Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > SpectraPure
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/15/2018, 01:52 PM   #1
HBtank
Premium Member

Breakthrough monitoring?

So I am looking to swap to Spectrapure DI resin cartridges (old 6 stage thefilterguys RO/DI system) going forward and being better about monitoring for breakthrough to actually get the extra value from them.

In the past I have always relied on bulk color changing resin and simply moving my 6th stage mixed-bed DI to the 5th stage (and putting new mixed-bed DI in the 6th) when the color completely changed in the 5th. This almost always occurred before an in-line meter actually read above 0 TDS after the 5th stage, but knowing these meters are not perfect I assume it is 0-1 ppm.

What I was confused about is using in-line "TDS meters" as the method of tracking breakthrough/replacement on the 6th stage "Enduro DI" if the TDS is always 0 after a 5th stage Maxcap? Since I would no longer be swapping stages, I wan't to ensure I am using it fully, but looking at the manual (and from my experience) I do not see how there is a scenario the sixth stage would read above 0 ppm if I keep the maxcap maintained? And frankly, I never want to use TDS after my final stage as an indicator, the intention is for that to be the fail-safe.

My tap is 200-300 TDS, and I generally get 2-3 ppm after my RO.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA

Last edited by HBtank; 02/15/2018 at 02:33 PM.
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2018, 09:27 PM   #2
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

I am looking at those resins as well. I am thinking I may get another housing, and run one of the mega maxcap then two of the enduro. Then when I start to see breakthrough of the first endoro swap it out the last one to the middle and put the new one on the end. My understanding is the best way to measure TDI is to put a little drain in between each stage, then you can measure them all with a more accurate hand held meter like this one.

http://spectrapure.com/TEST-KITS-MET...d-EC-TDS-Meter

The setup will be more expensive at first, but it will let you get full use of your DI resin, and never have break through. Plus, you can measure TDS anywhere along your system as long as you cut the line and run a little drain line with a ball valve. Plus, those inline meters aren't very accurate, and the hand held is suppose to be the best one on the market until you spend many times that for professional equipment.

So my method would be to test TDS after the max cap occasionally, once it has breakthrough, replace it. At the same time test after the middle DI canister, once it breaks through, throw it away, move the last stage to the middle and put the new one on the final stage. That way you utilize your maxcap fully and each Enduro fully, never having any breakthrough.

thejuggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2018, 09:47 PM   #3
HBtank
Premium Member

Yeah, having played with my TDS meters tonight (a COM100), I have less faith in using any of them, and TDS in general, for monitoring breakthrough on the final filter.

I was already thinking of just getting the maxcap add-on package since my current single housings annoy me and I want a new in-line meter (good price all together), and then using mixed bed as a third with one of my singles. But why not just grab the enduro... and then upgrade to all mega filters later.

I am all good with spending upfront and having redundancy so I don't worry about if a meter is calibrated or not

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote