Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 11/22/2011, 05:39 PM   #51
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoller View Post
So do we change out bulbs after a year because the PAR drops off? I guess the real question is if the PAR drops is that the reason to change out bulbs? Or does something else happen with T5's that would make changing them out happen?
PAR drops and spectrum shifts.


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 06:02 PM   #52
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Grandis View Post
Hi Gim,
Thanks a lot for the help.

My ATI PM has the bulbs 2 and 5 connected for dusk/dawn.
So, maybe the correct position for the bulbs would be:

FRONT
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus (dusk/down)
ATI Purple Plus
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Blue Plus (dusk/down)
ATI Blue Plus

Right?

And if I would like to try to add another Aquablue Special I could:

FRONT
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Blue Plus (dusk/down)
ATI Purple Plus
ATI Aqua Blue Special
ATI Blue Plus (dusk/down)
ATI Blue Plus

Correct?

Yeap, I think the higher PAR will be very welcome by the zoas I've got!!

Thanks again!!!
Grandis.

Yep


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 07:25 PM   #53
ken6217
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,291
George at Reef Geek (great service I might add) sent me a link to someone's tank with the following bulbs in his 8 bulb Powermodule. Below are pictures of his tank. Color looks very nice.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Purple Plus
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500
ATI Blue Plus
KZ New Generation
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus










Ken


ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 11:37 PM   #54
A. Grandis
Registered Member
 
A. Grandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 3,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
Do the first mix. The second mix will be a lot whiter than you think.
Hello Ryan!
I wanted Grim to tell me more about the bulb placement on those schedules than about how much white the second will be.
Well, maybe he would say the same...
But I really appreciate your help! Thanks!


Grandis.


A. Grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 11:42 PM   #55
A. Grandis
Registered Member
 
A. Grandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 3,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reefer View Post
Yep
Alright! I think I'm learning some around here then.

Thanks again for the great help, always.

Grandis.


A. Grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 12:55 AM   #56
bellis31
Registered Member
 
bellis31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 1,028
Ok so I am curious about how others run their 4 bulb setups with 2 plugs one for each pair of lights.

If I have 1 ATI blue + and 1 ATI purple + in the front 2 spots and 1 ATI blue + and one KZ new gen in the last 2 spots, should I run all 4 all day or the front 2 part of the day or the back 2..?? see where I am going with this? What combo would be best? Tank will be mixed reef...

Thanks!


__________________
80g Custom + 29g Sump
BM Curve 5 Skimmer - Eheim 1262 Return Pump
2 Vortech MP10wes + 2 Vortech MP40wes
2 Radion G3's + Apex Jr Controller + WXM
bellis31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 01:12 AM   #57
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellis31 View Post
Ok so I am curious about how others run their 4 bulb setups with 2 plugs one for each pair of lights.

If I have 1 ATI blue + and 1 ATI purple + in the front 2 spots and 1 ATI blue + and one KZ new gen in the last 2 spots, should I run all 4 all day or the front 2 part of the day or the back 2..?? see where I am going with this? What combo would be best? Tank will be mixed reef...

Thanks!
Run one set 10 to 12 hours or so as your dusk/dawn pair and the others 5 to 9 hours a day. Just pick a mix you for the dusk/dawn. Either 2 blue plus or a blue plus and the purple plus.


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 01:19 AM   #58
bellis31
Registered Member
 
bellis31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reefer View Post
Run one set 10 to 12 hours or so as your dusk/dawn pair and the others 5 to 9 hours a day. Just pick a mix you for the dusk/dawn. Either 2 blue plus or a blue plus and the purple plus.
I see now thank you very much!


__________________
80g Custom + 29g Sump
BM Curve 5 Skimmer - Eheim 1262 Return Pump
2 Vortech MP10wes + 2 Vortech MP40wes
2 Radion G3's + Apex Jr Controller + WXM
bellis31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 08:17 AM   #59
aqua80
Registered Member
 
aqua80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Posts: 583
Will have tomorrow my first t5 fixture - ATI PM 8x24w - to be on my 29x29x24"
sps cube...

will be running with the following bulbs :

Front to back:
1- ATI Blue Plus
2- ATI Aquablue Special
3- KZ Fiji Purple (plug 2 )
4- KZ Coral Light 10K
5- ATI Blue Plus
6- ATI Blue Plus (plug 2)
7- ATI Aquablue Special
8 - ATI Blue Plus

it seems most do there dawn/dusk like this :

2 bulbs on then all 8 bulbs on...
just wondering, why not do 2 bulbs on then 6 bulbs on then all 8 on ?
thanks !


