Reef Central Online Community
Tampa Bay Saltwater

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 01/05/2015, 05:58 PM   #51
alanle
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadummy View Post
great thread, regulators look sweet, makes we want to build one

I was searching for a victor and came across this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AERIFORM-COM...item5402efecbd

however, looks like it was dropped, gauges are dinged and cover missing, CGA nipple bent,

So, there's a ton or regulators out there for sale, even found a few potential just listed as Victor regulator. Will have to do some homework
This is a stainless steel Victor SGT500 regulator. It's the top of the line model. The low pressure gauge is installed on the wrong port. This is an easy fix. However it has a missing cap cover like you mentioned. Like many other regulators on Ebay, you will need to replace it with the CGA320 nipple and nut. The Victor SGT500 regulator retails around $1,400 but I would pass on this one since it looks too beat up. It's still a good deal if you can get it for $40 shipped.


alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2015, 06:05 PM   #52
alanle
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 280
This is a really nice brand new Airgas dual stage. There are some biddings going on. I would pay up to $100 for this unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261722372165...165%26_rdc%3D1

This is another nice Airgas dual stage. Seller is accepting best offer. Shipping is a bit high at $27. So I would pay no more than $50 shipped for this unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161547027531...531%26_rdc%3D1


alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2015, 09:02 PM   #53
dadummy
Registered Member
 
dadummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: S.Fla
Posts: 1,019
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matheson-Tri...item19f428df05

no return

put in a lowball on the second airgas.

guess I better get a CO2 tank this week so I can test them lol



Last edited by dadummy; 01/05/2015 at 09:08 PM.
dadummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2015, 08:07 PM   #54
dadummy
Registered Member
 
dadummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: S.Fla
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanle View Post

This is another nice Airgas dual stage. Seller is accepting best offer. Shipping is a bit high at $27. So I would pay no more than $50 shipped for this unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161547027531...531%26_rdc%3D1
Well, offer was accepted, 42 bux and change shipped. Noticed after auction the second stage gauge isn't zeroed out, that will need to be replaced. There is a ding in the gauge on the backside. Hopefully the reg works, it's barely worth shipping back since the shipping cost more than the item.


dadummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2015, 08:34 PM   #55
alanle
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadummy View Post
Well, offer was accepted, 42 bux and change shipped. Noticed after auction the second stage gauge isn't zeroed out, that will need to be replaced. There is a ding in the gauge on the backside. Hopefully the reg works, it's barely worth shipping back since the shipping cost more than the item.
Nice! if you open the gauge there is a metal U shaped inside, just slightly pinch it together a bit. That will move the needle to zero.


alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2015, 09:16 PM   #56
dadummy
Registered Member
 
dadummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: S.Fla
Posts: 1,019
ok will check out when it comes, thanks for your help


dadummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2015, 09:57 PM   #57
Farkwar
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
On that polished brass unit, is there some kind of coating or spray one can put on it to keep it like that polished, in a salty sump area?

The Wika forged brass valves you have on that brass one, is $35-$45 ea. new good price? They only come glycerin filled, little overkill of course for my purpose.

Whats the max PSI on a 5 gallon aluminum tank for CO2? For some reason, I was thinking 3000. But you wrote 900 in a post, seems low.


Farkwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2015, 10:07 PM   #58
alanle
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 280
There is a coating spray that you can get from your local hardware store. The glycerin is overkilled but nice to have. They are very accurate. A few people asked me what is the different between the carbon doser box and the hoke 1300 series needle valve. All i can tell them is the 1300 series will keep the flow consistent. On the other hand, the electric regulator can fail. When it failed, the valve inside either stay opened or closed permanently.


alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2015, 10:43 PM   #59
Farkwar
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
The regulator I bought has stock gauges with the plastic bezels. Which i don't want.

Im hoping the Wika's bezels are glass. Who is your supplier for those if i may ask. I found them at Dale Foster Pressure gauges but are not in stock.


Farkwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2015, 11:07 PM   #60
alanle
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 280
Wika bezel is either steel or stainless steel. My supplier is fleabay :-)


alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2015, 10:53 AM   #61
dadummy
Registered Member
 
dadummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: S.Fla
Posts: 1,019
is this the right metering valve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoke-Meterin...item2c943935d5


dadummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2015, 10:58 AM   #62
alanle
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 280
Yes that is the right valve at very good price. I bought mine at much higher price.


alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2015, 11:02 AM   #63
dadummy
Registered Member
 
dadummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: S.Fla
Posts: 1,019
ok thanks, going to make an offer, will let ya know


dadummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2015, 06:49 PM   #64
dadummy
Registered Member
 
dadummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: S.Fla
Posts: 1,019
made an offer for $17.30, was all I had left in paypal, and it was declined. Put in another offer for 25 bux and it was accepted.

looks like they have 9 left and 4 sold in one hour


dadummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2015, 07:08 PM   #65
alanle
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 280
Its a very precise valve. This valve retails around $80 each.


alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2015, 11:28 PM   #66
Farkwar
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
Thanks for all the infos, alanle.

Just to answer my own question. The CO2 tank pressure is a matter of temperature, not amount of CO2 in tank. At room temperature it should be about 850 PSI. A 2000psi gauge should put the needle in the sweet spot.

Two, I bought a 5lb tank. Its tiny compared to the regulator which just got in today. Get at a bigger tank if you can, it looks like its weighty enough to topple it over.

I can't figure out the part or parts that connects the tubing to the Hoke valve. I'll probably just get a bubble counter to make the connection.

As you stated, eBay was good for the Wika forged gauges. Bought those today.

Thanks again, I was almost about to buy the Milwaukee regulator,,, glad I found this thread. I think this pro level set up will complement the Vertex RX-C well.



Last edited by Farkwar; 01/10/2015 at 11:38 PM.
Farkwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2015, 07:47 AM   #67
Farkwar
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 34
The Barr Report site has been down a few days now.

I wonder what happened.


Farkwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2015, 09:36 PM   #68
dadummy
Registered Member
 
dadummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: S.Fla
Posts: 1,019
one more time, hopefully this is the right solenoid, and if so what is needed to wire it up

thanks again

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191131163407


dadummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2015, 11:45 PM   #69
alanle
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 280
That solenoid will work but you will have to find the din connector to connect the wire. They are hard to come by.


alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2015, 03:42 PM   #70
dnh828
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
So I'm between a few regulators. My preference would be to buy one on amazon if possible since I have some gift cards to use up there.

The only one I found on amazon that wasn't super pricey is this one: http://amzn.com/B003GMBT7M

But it would need the CGA 320 connector I know my tank has.

This regulator seems like a good deal on a name brand brass unit: http://r.ebay.com/2YEzvH

This guy seems like stainless and possibly nicer, would love an opinion:
http://r.ebay.com/dQ6scI

This brand wasn't mentioned in the article so I'm unsure.

Another AGA:
http://r.ebay.com/zTbdtT

I think it is worth it to try and get a regulator with a CGA 320 connection already on it, as that connection will cost around $20 from my adminittedly short shopping.

I also am going to be needed a ph controller. I don't think I want a full reef controller, so how I would I hook up this guy: http://r.ebay.com/lqfO4d to a Milwaukee MC122 or similar.

I already found that hoke 1300 series metering valve listed on Ebay that was given here, that should be here in a few days.

All in cost for all of this will be $313 assuming $100 dollars for the regulator. Should I just buy the fittings (like elbows etc) at a local welding supply shop? I live in Houston so I'm sure there are a few around.

BTW I really liked the article, it was what pushed me away from investing in a dosing system and deciding to build my own reactor from various used bits.


dnh828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2015, 04:07 PM   #71
alanle
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnh828 View Post
So I'm between a few regulators. My preference would be to buy one on amazon if possible since I have some gift cards to use up there.

The only one I found on amazon that wasn't super pricey is this one: http://amzn.com/B003GMBT7M

But it would need the CGA 320 connector I know my tank has.

This regulator seems like a good deal on a name brand brass unit: http://r.ebay.com/2YEzvH

This guy seems like stainless and possibly nicer, would love an opinion:
http://r.ebay.com/dQ6scI

This brand wasn't mentioned in the article so I'm unsure.

