Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/23/2017, 08:20 AM   #1
smoothmove
Registered Member

Naked Goby North Atlantic

Anyone else have these? I catch them in my backyard. I have about 20 in a 90 gallon tank FOWL DSB.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg big male naked goby.jpg (49.4 KB, 77 views)
smoothmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2017, 08:25 AM   #2
smoothmove
Registered Member

Also found a Striped Blenny about an inch long.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7206-1.jpg (45.9 KB, 60 views)
smoothmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2017, 09:39 AM   #3
velvetelvis
Registered Member

Cute! I love blennies and gobies. Dedicated my entire reef tank to them, as a matter of fact.

Current Tank Info: 50G US native blackwater biotope. Currently taking a break from reefkeeping.
velvetelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2017, 09:32 AM   #4
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Very cool! I have an ongoing oyster reef build that is almost ready to establish. In the meantime, I set up a 20g long version of my oyster reef. Right now, it is home to naked gobies, striped blennies, skilletfish and grass shrimp. Everything in the tank is from the Chesapeake Bay except most of the sand. Every night after work, I can't wait to get home to watch these fish

Here's a link to my last update:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&postcount=168

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2017, 11:16 AM   #5
smoothmove
Registered Member

I live on Oyster creek,NJ. Oysters are difficult. They need water that has a lot of shmutz in it. I have tried oysters, but have had water that had made them shrink. I show them back into the lagoon. Filter feeders are sometimes tough. I have kept regular clams and mole crabs alive for years in my tank. For some reason, oysters I have to throw back before they starve. Protein skimmers, especially a good one, hurt filter feeders, JMHO

Old 08/02/2017, 01:07 PM   #6
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Agreed. I'm using old oyster shells from restaurants along with some that I've collected that aren't alive. I matched the right and left halves up and glued them together and then glued them into cultches to create the habitat. I don't use a skimmer because the SG is 1.015, plus, I am going to try and duplicate the ecosystem as much as I can minus the oysters. There are a couple mussel hitchhikers on the shells that I've collected so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about them yet. If I decide to keep a live oyster or two, I would wait until the tank is well established and supplement feeding them, but I'm not sure that they're worth the trouble.

Very cool that you live so close to your collecting spots, and cooler that you all have Chasmodes bosquianus so close too. Have you collected any other blenny species? How about tropical strays? What is the SG of your creek?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Old 08/02/2017, 04:46 PM   #7
smoothmove
Registered Member

We get butterfly fish near the inlet often. Triggers and angels come in September, but they are usually to big for the tank.

Old 03/20/2018, 03:41 PM   #8
nschubert
Registered Member

What is your setup for the oyster tank? I am stating an undergrad research project on naked gobys and was looking into setting up a similar tank to track breeding rates with changes in salinity.

nschubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2018, 03:49 PM   #9
smoothmove
Registered Member

No. I have them in a mixed reef. 76-80 degrees. three inch sand bed with lots of places to hide. I haven't lost any and they are getting bigger. If you are local and want some, I catch them daily when warm.

I also catch stripped blennies, but they are aggressive only toward the same species.

Old 03/20/2018, 04:34 PM   #10
nschubert
Registered Member

That's good news, it seems they are pretty tolerant. I wish I could but I'm down in Texas. I should be getting some from collections here in West Texas where they've been found in freshwater lakes with some salinity. Just wanting to see what conditions they thrive in.

nschubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2018, 01:50 PM   #11
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nschubert View Post
What is your setup for the oyster tank? I am stating an undergrad research project on naked gobys and was looking into setting up a similar tank to track breeding rates with changes in salinity.
Maybe you meant my oyster reef tank? Here is the thread on that:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=839286

But to directly answer your questions, they're pretty tolerant of just about what you can throw at them. They can handle temperate to warm temperatures, specific gravity from 1.010 to full saltwater, and are also tolerant to ammonia, nitrite, and pH, at least more than most fish kept in the hobby (although they will do much better with good water quality. As smoothmove suggest, give them lots of hiding spots and they will do well in your tank. In my home state, naked goby fry are found well up into freshwater, so I imagine the adults can take it for shore periods of time. I had a problem with ectoparasites in my tank, and gave all of my fish a FW bath, and they weren't phased at all by it.

--Kevin Wilson