__________________
93g 30x30x24 running since 2010/06 | sump 40g | frag tank 9g | RLSS 6i | mp40/tunze 6095/wp-25 | Giesemann Spectra MH250w radium/4t5ho |

Last edited by aqua80; 11/23/2011 at 08:48 AM.
aqua80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 09:43 AM   #60
rtparty
Raise The Reef!
 
rtparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua80 View Post
Will have tomorrow my first t5 fixture - ATI PM 8x24w - to be on my 29x29x24"
sps cube...

will be running with the following bulbs :

Front to back:
1- ATI Blue Plus
2- ATI Aquablue Special
3- KZ Fiji Purple (plug 2 )
4- KZ Coral Light 10K
5- ATI Blue Plus
6- ATI Blue Plus (plug 2)
7- ATI Aquablue Special
8 - ATI Blue Plus

it seems most do there dawn/dusk like this :

2 bulbs on then all 8 bulbs on...
just wondering, why not do 2 bulbs on then 6 bulbs on then all 8 on ?
thanks !
Not sure I understand the question completely. Why not go from 2 to 6 to 8? The fixture has 2 power cords. One runs 2 bulbs and the other runs the other 6 bulbs.

So you can run 2 and then all 8 or you run 2 bulbs, turn them off, turn on the 6 bulbs and then have the 2 come on again later.


__________________
Ryan

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 10:15 AM   #61
aqua80
Registered Member
 
aqua80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
or you run 2 bulbs, turn them off, turn on the 6 bulbs and then have the 2 come on again later.
exactly that what my plan...
is that make sense ?
any drawbacks ?


__________________
93g 30x30x24 running since 2010/06 | sump 40g | frag tank 9g | RLSS 6i | mp40/tunze 6095/wp-25 | Giesemann Spectra MH250w radium/4t5ho |

Last edited by aqua80; 11/23/2011 at 10:23 AM.
aqua80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 10:46 AM   #62
Grassroots
Registered Member
 
Grassroots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kennesaw GA
Posts: 269
I was thinking for a mixed reef 40long(super shallow) to achieve more of a 20k look that still makes all the colors pop. Would this combo work or is there a more optimal combo to use?

4bulb fixture
3 ATI blue+
1 ATIL purple+


__________________
Bobby
--------------

Current Tank Info: 700+ gallons of water...
Grassroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 10:49 AM   #63
homegrownREEFER
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 173
Hey guys, time for my first bulb replacement so I wanted to get some opinions.

This is what I am thinking: 3 ATI Blue +, 1 ATI Purple Plus, 1 ATI AquaBlue**, 1 Geismann Midday (was going to go for GE Midday but the site isn't carrying them and I'll get a good deal if I order 6.)

**Should I forget about the AquaBlue and just get another Blue+?

How about some help with configuration? Would any of you mind giving me a set up? Sorry I am still new to this and I appreciate the help.

Front to back?
1
2**
3
4**
5
6

**Lights 2 and 4 are on a separate timer which I usually put on an hour or so before the rest..

Thank YOU!!


homegrownREEFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 08:42 PM   #64
jddaniel
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 582
Need a recommendation for a 2x39w T5 bulb combo. Shallow frag tank only housing corals a short time, so the color is most important. Hoping to achieve a 12-15k look.


jddaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 11:13 PM   #65
gibbus123
Registered Member
 
gibbus123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Hi mr reefer I have a 42" x 24" x 24" tall aquarium. I have ATI's 8 x39.
I find that it's time to Chang bulbs but the only brand available here are Arcadia and solarmax t5s.
Can I use the Arcadia for sps?
Bulb combo will be 6 marine white(14k) and 2 marine blue(420nm peak) bulbs.
Thanks!


gibbus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 11:50 PM   #66
Kenfuzed
Registered Member
 
Kenfuzed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Riverview FL
Posts: 2,613
I'm adding an ATI Sunpower 4x24 over my small frag tank, all SPS. I'm thinking of using the following lamps:
Blue+
GE 6500
Blue+
Blue+

And truth be told, the main reason I'm throwing in the GE is I already have one sitting around.

Is this a good combo for growing out my colored sticks?


__________________
=============================================

In between tanks.

Current Tank Info: Recently moved, will have a new tank up soon.
Kenfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2011, 12:18 AM   #67
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassroots View Post
I was thinking for a mixed reef 40long(super shallow) to achieve more of a 20k look that still makes all the colors pop. Would this combo work or is there a more optimal combo to use?