Another AGA:
http://r.ebay.com/zTbdtT

I think it is worth it to try and get a regulator with a CGA 320 connection already on it, as that connection will cost around $20 from my adminittedly short shopping.

I also am going to be needed a ph controller. I don't think I want a full reef controller, so how I would I hook up this guy: http://r.ebay.com/lqfO4d to a Milwaukee MC122 or similar.

I already found that hoke 1300 series metering valve listed on Ebay that was given here, that should be here in a few days.

All in cost for all of this will be $313 assuming $100 dollars for the regulator. Should I just buy the fittings (like elbows etc) at a local welding supply shop? I live in Houston so I'm sure there are a few around.

BTW I really liked the article, it was what pushed me away from investing in a dosing system and deciding to build my own reactor from various used bits.
I would opt in for the Airgas regulator on Ebay. It's a better regulator than the one on Amazon. It comes with the CGA320 nipple. You save $25 on this part alone. However, it's a used unit and has a chance of internal leak. You should do a leak test (mentioned earlier in this thread). Seller is taking returns, so you don't have to worry if it leaks. You will also need the Burkert solenoid and power adapter. Contact me if you can't find it. I have a few extra.

Here are the fittings you will need for the assembly:
1) 1/4 x 1/4 hex nipple
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-Pipe-H...39b702&vxp=mtr

2) 1/4 female NPT x 1/8 male NPT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swagelok-Brass-Reducing-Street-Elbow-1-4-Female-NPT-x-1-8-Male-NPT-B-4-RSE-2-/400628585893?pt=Pneumatic_Hydraulic_Valves_Parts&hash=item5d475315a5

3) 1/8 female NPT x 1/8 male NPT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231452971272?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D2314529 71272%26_rdc%3D1


4) Swagelok reducer 1/4 tube x 1/8 NPT (this parts connects CO2 tubing to the needle valve)
http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_...7-a5d3fd3672c3

Other parts:

1) Bubble counter (this inline Fluval bubble is what I use at home. Very easy to refill the water).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluval-CO2-B...item58a822f391

2) Check valve (connect this check valve between the bubble counter and the needle vale to prevent water from entering your needle valve.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Way-Stai...item233601e976

-Alan


alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2015, 04:12 PM   #72
alanle
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkwar View Post
Thanks for all the infos, alanle.

Just to answer my own question. The CO2 tank pressure is a matter of temperature, not amount of CO2 in tank. At room temperature it should be about 850 PSI. A 2000psi gauge should put the needle in the sweet spot.

Two, I bought a 5lb tank. Its tiny compared to the regulator which just got in today. Get at a bigger tank if you can, it looks like its weighty enough to topple it over.

I can't figure out the part or parts that connects the tubing to the Hoke valve. I'll probably just get a bubble counter to make the connection.

As you stated, eBay was good for the Wika forged gauges. Bought those today.

Thanks again, I was almost about to buy the Milwaukee regulator,,, glad I found this thread. I think this pro level set up will complement the Vertex RX-C well.

Regardless of the size of your CO2 tank, you should strap it to a corner somewhere. The part that connects the tubing to the needle valve is here:
http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_...7-a5d3fd3672c3


alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2015, 05:55 PM   #73
alanle
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 280
There is only 1 Hoke 1300 series left on Ebay. The seller still had more than 10 units a few days ago. Looks like the fellow reefers snatched them :-)


alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2015, 05:57 PM   #74
Dapg8gt
Registered Member
 
Dapg8gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pacifica
Posts: 3,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanle View Post
There is only 1 Hoke 1300 series left on Ebay. The seller still had more than 10 units a few days ago. Looks like the fellow reefers snatched them :-)
I grabbed one of them =).. $20 shipped

Is the Burkett solenoid you have that much better than the ones that come on Milwaukee regulator's? I have a new Milwaukee that I can strip it off of if that's the case, if not I may need to get one from you..


__________________
15 years in the hobby yet still learning every day.

280g radium lit sps flat living in my garage rent free.

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).
Dapg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2015, 05:58 PM   #75
alanle
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapg8gt View Post
I grabbed one of them =).. $20 shipped

Nice!


alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.