Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/26/2017, 10:16 AM   #2601
illumnae
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
I didn't know about that guarantee. Then again I typically do not mail order fish (but that is going to change after seeing this post). Thanks.

Unrelated maybe but I don't understand the pricing. Not so much vs. captive bred but just in general. I am building a wish list for my 240 gallon and trying to find some Angel's that are reef save but maybe something I've seen while diving in Hawaii or Japan. I came across a Masked Swallowtail Angelfish which I believe is reef safe and they are offering it for around 200 dollars (Philippians) but another source is 55 to 66 dollars (female/male) but indo pacific.

So a bit confused what the difference is outside of location. Is that handled better, caught, shipped, color, or?
There are 2 different species of swallowtail angels being sold as masked swallowtail angels these days. Typically the more expensive Philippines ones are the "proper" Genicanthus semifasciatus. Lately in Indonesian shipments they have started labelling Genicanthus caudovittatus as masked swallowtails too.

Check carefully before you purchase.

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2017, 11:19 AM   #2602
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
There are 2 different species of swallowtail angels being sold as masked swallowtail angels these days. Typically the more expensive Philippines ones are the "proper" Genicanthus semifasciatus. Lately in Indonesian shipments they have started labelling Genicanthus caudovittatus as masked swallowtails too.

Check carefully before you purchase.
Thanks. Appreciate the information. Building a fish list that is responsible, reasonably priced, LPS and predominantly soft coral friendly and ordinal is proving challenging Then trying to mix in fish that I've seen while diving in Hawaii, Japan, and around the Caribbean, well, means I'm living on this sub forum and reading

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder w/LEDs (Upgrade in progress. 30" H x 54" W x 30" D 240 or so gallons)
saf1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2017, 09:01 AM   #2603
saf1
Registered Member

Looks like they have at least one Starcki Damsel available. Wish I wasn't in progress of the new tank otherwise I would pick one or more up.

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder w/LEDs (Upgrade in progress. 30" H x 54" W x 30" D 240 or so gallons)
saf1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 05:48 PM   #2604
mitchrapp
Registered Member

Why is the Indonesian 4" Blue Tang listed on DD today $199? That's a $120-$140 markup from the same size and locale from LA.

mitchrapp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2017, 06:02 PM   #2605
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchrapp View Post
Why is the Indonesian 4" Blue Tang listed on DD today $199? That's a $120-$140 markup from the same size and locale from LA.
How about the lennardi for $1500? Pacific isle aquatics has the same fish for $649. Both places are top notch as far as the quality of the fish they send goes.

pfan151 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2017, 08:35 AM   #2606
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
How about the lennardi for $1500? Pacific isle aquatics has the same fish for $649. Both places are top notch as far as the quality of the fish they send goes.
Looks like someone liked it, since it already sold. IDK personally, but tank conditioned and the 2 week guarantee helps compared to "arrive alive only".

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2017, 09:25 AM   #2607
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
Looks like someone liked it, since it already sold. IDK personally, but tank conditioned and the 2 week guarantee helps compared to "arrive alive only".

The warranty is definitely nice, but PIAs fish are just as conditioned as DD Fish. Not sure the 2 weeks is worth spending close to a $1000 extra. Also have to add in tax on the live aquaria orders (for me at least, not sure if that is the case in all states), PIA doesn’t have tax unless you are in the same state.

pfan151 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2017, 10:44 AM   #2608
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
The warranty is definitely nice, but PIAs fish are just as conditioned as DD Fish. Not sure the 2 weeks is worth spending close to a $1000 extra. Also have to add in tax on the live aquaria orders (for me at least, not sure if that is the case in all states), PIA doesn’t have tax unless you are in the same state.
I personally think 1500 is crazy, heck 650 is absurd for a fish that has a dismal track record in our tanks... For 1500 one could get 10 shipped from a exporter in Australia

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 2 MP60s, MP40, and a Tunze 6305
Dmorty217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2017, 12:16 PM   #2609
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

I have never seen or heard of these
I believe they are called common stripey

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon rimless saltwater reef tank and many more
fabulousfavia is online now   Reply With Quote