140
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service
 
bnumair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok, USA
Posts: 7,780
Blog Entries: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM View Post
Permanent QT Question:

Looking for opinions on this idea:

I run 1% daily automatic water changes off my system. The water is always fairly clean - Nitrate less than one, Phosphate about .05 or less. What would be issues if I pumped the dump water into my QT to keep it full & running? I could run an ATO and have a divert valve to run dump water straight to the drain if the QT is in use.

I figure I could keep it cycled for low cost, with relatively clean water.
i see too many issues/complications in such system for no reason. you can keep ur QT cycled by ghost feeding it every 3rd day.
Biggest issue with such water transfer will be also transfer of parasites from 1 tank to other and thus failing the QT concept. i personally will not mix any 2 systems ever.


__________________
Water Quality: NO3 0,Phos 0,Cal 440,Alk 7.5,Mag 1300

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 01:59 PM   #141
ReeferGil
Registered Member
 
ReeferGil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 187
Cycle

This is an awesome thread! Because of it, I went out and purchased a QT. My DT is almost done cycling so the timing of finding the thread was perfect. My QT has been cycling for nearly two weeks. I am going to run it 24-7, so I started cycle with dead shrimp. The ammonia spiked within three days (10 gallon tank) and has stayed up. I removed the shrimp. My ammonia is at .05 and nitrite is at .25. Should I do wc, or just keep it as is and wait for everything to settle down?

I am running a heater, bubble stone, HOB filter, lights off. Some diatom on the glass, but very little.


ReeferGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 07:24 PM   #142
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service
 
bnumair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok, USA
Posts: 7,780
Blog Entries: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferGil View Post
This is an awesome thread! Because of it, I went out and purchased a QT. My DT is almost done cycling so the timing of finding the thread was perfect. My QT has been cycling for nearly two weeks. I am going to run it 24-7, so I started cycle with dead shrimp. The ammonia spiked within three days (10 gallon tank) and has stayed up. I removed the shrimp. My ammonia is at .05 and nitrite is at .25. Should I do wc, or just keep it as is and wait for everything to settle down?

I am running a heater, bubble stone, HOB filter, lights off. Some diatom on the glass, but very little.
cool awesome. your almost there. i would do water change when ammonia and nitrites hit 0. diatoms and algae is not a big issue in a QT. as long as u stay on top for water changes and keep light hours minimum (as fish dont need light) you wont see much algae.


__________________
Water Quality: NO3 0,Phos 0,Cal 440,Alk 7.5,Mag 1300

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 09:15 PM   #143
pfoxgrover
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 347
Thank you for putting all this great info together. I have been scouring the internet and books for about a week or two reading about QT and prophylactic treating of fish. I like your approach the best so far.

I purchased a used (pretty scratched up ) 75 gallon acrylic tank with an in tank trickle filter for use as a QT. I cleaned it all with vinegar and bleach. I put the bio balls into the overflow of one of my tanks a week ago to seed them.

My plan is to buy 2 harems of anthias. 5 Bartletts and 5 lyretail for my 240 gallon mixed reef.
I have a few questions.
1) Are there any special considerations for quarantine of anthias?
2) should I separate the Bartletts from the Lyretail with egg create?
3) Do you think 2 or 3 weeks is long enough to seed the bioballs?
Thanks again,
-Paul


pfoxgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 09:58 PM   #144
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service
 
bnumair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok, USA
Posts: 7,780
Blog Entries: 15
double post....


__________________
Water Quality: NO3 0,Phos 0,Cal 440,Alk 7.5,Mag 1300

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 09:58 PM   #145
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service
 
bnumair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok, USA
Posts: 7,780
Blog Entries: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfoxgrover View Post
Thank you for putting all this great info together. I have been scouring the internet and books for about a week or two reading about QT and prophylactic treating of fish. I like your approach the best so far.

I purchased a used (pretty scratched up ) 75 gallon acrylic tank with an in tank trickle filter for use as a QT. I cleaned it all with vinegar and bleach. I put the bio balls into the overflow of one of my tanks a week ago to seed them.

My plan is to buy 2 harems of anthias. 5 Bartletts and 5 lyretail for my 240 gallon mixed reef.
I have a few questions.
1) Are there any special considerations for quarantine of anthias?
2) should I separate the Bartletts from the Lyretail with egg create?
3) Do you think 2 or 3 weeks is long enough to seed the bioballs?
Thanks again,
-Paul

Hi Paul and thank you for ur kind words.
QT is the way to go and i see u are already on the right start.
bio balls from an established tank will definitely help seed the QT, how long to keep them in there is totally dependent on what medications u will be using.
to answer ur questions:

1. i would use prazipro or formalin to begin with then observe them over 4-6 weeks. if u dont see any signs of ich then u can transfer them, if u like to use cupramine (just because to be sure) u can do so for 2 weeks but dose copper very very slowly over several days.
i personally have 14 ignitus anthias and i only used prazi for 2 weeks and then 4 weeks of observation. no copper.

