Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/30/2009, 08:45 AM   #1
ackee
Registered Member

first seahorses of summer

While seining for fishing bait last week (July 26) in Barnegat Bay, NJ, near the Point Pleasant Canal I caught my first 'tropicals' this year. Among them were 5 seahorses, all caught in just two passes of the seine through seagrass in about 3 feet of water. Four were large very pregnant males, about 4 inches long, and one was a juvenile about one inch long. I immediately released the gravid males. They are, I think, part of the permanent H. erectus population in New Jersey's Bays. I kept the tiny horse, placing it in a 90 gal. tank which contains mostly live rock, a pair of Mandarin fish, a Cowfish, various gastropods, shrimp, ricordia, hardy corals, etc.
We also caught a Spiny Boxfish (C. schopfi),and a few very small Spotfin butterfly fish, barely post- larval. The butterflys were, of course, released. The Spiny Boxfish (about 1 inch) I kept and is now in the 90 with the seahorse. Both will go to friends when they acclimatize. I brought a 2 inch starfish back for a small Tritons Trumpet, which couldn't consume the whole thing. Interestingly, the Cowfish, caught last year, which lives in the same tank, ate pieces of the starfish after the T.T. finished with it. I'd never seen that before. The Cowfish is a bit larger than a golf ball. It was a 3/4 inch orange 'bean' last summer.

ackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2009, 09:40 AM   #2
CNoonan
Registered Member

Nice!
I was seining a little more south (Gravel Point Beach, its looking at AC- I believe its Mystic Island?) and I caught a little less than a dozen seahorses, and some pipefish. I released everything since I no longer have a tank dedicated to seahorses.

From what I hear, seahorses have been in abundance this summer. Glad to hear.

CNoonan is offline   Reply With Quote