4bulb fixture
3 ATI blue+
1 ATIL purple+
'Should be fine


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2011, 12:20 AM   #68
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownREEFER View Post
Hey guys, time for my first bulb replacement so I wanted to get some opinions.

This is what I am thinking: 3 ATI Blue +, 1 ATI Purple Plus, 1 ATI AquaBlue**, 1 Geismann Midday (was going to go for GE Midday but the site isn't carrying them and I'll get a good deal if I order 6.)

**Should I forget about the AquaBlue and just get another Blue+?

How about some help with configuration? Would any of you mind giving me a set up? Sorry I am still new to this and I appreciate the help.

Front to back?
1
2**
3
4**
5
6

**Lights 2 and 4 are on a separate timer which I usually put on an hour or so before the rest..

Thank YOU!!
Blue Pus
Blue Plus
Purple Plus
Blue Plus
Midday
Blue Plus

Forget the aquablue


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2011, 12:21 AM   #69
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddaniel View Post
Need a recommendation for a 2x39w T5 bulb combo. Shallow frag tank only housing corals a short time, so the color is most important. Hoping to achieve a 12-15k look.
Blue Plus and KZ New Generation


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2011, 12:26 AM   #70
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbus123 View Post
Hi mr reefer I have a 42" x 24" x 24" tall aquarium. I have ATI's 8 x39.
I find that it's time to Chang bulbs but the only brand available here are Arcadia and solarmax t5s.
Can I use the Arcadia for sps?
Bulb combo will be 6 marine white(14k) and 2 marine blue(420nm peak) bulbs.
Thanks!
Don't know about the lamps but the mix you suggest sounds right given the choices.


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2011, 12:28 AM   #71
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenfuzed View Post
I'm adding an ATI Sunpower 4x24 over my small frag tank, all SPS. I'm thinking of using the following lamps:
Blue+
GE 6500
Blue+
Blue+

And truth be told, the main reason I'm throwing in the GE is I already have one sitting around.

Is this a good combo for growing out my colored sticks?
Yes


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2011, 08:52 AM   #72
gibbus123
Registered Member
 
gibbus123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reefer View Post
Don't know about the lamps but the mix you suggest sounds right given the choices.
Thanks!


gibbus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2011, 10:21 AM   #73
redwingrob40
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 266
Hey Grim, I recently replaced the stock bulbs in my Aquaticlife 4 bulb fixture. Here are the new bulbs in order front to back:

ATI Aquablue special
ATI Blue +
ATI Purple +
ATI Blue +

The combo seems to be rather harsh with the daylights on, should I replace the order of the bulbs? or maybe replace the aquablue or purple + with something else? With the timer on this fixture kinda limited on bulb placement for dawn/dusk.... Keep mainly SPS, some LPS and would like to add a clam soon.

BTW run the lights- 2 hours- 2 blue+ in the morning, then 8 hours of all lights, then another 2 hours of 2 blue + in the evening.

Thanks for any suggestions.


redwingrob40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2011, 11:00 AM   #74
drewfish
Registered Member
 
drewfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 66
Ok, 6x24w ATI Sunpower over 36g 24'' tall tank going to be mixed sps lps reef with sps at top and clam in sandbed.

Front

KZ NG
B+
P+
GE6500K
B+
B+

Morning KZ and B+ for 2hrs then all for 8 and evening B+, B+ for 2hrs then moonlights. Think I got it but want the boss' (Grims) approval. And I'm thankful on this Thanksgiving day for all you have done for countless people on this board THANK YOU!!!!!


drewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2011, 12:02 PM   #75
Myvirtue
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Killeen, Texas
Posts: 75
Glad this post is still going. I just got home from Iraq and its time to Replace the bulbs.
Right now im running a 6bulb 54 ati powermodule setup with 2 vho's. I was wondering what bulb configuration i should go with. You helped me last time but since then I added 2 Vhos (actinics) but its time to replace them all. Can you help me with what i should buy and what order they go in? The 2 vhos go at the end with 1 on each side. Happy thanksgiving!


Myvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The T5 Q&a Thread JohnL Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment 999 01/30/2007 10:36 AM
The T5 Q&a Thread JohnL Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment 999 12/06/2006 07:45 AM
The T5 Q&a Thread JohnL Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment 999 09/28/2006 08:50 AM
The T5 Q&a Thread JohnL Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment 999 07/03/2006 06:22 PM
Please post the massive T5 Q&A Thread dc_909 Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment 0 04/27/2006 11:42 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:56 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014