2. i would separate them as they are semi aggressive fish, territorial and skittish. (also keep top covered for jumpers, even though they are not jumpers but being active swimming school they usually swim and hang out in middle to top part of the tank and if scared they can react fast.)

3. unless u decide to use copper i would leave them there to keep bacteria intact.
keep up with water changes as nitrates may become an issue with bio balls. but nitrates are generally not harmfull for fish till they reach 90+ppm.

An advice: Anthias schools have 1 dominant male and rest females. once male dies a dominant female changes to a male. if there are more than 1 male in school a dominant male will be the only one left sooner or later.
Lyretail is not a problem as they can be bought in specific genders (male or female) but bartletts generally are not sold by genders. so watch for that. out of 20 ignitus i ended up with 8 left as rest males got killed. then i added 8 more and 6 left 2 killed. so with lots of money and patience now i have a school of 1 male and 13 fem.


__________________
Water Quality: NO3 0,Phos 0,Cal 440,Alk 7.5,Mag 1300

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE

Last edited by bnumair; 10/20/2012 at 10:05 PM.
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 10:19 PM   #146
pfoxgrover
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 347
Great information, thanks again. I was planning on using PraziPro only unless I see signs of ich (as you have instructed).
Should I wait until the anthias are all eating well before I start the Prazi?
I have never keep anthius before, I was planning on those two species because they are reported to be heartier than some and I liked the colors. My book doesn't have ignitus in it, is there a reason you picked that species?
I just looked at your blog. Amazing setup you got there!
-Paul


pfoxgrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2012, 10:37 PM   #147
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service
 
bnumair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok, USA
Posts: 7,780
Blog Entries: 15
u can use prazi any time u like. some use it as a dip or some as med dosed in QT.
anthias are great looking fish. they are very active swimmers and require small amounts of food several times a day.
I picked ignitus due to simple fact of hardiness and color. try searching ignitus anthias on liveaquaria.com


__________________
Water Quality: NO3 0,Phos 0,Cal 440,Alk 7.5,Mag 1300

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2012, 08:43 PM   #148
jerkyjunky
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 115
So the gf was wondering if I could put one of those decorative things in my QT. She doesn't quite care for it being so ... empty. I could not think of any reason not to as long as we toss it should there be an outbreak of something or other. Is there a reason that would be a bad idea?


jerkyjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 10:09 AM   #149
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service
 
bnumair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa, Ok, USA
Posts: 7,780
Blog Entries: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkyjunky View Post
So the gf was wondering if I could put one of those decorative things in my QT. She doesn't quite care for it being so ... empty. I could not think of any reason not to as long as we toss it should there be an outbreak of something or other. Is there a reason that would be a bad idea?
most decorative items are usually made for freshwater and they can leech/deteriorate over time causing more issues than its worth specially in a small system as QT.
if you can find something that is made for saltwater then sure go ahead. But remember u can never take it out and use it in any other system if medications are involved specially copper based meds.


__________________
Water Quality: NO3 0,Phos 0,Cal 440,Alk 7.5,Mag 1300

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 05:38 PM   #150
Olof
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 40
Hello Bnumair,

Of all the 100's, if not 1000's, of threads I've read here I still can't figure out how I missed this one for so long.

Here's my understanding and plan moving forward. Please comment.

1. I have a 20gal QT that I setup yesterday. Tank has small pump for flow, airstone, heater, and is covered with egg crate. No mechanical filtration as I'll be adding some sponge media to the tank once I place my first fish. Or, do I go ahead and place in QT ahead of time? I assume I can never place this media back in DT since I'll be using Prazipro? I know I can't place in DT if I end up treating with copper.
2. Fish will be acclimated per procedures posted all over this forum. Let bag volume double, dump 1/2, let it double again then fish is ready for release into QT. QT salinity will be set to match LFS, raised as needed over next 6 weeks to match DT.
3. I'll be dipping/rinsing the fish with fresh SW prior to placing in QT. Should I use a medicated dip/rinse? If so, what?
4. I see where you Prazipro treat all your fish. I assume I don't start this treatment until after the first 24hrs? I've also read not to feed them for 24hrs either as the fish should be concentrating on 'relaxing' in the QT. Two pieces of 2" pvc will be placed in QT so they have somewhere to hide.
5. Run Prazipro treatment for 2 weeks then start removal via water changes. Add some carbon at this time to also remove it?
6. Leave fish in QT for an additional 4 weeks and observe. Hopefully all is well and specimen can be released in DT after 6 weeks total.
7. I'll have new saltwater mixed and ready to go at all times. Is there a specific schedule to water changes or only as Ammonia, Nitrites, etc dictate? I'm planning on 5gal water changes. Is that too large or does it matter?

I think that's everything. I'm planning on picking up first two fish ( clowns ) on Thursday. Anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance,


__________________
190gal w/45gal sump started 09/01/12, 200lbs Marshall Island LR, 4" sandbed, Vortech LEDs and twin MP60s...
Olof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.