Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/20/2018, 02:57 PM   #1
gernby
Registered Member

Is this longhorn cowfish poisoning my triggerfish?

The video says it all, so it would be a waste of time to type (or read) the whole story. In short ... It seems that my cowfish might be giving my trigger daily doses of toxins to kill him slowly. I've never seen a fish die so slowly while also seeming physically healthy.

gernby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2018, 10:22 AM   #2
Sweeper13
Registered Member

Found this on Liveaquaria.

Similar to other boxfish, the Cowfish Longhorn's skin is poisonous and, when threatened, it will release a toxin lethal to other tank members, including other Longhorns.

How are the other fish? The trigger could be getting stressed out. I had a Niger trigger doing fine and then just go the other way when I put a porc puffer in the tank. I would move Blue cheese to another tank, if not you may lose all, if it is poison GL

Old 01/21/2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

If the trigger is nipping at the cowfish then it's a possiblity. I notice one of the horns is missing too. For the record I had one die while in QT in a 40g with 4 other fish and all the others weren't effected

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2018, 01:44 PM   #4
humaguy
Premium Member

No, that is not happening.

What size is that tank?
You have a fairly large sized Rhinecanthus assasi, that, in your video, seems to be acting like a trigger does. Except, he seems quite frustrated and I would bet that is due to tank size.

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatfi.../#.WmTrXGCWzIU

https://naturespoisons.com/2015/08/1...ean-pahutoxin/

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1552239

There is plenty of solid info around out there.

Good luck,

TK

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2018, 02:23 PM   #5
Pslreefer
Registered Member

Looks like tank size and water quality issues to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pslreefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2018, 02:26 PM   #6
lagatbezan
Registered Member

I'm not an expert but my guess would be that if the cowfish is releasing toxins, wouldn't it effect other fish in the tank as well and not just the one fish? are you running carbon in the tank? Hopefully that can take the toxins out of the system maybe?
was the new fish qt before adding it to the tank? if not its possible that maybe some parasite was brought in like flukes or ich.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2018, 09:08 AM   #7
McPuff
Registered Member

The trigger's behavior seems pretty normal given the circumstances. That said, I would take the trigger out of the tank and either trade it in or sell it to another aquarist. It's too big for the tank and those guys like to swim. Assasi triggers are not super common so I doubt you'll have much trouble finding a new home for him.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2018, 12:00 PM   #8
gernby
Registered Member

Thanks for all of the replies! I apologize for not posting back for so long.

It took 9 days for him to die, and it was painful to watch. I agree with many posts above that it was probably due to tank size. It is a 90 gallon bow front, which I thought would be sufficient for a fish his size. He was probably the "heaviest" fish I've ever had, due to his thickness, but his height and length wasn't any bigger than several Tangs I had in a 105 gallon reef. Anyway, I should have done more research about Triggers before buying him. I've had reef tanks for about 20 years, but this is my first "fish only" tank (sitting next to a 180 gallon extreme bowfront reef).

The cowfish, liofish, and snowflake eel seem to be doing fine, but I did have a really bad outbreak of ich after the trigger. I wound up separating the 2 aquariums, which had been sharing a sump, so that I could run copper. The ich outbreak wound up taking out a couple of the fish in my reef also, and almost killed my oldest Tang (I've had it for 13 years). Thankfully, after separating the tanks, raising the water temp from ~72 deg F to ~80 deg F, and adding 3 cleaner shrimp, the reef fish all seem virtually ich-free.

gernby is offline   Reply With Quote